Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
YEG850i
1st Gear Newbie

1991 BMW 850i m70 project

Hello everyone,

Im a long time lurker, first time poster. I've always been a fan of German vehicles, mostly owned Volkswagens or Porsche and recently (within the past 5 years) bought my first BMW. Last year I came across a beat up, almost dead 850i. This car was my dream car when I was 15 so when i saw this list for a few grand I jumped at it.....but it needs a TON of work. I possibly may have bit off more than I can chew, especially since I've never worked on an engine or restoration before.

The plan is to replace the stock 75mm crankshaft with a performance 86mm and increase the bore from 84mm to 85mm or 85.5mm with forged pistons and rods. I'm thinking about keeping the original 8.8:1 compression ratio but may drop it to 8.6:1 because I also want to boost it later. Looking at going with Schrick 264 camshafts. I dont know if I need to upgrade my lifters, springs or valves to accommodate the added horsepower.

I have started the process to find where I can buy these parts but almost all of them lead overseas or from the US......I wish we had Canadian companies that custom made forged pistons and crankshafts. There is a company out of Australia (www.pureperformancemotorsport.com) where I could buy all of those things, but i'd likely be paying way more and then pay customs on top of that. I'd really prefer to keep the money going to a Canadian company as opposed to going overseas.
YEG850i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
M4Mason
1st Gear Newbie

That sounds like an awesome build. You got any pics??
M4Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
MANDD
Autobahn East

Great stuff.

Find an M73 motor (5.4), use your M70 cylinder heads with schrick cams and get a wokke chip. With this combo you will be just a hair under the CSI power figure.

Also check out racing power plant dot com.

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG850i View Post
Hello everyone,

Im a long time lurker, first time poster. I've always been a fan of German vehicles, mostly owned Volkswagens or Porsche and recently (within the past 5 years) bought my first BMW. Last year I came across a beat up, almost dead 850i. This car was my dream car when I was 15 so when i saw this list for a few grand I jumped at it.....but it needs a TON of work. I possibly may have bit off more than I can chew, especially since I've never worked on an engine or restoration before.

The plan is to replace the stock 75mm crankshaft with a performance 86mm and increase the bore from 84mm to 85mm or 85.5mm with forged pistons and rods. I'm thinking about keeping the original 8.8:1 compression ratio but may drop it to 8.6:1 because I also want to boost it later. Looking at going with Schrick 264 camshafts. I dont know if I need to upgrade my lifters, springs or valves to accommodate the added horsepower.

I have started the process to find where I can buy these parts but almost all of them lead overseas or from the US......I wish we had Canadian companies that custom made forged pistons and crankshafts. There is a company out of Australia (www.pureperformancemotorsport.com) where I could buy all of those things, but i'd likely be paying way more and then pay customs on top of that. I'd really prefer to keep the money going to a Canadian company as opposed to going overseas.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
850, 850i, e31, m70, v12

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: