Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Overheating

After like 15-45 min of driving the temp arrow starts getting close to red, when the heat is on. BUT when the heat is off the temp drops back to normal but windshield fogs up like crazy, and when heat is off everything turned down to cold i can still feel hot air coming out. what could be the cause of this. I know the fogging issue is probably the heat core, but would faulty heat core also couse the car to over heat when the heat is on.
Trekz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
freniv
2nd Gear Member

do you lose coolant at all?
do you have a good mix coolant/antifreeze?

the only thing I can think of is that you turn on the heat which allows the heater valves to open up and circulate coolant through the heater core.. faulty heater core allows coolant to escape out. When you turn it to cold it'll close the heater valve allowing whatever coolant to circulate through the engine and cool off the engine.
freniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Trekz
4th Gear Member

yah i also noticed coolant(something green i assume it coolant) leaking from somewhere, i saw it dripping off the tranny mount (the bar that bolts on the the body around the shifter area) the level was still fine not enough leaked out to overheat, i think i fixed overheating (just bleeded the system lol) but where could it be leaking from around that mid area, none of the coolant hoses that i can think of go back that far.
Trekz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
freniv
2nd Gear Member

If it's green good chance it's coolant.. if it's slippery and smells sweet it's coolant. Water travels so it could be coming from anywhere. Gotta get a light in there and look/feel around.
freniv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: