Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

Fog lights as headlights (legal?)

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's legal in Ontario to run headlights (HIDS in my case) in my fogs, and just have angel eyes or nothing in my headlights.

If so how would the lighting be as compared to running the hids in my headlights?

Also, sort of unrelated, I currently have 6000k HIDS in my headlights and they seem to blind a lot of people. For example if I'm making a left turn at an intersection, I usually blind the person making a left turn in the opposite direction and I frequently get high beamed or dirty looks. Also If i pull up behind a car at a red light I totally light up their interior and they usually flick their rear view mirror to avoid the glare of my lights or signal to me to turn off my high beams (even though they are not on). They are aimed almost as low as possible on an e36. Will positioning them in my fogs create less of a blinding glare, as they will no longer be at eye level to most other drivers ?(unless someone is dumped that low...lol)
kzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
in order to use fogs as your driving ligihts, (lowbeams), they must be able to illuminate a sign 150 meters away. Your fog HID's should do that just fine.

Having said that, i have modified foglights. Depo Euro clears + HID's + restrictor plates cut out (max brightness), and i still dont think they're bright enough to drive with, unless, the road has road lights. If its completly dark, you need more lights.

What kind of headlight housings are you running?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
e46silver
2003 325i TiAg

Turn on your headlights at nite time for crying out loud... they are there to serve its purpose. No one gives a shit about how nice your AE setup if you can't drive properly due to visibility.. and more likely you will get pull over by cops too.. Not worth the hassle.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

In the front all I have is my corners on (DRL removed) and 3000k H1 fogs on. You should be fine. Its just temporary for me until I get my TSX retrofit done with some Umnitza or DIY AE.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Its very unlikely you actually get pulled over for driving like that, and if they do pull you over, there's not much the cops can do. Those lights are legal.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
Old 12-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

well in my case drive with stock fogs running hids, and for my headlights i have just the AEs, so far i didnt have a problem with cops or visabillity, fogs are aimed a little bit up, and i think light up the road good!!! BTW i saw your car on steeles like a week ago, and yeah your hids blind people, i was one of them!!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

you saw my car on steeles last week?

hid headlights hid kit
Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

Headlight housing is depo (glass). So I guess my major concern would be that I won't have sufficient lighting running simply HID fogs. So in that case I might as well keep a nice of h1 bulbs in my lowbeams and turn them on whenever need be. If I find the road is well lit or its not too dark out I can just run the fogs and keep my lowbeams off an ae on. My next question would be is who makes good headlight bulbs? (non hid). I want a nice light, without the cheap yellow halogen look
Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

No he saw mine...I'm on steeles all the time..lol. Ya I need to fix those blinding lights asap...sorry for that! lol
Old 12-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

v_bimmer , what colour is your car?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

If you have depo headlights, and you're blinding people, your headlights aren't adjusted correctly.

Be sure you set both adjustment points, both the internal one in the light, as well as the external one which attaches the headlight housing to your rad support.

depo's have cutoffs, cutoff= no blinding.

hid headlights hid kit
Old 12-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

hmmm , I don't think both are adjusted, I only remember adjusting one, the internal one I believe. Got a link for a DIY?
Old 12-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

There's an opening for an allen key on the top of the headlight housing. I believe counter clockwise is to lower it.
This seems to be the one you've done already.

The other adjustment is considerably easier to do.
1. Open hood
2. Look at the top screws holding the headlight in. There should be 2 (OEM is 3, no one uses the middle one) 8mm screws holding the headlight into mounting peices on the rad support.
3. Unscrew those 8mm screws.
4. If you look at the mounting peice you just unscrewed those 8mm from, they themselves are threaded. The farther out you unscrew them, the lower your light will be. The farther you screw them in, the higher your light will be.
5. In your case, unscrew them almost as far as they will go, but enough to still be threaded into the rad support. You dont have to remove the headlight to adjust them, just angle the headlight away from them and unscrew.
6. Turn the car on, turn HID's on, see if they're the right level. Play with it until it is, then re-thread the 8mm screws.

You're done.

hid headlights hid kit
Old 12-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

Thanks a lot man! I'll try it out tonight
Old 12-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #15
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

hmmm, so Is this basically the threading piece that the 8mm screw is connected to? Maybe I'm missing something but how does moving those out change how my headlights aim?
What a good tool to move them with, they felt very firm in their place (after I removed the 8mm).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: