Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
slimjim
Almost Sideways

e30 rear diff

Hey im interested in buying a rear dif for my 1990 325i. I would like to get something with a higher ratio 4.1 or 4.44. I was informed that i can get one out of a z3 and an e36 318ti. I was wondering if going with a a higher ratio would be a good idea?( i dont do alot of highway driving) would it put alot of stress on my drivetrain? would my mpg decrease substantionaly? and also id like to know the $$$ im looking at for both LSD and non LSD. If anyone has any suggestions where to buy it would be great too!

thanks, jake
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
i don't understand why you would need a shorter diff? for what purpose? you can find a 4.10 lsd in 318is or non lsd in any auto e30.

ps. wheres the drift vid.

Last edited by Chris de la Cruz; 01-07-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Chris de la Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris de la Cruz View Post
i don't understand why you would need a shorter diff? for what purpose? you can find a 4.10 lsd in 318is or non lsd in any auto e30.

ps. wheres the drift vid.
id like to have a shorter dif so i could have a little more fun on pavement....same reason u got one im guessing?

and as of the vid, believe it or not everytime i went (twice) i forgot the camera...well one time it was dead. Honestly thats what happened, im not embarrased to let ppl see my "noobish" drifting. Ill post it up soon enough....not getting off topic but does anyone know a place to practice drifting and have a little fun? i go near erin mills prkway and the 407....bunch of factories
Old 01-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
you're so bait.....but yah your mileage will suffer with a higher ratio diff. You can find a 4.10 open diff for under $100 for sure. A LSD will run you $200+ for one with decent mileage. you will be reving more, so you are putting a wee bit more stress on your driveline obviously. Let me tell you if you dont know, bouning off your limiter with your m20 too much can break a rocker arm. If you think you need something higher for your "drifting", you dont.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
slimjim
Almost Sideways

lol ill have that video, honestly thats what happened....and its not so i can "drift", if thats the impression your getting...if i did do it for drifting i would rather buy a pair of tires with next to no tred for next to nothing and go drifting. my friends dif is leaking left right and center and i am thinking about joining CASC this year and having some fun and i think this would be a nice inexpensive upgrade. so y not kill 2 birds with one stone and buy one for myself and give him my old one (i know all he needs is seals but w/e) to my friend. id also like to start "experimenting" with the car, i didnt buy it to never work on it, i enjoy learning. and as for ur comment about the rocker arms, im planning on buying an extra cylinder head and rebuilding it in the near future and maybe buying aftermarket rocker arms such as billet rocker arms.

Last edited by slimjim; 01-07-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Chris de la Cruz

actually i have a 3.73 lsd in my car. But you're not making any sense here. You haven't even been out to any autocross/ track events yet and you're seting up your car with a shorter diff? I don't think that should be your first mod.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
actually i have a 3.73 lsd in my car. But you're not making any sense here. You haven't even been out to any autocross/ track events yet and you're seting up your car with a shorter diff? I don't think that should be your first mod.
then what would u suggest?...
Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
then what would u suggest?...
Fix any items that need attention. Even regular maintenance does wonders for an old car at this age and condition. Suspension bushings, tires, belts, hoses, after the car is in 110% condition, then I would start to drive it hard.

Secondly, a driving school does wonders for your skill too. Makes up much more than a cheesy mod that you will not get the best out of if you don't know how to use it properly.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Jamil
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Fix any items that need attention. Even regular maintenance does wonders for an old car at this age and condition. Suspension bushings, tires, belts, hoses, after the car is in 110% condition, then I would start to drive it hard.

Secondly, a driving school does wonders for your skill too. Makes up much more than a cheesy mod that you will not get the best out of if you don't know how to use it properly.
I'd like to second what these guys are saying. I was in the same situation as you, I just got my car last year. I've spent the previous year basically replacing worn out parts (lots of them) and it's made a huge difference, more than I would have gained by starting to modify the car while keeping them. Just replacing the rear subframe & control arm bushings improved the handling tremendously. Next is to make sure my 20 year-old injectors are clean. I also attended the April driving school at Mosport which really helped me understand my car more. Maybe after you've done all that you can think about modifying it but before that it doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Jamil; 01-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
slimjim
Almost Sideways

I have done everything to my car that has to be done. it runs great, no leaks, no creaks etc... everythings fine and i dont want to go out and use 1000$ dollars on a full suspension kit simply becuase im a student and i barely make enough to cover insurance.I am looking for things from 0-400 max. I have considerd m50 fuel injectors but after reading the threads i am convinced that i do not need larger fuel injector ( alpina got 210hp with stock injectors.) my car is chipped, shifter joints replaced, brakes, new ditributer, plugs, water pump, belts, hoses, toyo proxies 4 etc... everything runs TIGHT next thing is to adjust my valve to rocker arm gap but all i need is a new gasket for that... i have even completed all the body work on my car (i didnt just sand surface rust down if thats what ur thinking.) SO... any other suggestions, i really want to start doing something and learn! i was also thinking of a larger AFM. however i think it would be a very tedious and risky set up especially for a teenage. i dont have acces to a dyno and so adjusting the AFM would be a little difficult and again, for the amount of money for just the increase of maybe 5hp?

I am also thinking about buying a cylinder head and rebuilding it over time (due to $$$) with higher grade parts and maybe TRYING to do some porting. is there a thread out there about porting? i have done it on a couple 4 stroke dirtbikes (i know its not the same thing but....) and again, i just want to start doing something and learning.

Last edited by slimjim; 01-07-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
Chris de la Cruz

again... whats wrong with learning stock?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Okay, well I am not going to be an asshole on this subject as I was going to write otherwise but decided not to.

To answer your question, get an e30 M3 diff which is LSD with the ratio 4.10. That will be enough to make you pee your pants. A 4.27 or a 4.45 would be stupid, not to mention it would be ridiculously expensive and kill your gas mileage. Budget about 300~500 for a very good condition LSD diff. 500 at THE MOST

No I don't know of any for sale either. Sorry.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
again... whats wrong with learning stock?
im not saying i want to improve my driving skill by putting new parts, i just would like to learn more about the car mechanicly and upgrades that i can do to the car and the rear dif seemed like a good and fun place to start....but obviously not.

Last edited by slimjim; 01-07-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Okay, well I am not going to be an asshole on this subject as I was going to write otherwise but decided not to.

To answer your question, get an e30 M3 diff which is LSD with the ratio 4.10. That will be enough to make you pee your pants. A 4.27 or a 4.45 would be stupid, not to mention it would be ridiculously expensive and kill your gas mileage. Budget about 300~500 for a very good condition LSD diff. 500 at THE MOST

No I don't know of any for sale either. Sorry.
i dont know what there is to be an asshole about? i would just liketo become more mechanically inclined and know whats going on with the car and such. i dont think that upgrading my car will improve my driving skill..thats ignorant.

Question!..today i replaced a wheel bearing on friends e30 and i noticed that both driveaxels have a little bit of play where they connect to drive axel, is this normal?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Question!..today i replaced a wheel bearing on friends e30 and i noticed that both driveaxels have a little bit of play where they connect to drive axel, is this normal?
I don't understand. The 'drive axles' have a bit of play where its connected to the 'drive axles'. What?

If you mean the hub is moving, are you sure you tighten the nut on the halfshaft enough??? That thing should be cranked right tight. The wheel bearing is in all the way, straight and proper?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: