Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
if there was more to a car than metal it should have never been pushed hard on a track.

Sorry to see the carnage, glad you're ok, did you lift midcorner?
I vote it is a good point to regroup (i.e $$$), part out, and start something more involving (full race build with cage, super weight stripping, etc.. you get the idea)
Dare i suggest e36 chassis this time around? Bruno told me his race car used to weigh 2400lb with him in it.
Oh, come on, Alex! Why wouldn't you push it??? I never understood people, who buy Ferraris, Porsches...etc., just to DRIVE around the track. What the hell is the point? If you are afraid of the high repair bills, than buy something cheap and take it to the limit. I push the car because I love it, if I didn't love it, I'd have no interest in pushing it.
And no, I didn't lift, just went in too fast, felt something wasn't right, but instead of straightening the steering wheel decided to stay on it... paid for it as you can see. Live and learn. How are you going to know where the limit is, if you are not over it once in a while? Someone told me, after it happened that it should be an "expensive lesson, not an expensive expense" and I agree 100%.

As some have said, pretty much anything can be fixed and I want to fix that car. I did look at a few ads just in case, but if I was going to buy something else, it would ONLY be an E30 M3 and that is a lot of money.
So, I am going to stick with my car, strip it, gut it, paint it, refresh the drivetrain, full cage, maybe a wheel/tire/brake upgrade. I already have a great suspension... like I said before, make her better than new... and push, push, push

E36? Never! E30 Rules!!!

BTW, I weighted my car at Mid-Ohio a few weeks ago and it was 2632lb with a full tank, without the driver. My goal is to have it at 2500 with me in it, I think it's doable... but I may have to go on a diet
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #32
BigD
the misanthropist

Well said man.

Where do you get your car weighed? Truck stops (wouldn't they get pissed?)? I'm curious what my E30 will weigh after the swap, with me in it. Btw did you hear, I finally got my engine to fire:

BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #33
static
6th Gear Member

absolutely agree with you Gleb, furthermore, i think the only way to extract as much fun as you can from ANY car is to drive it like you stole it! But IMO in order to do this, one should have absolutely no sentimental strings attached to the car. Thus my comment. That's not to say one shouldn't appreciate/love the way a car drives.

Well, as i said, if financially fixing it makes sense, then go for it. Just make sure it's done properly (NickP might have some pointers for you, he had to straighten the frame on his e30 with laser alignment, etc, etc), otherwise you'll have regrets as it won't drive the same.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #34
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Well said man.

Where do you get your car weighed? Truck stops (wouldn't they get pissed?)? I'm curious what my E30 will weigh after the swap, with me in it. Btw did you hear, I finally got my engine to fire:
I went to a school and a club race in Mid-Ohio a few weeks ago and they had the scales there. BTW, what a great track!
You car sonds great! "It smells..." ha-ha! Women
Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #35
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
absolutely agree with you Gleb, furthermore, i think the only way to extract as much fun as you can from ANY car is to drive it like you stole it! But IMO in order to do this, one should have absolutely no sentimental strings attached to the car. Thus my comment. That's not to say one shouldn't appreciate/love the way a car drives.

Well, as i said, if financially fixing it makes sense, then go for it. Just make sure it's done properly (NickP might have some pointers for you, he had to straighten the frame on his e30 with laser alignment, etc, etc), otherwise you'll have regrets as it won't drive the same.
I think it does make sence, cause if I was to get something else it would be an M3 - mucho $$$.
I have very good people looking after the car, so hopefully all turns out well.
I will know more next week.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #36
static
6th Gear Member

well, whatever the car, i hope to see you @Mosport next June
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #37
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
well, whatever the car, i hope to see you @Mosport next June
Come out in April too
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #38
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Come out in April too
nah, Apr 2006 was.... let's just say money well spent NOT (freezing rain and 6 C)
Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #39
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
nah, Apr 2006 was.... let's just say money well spent NOT (freezing rain and 6 C)
Rain = Best way to learn!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #40
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Rain = Best way to learn!
+1, I learned more in 1 rain session at Mosport than a full season of dry lapping.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #41
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveItSideways View Post
+1, I learned more in 1 rain session at Mosport than a full season of dry lapping.
Same. My first track day was at a totally rained out Tremblant. You slip and slide at much slower speeds and lower loads, everything happens slower. It would be too dangerous to try losing grip that often on a dry track at dry track speeds.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 AM   #42
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
But IMO in order to do this, one should have absolutely no sentimental strings attached to the car. Thus my comment. That's not to say one shouldn't appreciate/love the way a car drives.
So you are saying you have NO strings attached to your car whatsoever?? After all the work to build it up!?? I am attached to my car, contrary to what people hear about me bitching and whining about it, but I love it, dearly attached to it, and I still drive it hard.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #43
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
So you are saying you have NO strings attached to your car whatsoever?? After all the work to build it up!?? I am attached to my car, contrary to what people hear about me bitching and whining about it, but I love it, dearly attached to it, and I still drive it hard.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #44
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Never said i don't! I love the car too much, and that prevents me from beating on it and takes away from fun. That and worrying about every little thing that could go wrong with it at any given time. I know, sad.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #45
Gleb
E30 ..?

^^^ Get another one, for track days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: