Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

A hard look at the `street racing' law -and Why we have this new law

-
here's a great article READ IT.

it would appear we have this law cause a Drunk left turned infront of cars doing 112kph in a 80 zone.

Quote:
A hard look at the `street racing' law

Recent passage of Bill 203 will only be a lucrative source of revenue for the government

Tim Chisholm
Special to the Star
Nov 17, 2007

Ontario Bill 203 was supposed to be a proposal to combat street racing, but it's just politics at its worst.

A private member's bill was proposed in the spring of 2006 and was pretty much shot down. The bill has always included the controversial issue of "officer discretion" on whether the driver was "racing" or not.

About the only well-thought issue that 203 contained was making it illegal to run nitrous on the street. As hard as it is to imagine, before 203, it was not illegal to have a fully operational nitrous system on your street car.

With 203, the system can be in place, without the bottle connected, but if the bottle is connected, you are in trouble. Good on 203 for this: nitrous is for the drag strip, and that's where it should stay. There was no 50 km/h-over issue on the Bill 203 proposal.

The elected official who conceived many parts of 203 is Newmarket MP Frank Klees. Mr. Klees was the minister of transportation in the early part of this century.

I had an argument over the phone with Klees in the spring of 2006 when a "safer roads" bill was initially proposed. My argument was simple: the new law could sink a car enthusiast who is doing nothing wrong, other than simply driving his or her modified car.

It's because the bill negatively profiles the modified car enthusiast and gives the officer full discretion, with no due process for the accused. Pretty simple, a copper having a bad day can screw a car enthusiast simply because he chooses to. When I suggested that this will happen often if 203 becomes law, Klees told me he "could live with that."

I was relieved that the proposed bill got shot down.

But then in May 2006, the accident that killed Rob and Lisa Manchester, and which left their 8-year-old daughter an orphan, hit the headlines. This accident took place in Klees' riding. The accident was blamed on "street racers," reportedly travelling 150 km/h in an 80 km/h zone when Manchester made a left-hand turn into the path of the two "racers."

With the Manchester deaths, there was no way the government could continue to brush off 203 and Klees, and understandably so. Street racing killed two members of Klees' own riding and he was the man already pushing the proposal.

By the spring of this year, you'd have to be on another planet to not realize that 203 was going through. The media wheel was turning at full speed every accident headline involving "speed" was replaced with "street racing."

We had Prime Minister Stephen Harper spewing the term, Premier Dalton McGuinty following suit, and (now former) attorney-general Michael Bryant was threatening to crush cars. Then OPP chief Julian Fantino chimed in with "50 km/h over is street racing," in his opinion, and he wants a plane.

By June 2007, those of us in the enthusiast community were pointing out that only 0.12 per cent of traffic deaths are related to "street racing," and "What the hell is the inspiration for these draconian proposals?" And then whammo, Bill 203 gets royal assent. And funny, just before it received assent, the 50 km/h-over penalties were added.

In an interesting feat of timing, the boys charged in the influential accident that killed the Manchesters were due for sentencing right around the time that Bill 203's provisions were to become official.

Then a few facts started coming out. The boys were not doing 150 km/h, but actually 112 km/h. Manchester was drunk, twice over the limit. The judge ruled that the boys were not street racing, and that Manchester's alcohol level was a factor.

You have to wonder how Manchester's condition was overlooked, considering his death was exploited as a result of "street racers" for 14 months. When the fact is, had Manchester lived, he would have been facing serious DUI charges. I'm sure everyone involved will claim they didn't know, but I will always be convinced that it was nothing more than politics at its worst.

I understand that, as of last week, more than 1,300 vehicles have been seized under the new legislation. I'm not sure how many were "street racing" versus driving 50 km/h-over, but at $2,000 a judgment, it seems that Fantino might have just paid for that plane he wanted. And we will all be reminded how much safer our roads are now.

Those who express shock and outrage at people brushing off 130-140-150 km/h as not being that fast in today's machinery will find that the new "street racing" legislation will morph as time goes by.

And they may express more shock and outrage when they nonchalantly coast down an 80 km/h back road on a Sunday drive, inadvertently speed up to 100 km/h as they coast down a hill and get dinged for 50 km/h over as they enter a 50 km/h zone where the OPP are hiding. They'll then get a life-altering financial burden under legislation designed to combat street racers and make roads safer.

The car enthusiast community will continue to fight this new legislation. The law leaving the officer to be judge and jury on the side of the road and levy these types of punishments violates our Charter of Rights.

Similar laws are in place in Florida, and recently a judge there ruled in a case that the "street racing" charges made at the discretion of the officer were "unconstitutional."

So it's only a matter of time before our new visionless law gets scrapped.

It's a real shame when politicians lack vision and common sense and make knee-jerk decisions based on their heart strings. It's even worse when they let law enforcement swoop in and capitalize on a potential cash cow.

It's not about making our roads safer and ridding the roads of street racers. The ERASE (Eliminate Racing Activities on Streets Everywhere) project was designed to do that.

When ERASE ran out of applicable fines for the 0.12 per cent of trouble on the road, police started hanging out at the racetrack entrances to hassle and fine drivers who were taking it to the track. Yep, the program encouraging you to take it to the track was trying to bust you when you took it to the track.

For what it's worth, along with being a car freak, I'm a 40-year-old business professional, husband and homeowner.

And I haven't had a traffic violation charge in more than 20 years. And I am mad as hell that this legislation was passed.

My late father (also an enthusiast) taught me that the roads are a dangerous place. The highways are even more dangerous. The cars I was raised around were dangerous they could kill you in a second.

No crumple zones, no ABS, no traction control, no airbags, some had no seatbelts, and none of them had eight cupholders or GPS. I was also informed early on that I would be learning to drive with a manual gearbox.

Maybe it's time to take a step back in what we promote. I've heard some suggest that head injuries in professional hockey today could be improved if helmets were not mandatory. Pretty simple theory: you give much more respect for others' safety when you're not wrapped up in a suit of armour.

Today's roads are seriously dangerous and will not become safer. And no matter what the manufacturers tell you, the car will not save you.

Deal with it responsibly or stay off the road.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wheels reader Tim Chisholm drives a VW Rabbit and a modified Ford Mustang GT and a Morgan Plus8.

http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/32975#
[/size]
i pretty much agree with every word 1000%
Old 11-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

interesting read!!! but man every thread you make is about streetracing, come down buddy, you are not in trouble!!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
interesting read!!! but man every thread you make is about streetracing, come down buddy, you are not in trouble!!
jstalin about bankruns
europrince about canadapost.com
its nothin new lol
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for posting. I agree. This is not about safety and all about $$

Drunk Drivers should have their cars & license taken away for 6 months and mandated to go to AA for 2 years.

I have no respect for Drunks who drive.
enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Interesting read.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
Great article...

except:

"And they may express more shock and outrage when they nonchalantly coast down an 80 km/h back road on a Sunday drive, inadvertently speed up to 100 km/h as they coast down a hill and get dinged for 50 km/h over as they enter a 50 km/h zone where the OPP are hiding. They'll then get a life-altering financial burden under legislation designed to combat street racers and make roads safer."

Sorry.... if the road says 80 and you go 100... that's called NOT PAYING ATTENTION. If you pass a sign that says 50km/hr at 100km/hr... well, duh.

Every week I drive out from my residence in North York to my house in Lakefield. There are PLENTY of zones that go from 80km/hr right down to 50km/hr with approx. 500m of lead notice WHICH I OBEY. Damn, my kids go to school in that area, no way in hell I want people blasting through there at 2x the limit - AND DO NOT GET ME WRONG - the drivers out there can DRIVE, not like the retards on the roads here in the GTA. What's the point of licensing drivers if any jackass can get one?

Just do what the ****ing signs say - what's so difficult about this? Afraid of getting your plates read enroute to the track? Tow it to the track! Can't afford it? WTF are you playing this game then? Go earn a better living THEN play the game WHEN you can afford it.

Are people just ****ing stupid these days?

I play within my means. I wasn't always able to play - it took years of hard work before I could.

Last edited by 1BADRIDE; 11-19-2007 at 08:45 AM.
1BADRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
The writer of this article is from GTAMC "Greater Toronto Area Mustang Club" He has had some great posts there..
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADRIDE View Post
AND DO NOT GET ME WRONG - the drivers out there can DRIVE, not like the retards on the roads here in the GTA.
Yeah ok buddy... People in your town master drivers eh?

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You guys are focusing on the wrong aspect of this law.

my ONLY problem with this law is officer discretion. If this law remained exactly the same, except the cop can't take your car/licence at the side of the road, i'd be all for it. (look at what the laws were before. Realistically, if they dropped the licence/car impound part, the difference between what was then and what is now is:
-Before it was non-criminal, (but the courts could charge you with a criminal offense later if they so chose, and believe me, if it merited it, they would)
-The fine is now 2K, before it was closer to 1K.

**** LETTING POLICE OFFICERS BE JUDGES. THEY ARE REGULAR, POWER TRIPPING PEOPLE, MOST OF WHOM HAVE LESS EDUCATION THAN WE DO.

If i get convicted of something by a JUDGE, i'd be far less likely to think i've been done wrong than if i am "convicted" of something by a cop.

On a side note, a friend of mine got a racing charge last week (in his range rover. Family men are streetracing SUV's left right and centre). Once he beats the charge (he's a lawyer), he's gonna go after the cop. We'll see how it goes.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Great article...

Afraid of getting your plates read enroute to the track? Tow it to the track! Can't afford it? WTF are you playing this game then? Go earn a better living THEN play the game WHEN you can afford it.
That has to be the most atrociously stupid comment I ever seen on a car forum. what are you a cop? No everyone can afford to get a tow to the track or a garage near the track to store there car yet they still love the hobby and are doing it LEGALLY!! why would you want to punish them?? just because they cant afford to tow it?? just because they want to take there car to Cayuga or Shannoville for a couple of runs doesnt mean they have to go full out.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
Quote:
Great article...

except:

"And they may express more shock and outrage when they nonchalantly coast down an 80 km/h back road on a Sunday drive, inadvertently speed up to 100 km/h as they coast down a hill and get dinged for 50 km/h over as they enter a 50 km/h zone where the OPP are hiding. They'll then get a life-altering financial burden under legislation designed to combat street racers and make roads safer."

Sorry.... if the road says 80 and you go 100... that's called NOT PAYING ATTENTION. If you pass a sign that says 50km/hr at 100km/hr... well, duh.

Every week I drive out from my residence in North York to my house in Lakefield. There are PLENTY of zones that go from 80km/hr right down to 50km/hr with approx. 500m of lead notice WHICH I OBEY. Damn, my kids go to school in that area, no way in hell I want people blasting through there at 2x the limit - AND DO NOT GET ME WRONG - the drivers out there can DRIVE, not like the retards on the roads here in the GTA. What's the point of licensing drivers if any jackass can get one?

Just do what the ****ing signs say - what's so difficult about this? Afraid of getting your plates read enroute to the track? Tow it to the track! Can't afford it? WTF are you playing this game then? Go earn a better living THEN play the game WHEN you can afford it.

Are people just ****ing stupid these days?

I play within my means. I wasn't always able to play - it took years of hard work before I could.
You are completely missing the point trying to be made with your COCKY "do what the sign says" attitude.. It has nothing to do with that.. It has to do with COPS taking away your charter of rights.. How about on a rainy or snowy day when you ass end slides out in the slightest way on your BMW or how about you are beside a civic and the cop is having a bad day and says.. YOU WERE PERFORMING A STUNT.. or YOU WERE TRYING TO RACE THAT CIVIC.. a cop can make up whatever they want and you won't be able to do a thing about it.. so fast forward 9 months later when you FINALLY have your day in court and EVEN IF you prove yourself innocent.. they have made it clear that the costs of "tow, impound and whatever other fees you had due to the STUPID discretion of the cop (bus pass, taxi, loss of wadges) WILL NOT be refunded" I would like to see how pleased you would be about that.. even tho you were "obeying the signs"..

This law is completely ridiculous and to think that some punk that was too stupid to get a real education has the power to judge and jury me.. Um.. ya NO.. How about we focus on DUI or cell phones or things that THEY SHOULD change laws for... If they want people to stop driving CARELESSLY then F*cking enforce the laws we already have!
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.

it will never change
it will just get worse

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
summit425
Alpine White

Let's leave Ontario!
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
^^^ YAY

Nah - just causing grief on Max... isn't that everyone's job here?

Seriously tho - was in a bit of a rush this morning to get out the door.

Still in a rush but here is some more to clear up stuff:

- If you know you'll get bit at the track, TOW IT. You know they'll be there until the situation changes - don't be a fool. When things lighten up (like ERASE did), you will be able to drive to the track without being harassed. If you can't afford it... well enough said.

- Officer discretion? This is so wrong it's not even worth talking about. I FULLY AGREE this is a very, VERY bad thing, but like ERASE and the car crushing episodes, it won't last forever and there will be lots of lawsuits and cell phone videos to prove how crooked that idea is before it is quashed.

- Follow the signs (I can't even beleive there is anyone arguing with this). The signs indicate the LEGAL SPEED LIMIT. If you're going faster than the sign, don't act all surprised and shit if you get bit. I drive according to weather conditions, and I have yet to see any slip or slide look even REMOTELY like racing. This is all hypothetical BS.

You guys KNOW this shit is going down - just play ball for a little while and let them tally up their stats and find out it was another HUGE waste of tax dollars like ERASE and then they wipe it all out.

Oh yes, other than the tourists - people anywhere WAY out of the GTA appear to be better drivers. What does that mean? It means the majority is driving THROUGH in the right lane. People overtake in the left lane and switch back to the right. There's no cutting off, no riding asses, none of the EVERY DAY BULLSHIT I see here in the GTA. I've made no less than 125 trips to and from Lakefield in the past 2 years and this is first hand. For God's sake, I have a TEN minute drive from Bathurst and Steeles to my office and I can almost guarantee there is ALWAYS someone doing something utterly stupid. I won't even get into Markham where my last house was... good lord! I wouldn't say MASTER drivers, but these are people who for the most part (and clearly seen by stats and just plain doing the drive on a regular basis) take their license to drive VERY seriously. Many people in the outskirts of Lakefield need their licenses to survive, literally.

I drove my CF'ed up Type-R'd Civic Hatch all riced out WITHOUT ANY INCIDENT. Why not? Because I didn't drive like a ****ing jackass! I did get pulled over once to confirm ownership of the car AND THAT IS ALL. No ticket, no beat down, and the cop was honest and said "You look like a kid with your toque pulled down like that... and well the car... LOL".

Don't get me wrong, there are crooked cops out there that will say shit and/or do shit to screw you over if they feel like it... just don't give any reason to let that happen. If something does happen, document the entire incident accurately and take it as far as you can.

Unfortunately we live in one of the poorest run provinces; controlled by people who are not even remotely in touch with the current generation. Look at all the scummy things our government does and NO ONE DOES A THING ABOUT IT EXCEPT WHINE.

Shit is going down AND WE ALL KNOW IT. Until it's over, play by the rules or be prepared for the consequences.

I love y'all! *muah*

EDIT: OH YES - I have done my fair share of stupid things on the road... but that was then, and this is TODAY; Things are very different and I have altered my ways accordingly. When this proves to be truly stupid (i.e. getting bit for 150km/hr over when doing 100 in a 80 zone), then I'll have something to say.

Last edited by 1BADRIDE; 11-19-2007 at 04:27 PM.
1BADRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
I just like to bend over its easier
yeah so its a little more each time, but so what

just bring lube it hurts less as time passes

just play ball for a little while and let them Fk u in the ass.
fixed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: