Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-13-2003, 04:19 AM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Airbag light on with aftermarket wheel.

Well, I have a Momo wheel, I've dealt with the airbag light always being on, but now I have a lot of time to kill, is there a way to fix it (and maybe even make my passenger airbag work)?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

I've got a exact same problem.
but I heard that you can take out whole gauges and
take out the burb behind. Thats what I heard, dont know if
thats the way to do it..

ps. what kind of steering wheel did you get? I got momo course limited edition.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Momo Commando, although I wouldn't mind getting a suade racing wheel (Like a Sparco 333 or Sparco Racer 2).
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 01-13-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
Johnnybmer
2nd Gear Member

I was lucky!

I was lucky i owned an earlier edition for my E36 so i didn't have a airbag. But thats what i heard aswell, to just take the bulb out. I wonder if you asked the dealer they could over ride the airbag warning light and put it off. I bought the millenuim wheel. Later
Johnnybmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:23 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, I realize I could just pull the bulb out, but isn't there a way to fool the SRS module into thinking the airbag is still there?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:36 PM   #6
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Nope, and you can't take the bulb out.

There are two bulbs for the airbag in the E36 dash board.

One is removable, and one is built in. No way to remove it (at least not easily...).

There is no easy way around this one....if you want the airbag light out, then you have to remove the airbag system entirely.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
There is no easy way around this one....if you want the airbag light out, then you have to remove the airbag system entirely.
So in other words I'll have to live with it, not a big deal, the amber ASC light is worse, and the green foglight indicator just adds to the light show.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:55 PM   #8
openwheel
Gamite's Lil E34 Bitch

Send a message via MSN to openwheel
A dealer, by law, can not de-activate an SRS system. Even if you have them sign a waiver that you will not sue in the event of an accident. Big time lawsuits. I know it sucks, but this one you will have to live with. One thought though is that you can put some tape over the bulbs and have them hidden. I did this in my E30 when the service indicator batteries went dead.
openwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:26 AM   #9
Alezone
Capitalism

You can't take the bulb out since it's built in on the "mother board" of the instrument cluster. Well, I think it's possible to fool it, but u gotta find out which pin(s) is for the airbag... in my case, i just took the board out and taped it. (also did this to my previous car, a 2002 GTI, exactly the same way) Good luck.
http://homepage.mac.com/alezone/.Pic...o_wiring03.jpg
The arrowed one is for HORN, btw. so u might wanna try the other 5 ^^, if the air bags slapped your face, u got it.

PORSCHE 981

Last edited by Alezone; 01-14-2003 at 04:29 AM.
Alezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by openwheel
A dealer, by law, can not de-activate an SRS system. Even if you have them sign a waiver that you will not sue in the event of an accident. Big time lawsuits. I know it sucks, but this one you will have to live with. One thought though is that you can put some tape over the bulbs and have them hidden. I did this in my E30 when the service indicator batteries went dead.
No you don't, just remove the system yourself.

There is nothing illegal about removing the system yourself, you just can't get the BMW dealership to do it for you.

Independent mechanics *may* be able to do this for you as well...

The airbag system is really easy to remove. The control module is under the back seat, and the passenger airbag / frame behind the glovebox.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:32 AM   #11
MPRESION
5th Gear Member

I've also heard of tricking your SRS system by installing a "dummy air bag". I don't know the full details, but its some kind of circuit board which tricks the system to think that the airbag is there. This would also make your other airbags functional. I saw it on some car show on TV a few months back.
MPRESION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #12
e36_freak
Mostly absent

Send a message via ICQ to e36_freak Send a message via MSN to e36_freak
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Well, I realize I could just pull the bulb out, but isn't there a way to fool the SRS module into thinking the airbag is still there?

u should ask charlie (bimmersport)
he should know something
i dunno if u could do this with the airbad not being there
but when i got my airbag changed i had to get the srs system resetted
cost $20 @ chuck's bmw or whatever it's called

[M]i[K]E[•][M]i[K]E[•]
e36_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:29 PM   #13
Harry
4th Gear Member

I think jspm3 on bimmerforums made a circuit a year or so ago that tricks the air bag sensors into believing that the bag is still there, u may wan to investigate with him.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: