Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Engine swap, extra fusebox plug? PLEASE HELP!

Anyone know what the middle fusebox plug is used for in 6-cylinder OBD2 cars? It's only got 4-pins under it. Is it for ASC?

I recently swapped an S52 from a '97 M3 with its harness into a '96 328. The harness has this extra connector on it, my car doesn't even have the plug for it (it's just an empty hole). The car won't start and I'm trying to figure out if the missing connector is the cause before swapping the harnesses.

If it helps... The donor M3 was an automatic, with ASC... And my 328 is a manual, without ASC. Would that make a difference? Could the missing ASC module be causing the DME not to fire? (It cranks, but won't start - and I can smell fuel from the exhaust, so there's probably fuel going to the engine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug.JPG (110.0 KB, 83 views)
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan View Post
The donor M3 was an automatic

Why'd you swap the harness? It's the same (well it's also automatic...).
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

i doubt the asc has anything to do with the engine not starting, if the asc isnt plugged in, then you just wont have asc (traction control)

1995 325i- slushbox, cause i like it that way...
Soon2B- ??? - manual/stick cause i like it that way ?
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Did you swap to the M3 ECU?? If you did, its your EWS alignment..what you need to do is put the stock 328 computer in (it will run, just not perfect) and get the EWS aligned for the new ECU.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
jon hit the nail on the head. those DIN slots connect to the EWs control module.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

I am already using the 328 computer with the 328 EWS, 328 key, M3 harness on the M3 engine. The harness came with the engine (and it runs all under the intake manifold and such), so it didn't make sense to swap it.

I'm pretty sure that port isn't EWS, because my car is '96, has EWS, and the connector isn't there. UNLESS they changed the harness and wiring from '96 to '97... (Just for testing, I swapped in another DME that definitely is not aligned to the EWS and I get the exact same symptoms)
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

There is no difference in the harness except that it has a relay connecting a few wires next to the ECU. Do you have this relay?

Did you fully inspect the harness for any cut wires before dropping it in?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

It's the autobox connector
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_blaze View Post
There is no difference in the harness except that it has a relay connecting a few wires next to the ECU. Do you have this relay?

Did you fully inspect the harness for any cut wires before dropping it in?
Yes indeed, there was an extra relay around the DME area. I've tried starting with and without it... No difference. The harness had an O2 sensor connector cut off, but that was repaired.. :S
Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It's the autobox connector
Are you referring to the relay near the DME or the fusebox connector I posted a picture of?

I don't think the fusebox connector is purely for the automatic tranny, because I've seen a bunch of manual 328is and M3s that have all 3 connectors...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: