Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #16
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Well, got the car back last night ($2346 -- mostly parts). I had no idea that this was such a big job. Apparently one has to drop the oil pan to take off the timing cover.

Todd showed me the parts (kicking myself for not taking my camera), and the plastic on the chain guide was completely toast -- just a ton of little bits and pieces. The rest of the associated parts looked good, but then they look great right up until they go, don't they?

I had my chat with him about sating something would happen and when, and then missing that time completely. I tried to be very constructive. He had a point -- to a certain degree -- when he said that it was better for his business to anger one customer than twenty, but I noted that a simple phone call to say that he had gotten suddenly very busy might have been nice.

Of course, me being me, I feel terrible for even raising the issue, but that's neither here nor there. I felt worse when I realised that the car had never run better.

Of course -- naturally, because I need more stress -- a CEL came up this this morning. I'll check it out tonight.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Well, got the car back last night ($2346 -- mostly parts). I had no idea that this was such a big job. Apparently one has to drop the oil pan to take off the timing cover.
Wow, I had no idea that job would cost that much, sorry to hear that man, especially taking that hit right before the holidays. Where did he source his parts do you know?

Quote:
when he said that it was better for his business to anger one customer than twenty, but I noted that a simple phone call to say that he had gotten suddenly very busy might have been nice.
That to me is not a way to run a business though. It shows me that he's taking on more work than he can handle. If he makes a commitment to a customer he should follow through, not take on 20 more jobs and put the first ones on the side burner. Especially when we're talking about a $2000+ job here. Not to mention, to anger one person who is part of the ottawa BMW community, is probably a lot worse for his business then it would have been to anger those other 20 people. Ah well, just my 2 cents.

If you need to borrow my code reader for that CEL, just let me know.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Wow, I had no idea that job would cost that much, sorry to hear that man, especially taking that hit right before the holidays. Where did he source his parts do you know?

That to me is not a way to run a business though. It shows me that he's taking on more work than he can handle. If he makes a commitment to a customer he should follow through, not take on 20 more jobs and put the first ones on the side burner. Especially when we're talking about a $2000+ job here. Not to mention, to anger one person who is part of the ottawa BMW community, is probably a lot worse for his business then it would have been to anger those other 20 people. Ah well, just my 2 cents.

If you need to borrow my code reader for that CEL, just let me know.
He got them fom BMW. I know he went elsewhere first, but many of the pieces were dealer only. Labour was 12 hours @ $65/hr, which is actually pretty good considering the oil pan had to be dropped, the valve covers have to come off, everything at the front of the engine has to come off, etc.... I spent a bit extra, telling him to change some of the pieces while he was in there. The waterpump was fine, but I had him put on a new fan clutch just in case.

I am frustrated that my car had to sit that long. Really. Three weeks? Come on. He claimed that it would have sat at least that long anywhere I would have taken it. This I doubt.

The most confrontational thing I said to him was after he said the "anger one customer rather than 20" thing. I said "That's great advertising for Duss Brothers."

I have a code reader, so I'll take a gander tonight. It could be completely unrelated.

By the way, has anyone noticed that when their battery is disconnected, then reconnected, the pixels on the instrument cluster display come back?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I am frustrated that my car had to sit that long. Really. Three weeks? Come on. He claimed that it would have sat at least that long anywhere I would have taken it. This I doubt.
Yeah, there is no way. I've seen complete engine rebuilds take less than 3 weeks. 3 weeks for 12hrs labour. That means the car sat with no work being done for like 100+hours. That wouldn't happen with most other shops.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

in the context of mechanics

I called some place recently they said they could book me in 1.5 weeks later
1yr back approx, took a 'good reputable' shop on bentley ave 2weeks to do my brakes on a jetta.

bike shops in the spring 3week, 1 month back log - car shops in the winter: snow tires keep people waiting

I heard on the news that there is going to be a shortage of mech's soon, as the older gen retires

1 thing i can tell you is: if your a new customer paying full retail - you get better service..usually :lol

want a 'deal', you'll wait.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
in the context of mechanics

I called some place recently they said they could book me in 1.5 weeks later
See, that's alright though. If they know they have a back log and are at least scheduling their work. That's better then saying, oh yeah we can take you today, and then have your car sit there for 3 weeks.

Quote:
1yr back approx, took a 'good reputable' shop on bentley ave 2weeks to do my brakes on a jetta
That's inexcusable...they won't be reputable for very long if they do stuff like that. 2weeks for a 1-2hr job, something's not right there.

As expensive as either Rudy or the dealer is, when they make an appointment, you know they aren't taking more work than they can handle, and you'll have your car back same day. A good shop knows how long a job takes and will schedule all their appointments accordingly. I'd be a much happier customer if they told me I couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks, but when I had my appointment my car was back to me on the same day, rather then a mech taking too many jobs all at once and having my car sit there for weeks.

With Rudy, I've only ever gone to him for major work, and he always gets the car back to me same day, and more often then not, before noon. He might be expensive, but he knows his shit, and Terry knows how to schedule appointments.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
Manimillion
Photographer

philboski, what do u drive? and what part of barhaven do you live in?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz View Post
whats his contact info, i need a front drive shaft fast!!

Sorry, forgot to post this -- 613-692-1546. He's on Ann Street in Manotick.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimillion View Post
philboski, what do u drive? and what part of barhaven do you live in?
I drive a '97 540I6, Dark Oxford Green on green leather (hence the Hulk thing for my avatar). On hundred and seventy-five thousand kms on the clock.

Why? Wanna buy it?

I live near Greenbank and Fallowfield.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
With Rudy, I've only ever gone to him for major work, and he always gets the car back to me same day, and more often then not, before noon. He might be expensive, but he knows his shit, and Terry knows how to schedule appointments.
Another advantage for me would be that one of the techs at Duss Bros. is lifelong friends with the guy who sold me the BMW, so he would know the car. He's a huge guy (and coming from me, that means something) named John, IIRC.

And the expense is relative -- I got a clutch quote from Duss for $1000 including all the "while we're in there" bits. I consider that very fair. hell, my door handle cost me $400!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #26
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Another advantage for me would be that one of the techs at Duss Bros. is lifelong friends with the guy who sold me the BMW, so he would know the car. He's a huge guy (and coming from me, that means something) named John, IIRC.

And the expense is relative -- I got a clutch quote from Duss for $1000 including all the "while we're in there" bits. I consider that very fair. hell, my door handle cost me $400!
$1000 is pretty reasonable. You could probably even knock that down to $800 if you supply the parts.

And note to self...don't break door handle. $400 ouch.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #27
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, they're cheap potmetal that breaks easily. You have the part, add in the labour, painting, and it gets big in a hurry. And it happened last January, so it was a huge pain.

BTW, the codes are the 1174 and 1175, fuel trim adaptation additive in both banks. Not a new code for me, so not Todd's fault.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #28
chromius
6th Gear Member

Ah yes...I've had both those codes. Turned out to be the MAF. If you want to borrow my laptop and check what the Long term fuel trims are reading let me know. Might point you in the right direction for a repair. FYI the car had loads more power after the MAF replacement.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #29
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Wow, guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My mech usually takes me same week, next day if I'm in a jam. Last time I saw him he took me next day, just before the snow hit. Good timing on my part...

Mani, how's the ti treating ya?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #30
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Ah yes...I've had both those codes. Turned out to be the MAF. If you want to borrow my laptop and check what the Long term fuel trims are reading let me know. Might point you in the right direction for a repair. FYI the car had loads more power after the MAF replacement.
Hey thanks for the offer, and I'll take you up on it! How does this work? I was just going to switch back to a paper filter and clean the MAF, but if I can get better infor, I'll take it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: