Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
magic
1st Gear Newbie

Premium Package

Whats a Premium Package in a 740I. This is a 1998.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you
magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
touchofclass
1999 BMW 740i BMW 2000IT

Premium package normally means you get sports seats...and M Parallel rims sometimes. You also need to be very careful in ensuring that all the service records are kept up to date and with a BMW dealer including mileage validation. 7 series can be very expensive to maintain if proper maintenance had not been done.. Enjoy ..
PS if you are looking for 18" original 745i rims with winter tires brand new let me know. I have a set in my garage that has been used once, since my 7 never sees winter.
Cheers
Old 01-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
magic
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks. Does it mean that it has got a sports suspension too?
I prefer the softer ride to the sports hard ride. I am having a look at it next week and would get it checked by a reputable garage if I cannot get it checked by a dealer.
My choice has come down to a Lexus LS400 1995 and a BMW 740 1997-1998. The mileage and price are the same.

Any opinions anyone? Comments would be most helpful.

Thank you
Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
touchofclass
1999 BMW 740i BMW 2000IT

Two different cars...no comparison..it all depends on what you like..7 series .expensive maintenance..and 1997-1998 goes for around $10,000 with anywhere from 120,000kms to 160,000kms most of them are off lease so you should be careful. Lexus not bad for maintenance. I suggest you get the 7 series checked out by Bimmersport ..Charlie will give you an honest opinion and what needs to get done.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
magic
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks. Both these cars are in the 210,000 km range. I will get in touch with Charlie then.
Is the ride harder on the BMW with a Sports Package than a LS400?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
Seven
Gimme The Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofclass View Post
Premium package normally means you get sports seats...and M Parallel rims sometimes. ...
The premium package does not include sport seats or m-pars. You are thinking of the sport package which also includes Shadowline trim, Steptronic Transmission, a lower 3.15 final drive ratio (versus 2.92), Vavona redwood interior trim, and depending on year and other packages, a 3 spoke steering wheel. However, I believe the sport package only became available on the 740i in '99 so it's not really a concern here.

The premium package is kinda hard to pin down as each year more options were made standard. Typically the premium package could include things like a navigation system, Xenon headlights, premium audio system, etc. But again, these all became standard as the years went on, so I can't say for sure.

This link helps to see what changes were made each year. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...w-7-series.htm

Good luck with the purchase ... Go for the bimmer man! You won't be disappointed!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Love my '00 E38 sport. I was a '94 Lexus ES300 before I went German!

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
MANDD
Autobahn East

Premium package

+1 "seven" is correct,

The premium package in 98 was Xenon lights DSP audio 16'' cross spoke wheels, heated steering wheel and wood trim variations.

Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The premium package does not include sport seats or m-pars. You are thinking of the sport package which also includes Shadowline trim, Steptronic Transmission, a lower 3.15 final drive ratio (versus 2.92), Vavona redwood interior trim, and depending on year and other packages, a 3 spoke steering wheel. However, I believe the sport package only became available on the 740i in '99 so it's not really a concern here.

The premium package is kinda hard to pin down as each year more options were made standard. Typically the premium package could include things like a navigation system, Xenon headlights, premium audio system, etc. But again, these all became standard as the years went on, so I can't say for sure.

This link helps to see what changes were made each year. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...w-7-series.htm

Good luck with the purchase ... Go for the bimmer man! You won't be disappointed!
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: