Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Amp and Subs Question?

Ok guys, a friend of mine has a JL 1000/1 and already has a ID MAX 12" sub. I think it pounds like hell. He wants to go with another one cause he thinks it will play louder. I think it would not make a difference if he added another sub because instead of one sub getting 1000 watts, it would be split 500 watts a sub then. I dont know if that makes sense or not? Please help.
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

anybody??
Old 11-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

ok well ill take a stab at it. and yes your question makes sense.

subs have a recommended power rating, that they'll sound their optimum at. i dont know what it is for the ID MAX. you have a point, that the power will be split 50/50, the issue is, will you still be powering both subs optimally.

doubling the subs = doubling piston area = louder. but only if the amp can drive them.

find out what the recommended power is for the ID MAX, if its 5-700, then go get another one and pound away. but if its 1000+, then you'll be underpowering them and while they may be louder, they wont sound as clean/crisp.

hope that helped!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

he hit the nail on the head.....the surface area of the sub is a key part of what makes it louder which is why 12's are usually louder than 10 ect... the JL 1000/1 is one of the best amps going and can be tweaked in just about every way so make sure your buddy knows what he's doing when setting up the amp to 2 subs vs only one sub. Also ported box's are generall louder than sealed but i would never recomend a ported box, they sound sloppy and don't have as much range
328IScreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryriderX View Post
ok well ill take a stab at it. and yes your question makes sense.

subs have a recommended power rating, that they'll sound their optimum at. i dont know what it is for the ID MAX. you have a point, that the power will be split 50/50, the issue is, will you still be powering both subs optimally.

doubling the subs = doubling piston area = louder. but only if the amp can drive them.

find out what the recommended power is for the ID MAX, if its 5-700, then go get another one and pound away. but if its 1000+, then you'll be underpowering them and while they may be louder, they wont sound as clean/crisp.

hope that helped!
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...idmax&type=sub

It makes sense, the recommended power range should be about 600 rms according to the website.

thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IScreamer View Post
he hit the nail on the head.....the surface area of the sub is a key part of what makes it louder which is why 12's are usually louder than 10 ect... the JL 1000/1 is one of the best amps going and can be tweaked in just about every way so make sure your buddy knows what he's doing when setting up the amp to 2 subs vs only one sub. Also ported box's are generall louder than sealed but i would never recomend a ported box, they sound sloppy and don't have as much range
What would you recommend for a hook up, If both subs were dual 2 ohms, what do u think would be the optimal connection to the amp. The amp i believe is stable anywhere from 1.5 to 4 ohms.

thanks for ur help in advance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: