Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #16
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

wow...now i wanna have a track only car...i'd probably drive a civic hatch and keep it stock to build up a nice track car..but maybe in 15yrs! hehe..those pics are awesome..i cant wait till spring..i really want to come to mosport to see the real racing, and not the lapping events!

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #17
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
wow...now i wanna have a track only car...i'd probably drive a civic hatch and keep it stock to build up a nice track car..but maybe in 15yrs! hehe..those pics are awesome..i cant wait till spring..i really want to come to mosport to see the real racing, and not the lapping events!
Heh, I have an aquaintance who laps his Civic hatchback with a dropped in ITR engine (I believe). It's setup for the track as well so pretty much his car is track ready.
I don't know if you guys (i.e. Pat or Randy) know this guy but his name is KEN who's friends with John and his brother (Silver A4 Quattro putting about 300hp+ and the Techno Violet supercharged e36 M3), who also used to lap their cars at Mosport and Shannonville. He's an asian person and also owns an Acura RSX-Type S now. I was told that he's a quick driver and quite possibly even teach some driving schools?

All I remember two years ago, at Shannonville, when he drove his ITR with R compound tires and pretty much stock suspension (if memory serves me right), he was getting 1:14s or 1:17s on the Fabi track.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #18
XmugenX
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Heh, I have an aquaintance who laps his Civic hatchback with a dropped in ITR engine (I believe). It's setup for the track as well so pretty much his car is track ready.
I don't know if you guys (i.e. Pat or Randy) know this guy but his name is KEN who's friends with John and his brother (Silver A4 Quattro putting about 300hp+ and the Techno Violet supercharged e36 M3), who also used to lap their cars at Mosport and Shannonville. He's an asian person and also owns an Acura RSX-Type S now. I was told that he's a quick driver and quite possibly even teach some driving schools?

All I remember two years ago, at Shannonville, when he drove his ITR with R compound tires and pretty much stock suspension (if memory serves me right), he was getting 1:14s or 1:17s on the Fabi track.

I have track with him few times last year at Mosport, He is a fast and skilled driver, he is doing 1:37.xx at mosport full interior RSX-type S (I guess we should call it RSX-type R because he is using lots type R stuff on his car)
XmugenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:26 PM   #19
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
I've seen the car, and he isn't doing 1:37s at Mosport. Big wing on the back of a black RSX-Type S?

Ran into him at a Dexter day or two...refused to let me by on the straights quite often, and would be holding Peter and I up.

Car does 1:42-1:45 at Mosport at best...this is in Summer of 2002. Maybe he's done something to it since, but not that I saw then. I think he hangs out with Alan Shek from Kennedy HiFi, or whatever it's called now.

Good driver though...ran into him again at a lapping day at SMP one time.

Lousy track courtesy though, and refuses to believe that anybody might be faster than him.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:07 PM   #20
XmugenX
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
I've seen the car, and he isn't doing 1:37s at Mosport. Big wing on the back of a black RSX-Type S?
Yup that's the guy I was talking about.

I have never time him before, But I believe he is doing high 1:3? and low 1:4? and 1:37s was what he said. Look there http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=299040

I never know he had lousy track courtesy, because I am too slow
XmugenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:35 PM   #21
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
It's probably his car. Whow, never knew about the track courtousy though!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:19 AM   #22
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
since I don't get my car serviced at Raven. I'm always up for it, but I'm not about to kiss-ass for it either... not my style.
I have to blow the whistle here:
This is a common misconception.

There are MANY instructors at the BMW Club who have never spent a dime at Raven Performance or Bavarian. I am one of them. I spent most of my track life beating up on BMW's with a Mustang and I was chosen to instruct.

Over the past few years, many Raven customers have become instructors, but you can't say they aren't fast or that they can't teach.

More to it than meets the eye.....

Jordan
Old 01-21-2003, 12:04 PM   #23
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by got torque?
I have to blow the whistle here:
This is a common misconception.

There are MANY instructors at the BMW Club who have never spent a dime at Raven Performance or Bavarian. I am one of them. I spent most of my track life beating up on BMW's with a Mustang and I was chosen to instruct.

Over the past few years, many Raven customers have become instructors, but you can't say they aren't fast or that they can't teach.

More to it than meets the eye.....

Jordan
I'm definitely gonna blow the whistle on what you said also. Either you don't know the politics going on (highly doubt it) or you just don't want to admit it.... there is a HIGH AMOUNT OF KISSING ASS required to get somewhere... not necessarily funding Raven's shop. There might be the odd exception, but i'm sure certain people *cough*cough* vouched for you Jordan... don't deny it (i'm not saying you can't drive). We'll get into this in more detail over a beer as Pat mentioned. Like you said.. more to it than meets the eye.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:43 PM   #24
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

I guess that one of the downsides to having a father who instructed for 20 years is that people will always think that's the reason I'm instructing. It's an easy excuse for people who want to instruct but can't figure out how to get there. I'm used to it, even though it's false.

Politics are a fact of life- why do people think a car club is any different? Those who can figure them out can benefit- the rest will always complain that they're victims, or have been treated unfairly. That's life.

Jordan
Old 01-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #25
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

I throw my experience in here as well, I like Randy have tracked my BMW since I've owned it, and regularly tracked my CRX before that, probably started in 93. Started with the BMW club 1st with Autocrosses, then moving on to the driving schools.

For 2 or 3 years finished in the top 3-5 in there Autocross series, and racked up a total of over 24 BMW Crystal glasses (their Trophies at the time). At their driving schools, did Mosport, Shannonville, Mt Tremblant. Also participated in the Saab school once and tried to do as many track days as we could find. Stopped doing the driving schools, when I became disappointed with a couple of instructors, my car, learning curve slowed, felt a higher competitive need, and got married and bought our first house.

The following year took to Solo1 (1999) where the competitive needs were felt, but again felt disappointed with the car. Rejoined Solo1 in 2001 and finished 1st in my class, and this year finished 2nd in my class by 0.079 of a point to Rob McCauley. Interesting thing about Solo 1 are the points calculations. In my 8 events this year, finished 1st 7 times, beating Rob every time, yet he still out scored me Not bitter, because we had a blast comparing times all year. Only down side of Solo1 is sometimes you don't get enough seat time, but where your out there you have to be on!

Also did 2 years of Go karting in there at the spec series in Hamilton.

Undecided at what will happen this year, as we have moved again, and my wallet can't keep up with my hobby and needs

Will definitely do some track days, and now my son wants to do the driving schools, so we'll see what the spring brings.

My suggestion would be to start with something your comfortable with and build on that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosport grid.jpg (26.3 KB, 154 views)
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:49 PM   #26
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

Re: I did ......

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Remember this discussion?

Huh??? Where are all your posts in that thread??
Old 01-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #27
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
I'm definitely gonna blow the whistle on what you said also. Either you don't know the politics going on (highly doubt it) or you just don't want to admit it.... there is a HIGH AMOUNT OF KISSING ASS required to get somewhere... not necessarily funding Raven's shop. There might be the odd exception, but i'm sure certain people *cough*cough* vouched for you Jordan... don't deny it (i'm not saying you can't drive). We'll get into this in more detail over a beer as Pat mentioned. Like you said.. more to it than meets the eye.
Driving ability though isn't a general qualification towards instructing ability. There are some guys who are good instructors with the BMW Club, and are not great drivers. There are also fast instructors who aren't good instructors, and also fast A Group students who will NEVER be instructors, regardless of how quickly they drive, and how much they want to be instructors.

As to Jordan's situation, it has nothing to do with his father, and everything to do with his own ability to teach, as well as drive.

And while every club out there has some level of politics in it, Raven itself doesn't play a part in filling the pipeline with instructors. People ended up being instructors in the past couple of years who have had little if anything to do with Raven, and certainly haven't funded the shop. You'll have to give John more credit than that.

There is a lot more to the selection process than one person, and no one person can make or break someone from becoming an instructor.

Also, it's a LOT more work than most people believe...if you're doing it for the free track time, it's simply not worth the effort. You have to want to teach something to someone, otherwise time spent in the passenger seat is a frustrating, and potentially frightening experience.

There is a huge difference between wanting to be an instructor, and wanting to instruct. Try going to a US school sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:03 PM   #28
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Re: Re: I did ......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
Huh??? Where are all your posts in that thread??
Most of my posts were erased from the forum...(Look at my post count on the left )
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:19 PM   #29
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
Re: Re: Re: I did ......

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Most of my posts were erased from the forum...(Look at my post count on the left )

lol
hahahahahahahhahahahahaahahaha

omg that is jokes

y did they do that??

lol hahahahahah that is some funny shit though
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:58 PM   #30
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Well, I'll honestly say I bought my car with tracking it in mind, but I haven't had the chance to take it to the track yet. I'm a newb and want to learn how to drive my car at it's (and my) limits. Anyone can drive a car to it's limits (and past them), but I feel the key is getting to the limit and staying there.

I basically plan on doing at least one driving school this year and a few auto-x's. As far as racing at Mosport and such tracks, I'd like to go lapping one day, but not race.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Its habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Im Nelson, and Im a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: