Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Hamann3
Go big or go home

imported a 530I form U.S need recall letter

I just imported a 2002 530I from the U.S, but starting to have some problems here in Canada with registaring it.
Is it true that the recall letter can only be valid if its from the BMW dealership at that it costs $500 for just a letter? Has anyone done this before can I get this letter somewhere else or perhaps anyone work at BMW that can get me this for for a little less.
From what I heard it should be free? Any input would be appreciated
Hamann3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
hey i dont know the answer to your question but I've been in the market for the exact same car and been thinking about looking to get one from the states .. Do you mind giving a little bit more detail on the car and how much you picked it up for?
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
BimmerNewbie
1st Gear Newbie

I know its going to sound dumb, this is one of the ways that BMW Canada is making cross border shopping more difficult. They have instructed all dealers in Canada to charge the $500 for this letter. You are correct to say that in the states it is free however, all US dealers have also been instructed not to give these letters to Canadian buyers. There was an article in the Globe a few weeks back interviewing one of the Big Wigs at Bimmer Canada and this is one of the things that they talked about.
BimmerNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNewbie View Post
I know its going to sound dumb, this is one of the ways that BMW Canada is making cross border shopping more difficult. They have instructed all dealers in Canada to charge the $500 for this letter. You are correct to say that in the states it is free however, all US dealers have also been instructed not to give these letters to Canadian buyers. There was an article in the Globe a few weeks back interviewing one of the Big Wigs at Bimmer Canada and this is one of the things that they talked about.
It has been $500.00 for a while. It's nothing new.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Alaric
1st Gear Newbie

There is a way around this. RIV is aware of BMW Canada charging $500 for the letter. So they are allowing you to bring in a "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry" letter, along with the screenshot of the actual screens (showing that there are no open campaigns with your car). make sure your VIN is on it somewhere as well.

I did this when I imported my ZHP last week, with no problems whatsoever.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
There is a way around this. RIV is aware of BMW Canada charging $500 for the letter. So they are allowing you to bring in a "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry" letter, along with the screenshot of the actual screens (showing that there are no open campaigns with your car). make sure your VIN is on it somewhere as well.

I did this when I imported my ZHP last week, with no problems whatsoever.
How can I get this letter and the screen shots?
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Alaric
1st Gear Newbie

You can get one (for free usually) at an American Dealer
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I got this recall letter directly from BMW USA when I imported my '87 E30 M3. Talk to their customer service. OR better yet, find someone in the USA to do this on your behalf............ say off one of the BMW forums........ and have them send it to you.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Letter

I also got this letter free from BMW USA when I imported my 91 M5 last December. They may be more lenient on cars more than 15 years old though, since they don't have to meet any CSA safety or RIV requirements. ie. child seat tether and DRL
MGYVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
Hamann3
Go big or go home

what is riv stand for? is that in us?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamann3 View Post
what is riv stand for? is that in us?
RIV stands for Registrar of Imported Vehicles. It's Canadian.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
You can get one (for free usually) at an American Dealer
If it's from the dealer, they will tell you to go to BMW Canada to get it, new rules. Which dealership did you go to, to ask for it?
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

I imported a few of them a couple years back.. All you do is call BMW NA. You can find the phone number on the main website. You give them the VIN number of your car and they do a check to see if all the recalls have been done. If they've been completed they will fax you the letter or mail a copy out if you want. If not your supposed to have the recall done before the car enters the country. I don't know what you would have to do if it needs a US recall an is already in canada. Hope this helps ya. Oh and I never had to pay for the letter and it usually only took about an hour from the time I called till I actually had the letter. Easiest part of the importation process.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
///MP
Purveyor of Useless Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
I imported a few of them a couple years back.. All you do is call BMW NA......Oh and I never had to pay for the letter and it usually only took about an hour from the time I called till I actually had the letter. Easiest part of the importation process.
They changed it a few months ago. No more freebies from BMW!

Also (I think it was mentioned in another thread as well) the '95 M3 is no longer admissible to Canada. I don't know when T.C. changed it, but I just saw it on the updated list.

MP
///MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
Hamann3
Go big or go home

I was just scammed from this scam artist he emailed me to my thread "imported a 530I form U.S need recall letter" these guy James aka "dephrag" pm'd me and said he had a link to get these letter for $125 and promised me that if it didn't work he would refund me the money.

Yesterday I came back from the RIV and they said that it was not the original but a fake that it had no stamp and it didn't have the authentic letter head on it, and also they will not accept the American recall letter, but the Canadian.

Today I went with the Canadian recall letter from BMW Canada and they accapted it so I called James, and he now says for me to fax the original to him, in your dreams buddy so you can turn around and scam Max Members $125 for a photo copy.

The authorities will be advised, and so will every BMW forum in Canada aswell as Maxbimmer board members

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: