Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Winter tires - Michelin Xi2 or Blizzak WS-50?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new/used set of winter tires for the winter for my E30. Doing some online searching found me:

A new set of 14" Michelin X-Ice Xi2 - $300

Or a used set (unsure of actual tread depth/condition yet - pics look OK, but that's hardly definitive) of Blizzak WS-50 and they happen to be on a set of VW 14" rims - $100.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with these tires. My current set of winters are the original version of the X-Ice, which have served quite well.

I'm leaning towards the Xi2s as they are new. One concern - some reviews I've seen on a couple of sites state the snow handling is bad with them. If they are anything like the original X-Ice, I can't see how that could be - Never had issues with my VWs or my E30.

Any input is very welcome.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."

Last edited by estoguy; 09-01-2015 at 06:14 PM.
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Just make sure they aren't new old stock. Any winter tire more than 7 years old by the DOT date on the sidewall has the softness of a hockey puck...ergo, no good even if the tread is fine. The xi2 has been out of production for some time.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Wanted to update this in case anyone might be in the similar situation.

I did get the Xi2s. Yes, they were older stock but not too old. And they have been awesome. Plus being never used, I'll get lots of life out of them. I've put almost 15K km on them so far, and the winter driving has been problem free!

Personally, based on reviews I read on the Xi2s, not sure what people were talking about in terms of the snow handling. I've been out on heavier snow days up here, and had no problems. Performance on icier roads has also been stellar and definitely improved from the first gen X-Ice. For a total of $270 (including getting them mounted and balanced at one of the high schools I supply teach at), it was money well spent.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
mech9T8
4th Gear Member

I had both on our CRV and the Blizzaks were better. I'm not saying night and day difference. The Michelins are very good but not as good IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: