Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Shifting w/o clutch

While driving home from work today my foot slipped off the clutch but I carried through with the shift and it popped right into 4th. I've heard of people shifting w/o a clutch before but I figured it was just idiots wrecking their cars. So like the moron I am I decided to experiment a little. By the time I got home I could smoothly shift through all gears including 1st-> 2nd. Is this going to damge my tranny in the long run? I didn't grind any gears, and it seemed to pop in really easly when I got the rev's matched properly. Is this a sign of wear that I'm not aware of?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
While driving home from work today my foot slipped off the clutch but I carried through with the shift and it popped right into 4th. I've heard of people shifting w/o a clutch before but I figured it was just idiots wrecking their cars. So like the moron I am I decided to experiment a little. By the time I got home I could smoothly shift through all gears including 1st-> 2nd. Is this going to damge my tranny in the long run? I didn't grind any gears, and it seemed to pop in really easly when I got the rev's matched properly. Is this a sign of wear that I'm not aware of?

I have been showing people for fun how it can be done, both up shifting and down shifting.

I can do it with any car with a syncromesh gearbox, just have to feel for the engagement. You are not really damaging anything if the gears are not grating or jumping into gears with a jerk, but it's not a good practice.

Back in the Caribbean we had many cars with cable clutch systems, no hydraulics so the cable would snap without warning. The easiest way to get home was to start the car in 1st gear (hard on the starter) and then shift clutchlessly home Good ol days.

It's not a sign of wear but don't do it, it takes lots of practice to get it right. I have shown people how it can be done on my e46 325is, they sometimes can't believe it can be done but I was doing this since i was like 15 over 20 years ago

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Didn't take much practice for me. Didn't grind a single gear in the 15km drive home. Seemed pretty easy when you knew what rpm's the car had to be at for the up/downshift, then just had to feel it till it popped in. Almost shifts itself.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

It's not that hard to do. I think it's hard on the syncros though.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
You are not really damaging anything if the gears are not grating or jumping into gears with a jerk
This topic has been covered to hell and back but the short answer is yes you are. Synchromesh gearboxes are designed to be shifted with the inertia of the engine disconnected, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
It's not that hard to do. I think it's hard on the syncros though.
Yeppers.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

i thought e30 trannys are only syncro'd between 4 and 5
Old 10-25-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
This topic has been covered to hell and back but the short answer is yes you are. Synchromesh gearboxes are designed to be shifted with the inertia of the engine disconnected, period.

Yeppers.
Then how come all truck drivers dont clutch, and the transmission last over a million Km....?
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:

Had a Ford Capri (1974 model) had a bad clutch and did shift without clutch for nearly a month whenever the clutch did not build enough pressure. I fixed the clutch, gave the car to my brother who used it for another 8 years until he crashed it in 1994. I NEVER had to replace the syncros in the gearbox.

I have been rebuilding gearboxes since 1985 and trust me, synchros are not damaged by shifting w/o clutch if properly matched, low and bad oil is the main reason why they do or pulling weight exceeding the max permissible weight of the vehicle.

I had buddy with the same car in 1987, he used to haul a trailer with his daily, had to do his synchros

I am not saying people should drive like that, I wrote it in all my replies, but they can last if done periodically.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE

Last edited by Striker; 10-25-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

The job if the syncro is to match the speed of two gears just before the engage.

If the driver can match the speed of the vehicle and engine RPM, you are doing the job of the syncro. No extra wear or damage.
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Then how come all truck drivers dont clutch, and the transmission last over a million Km....?
Truck drivers not only clutch but double clutch. And they don't have synchros, so the drivers skilled enough to rev match have no fear of wearing them out.

Striker: I agree that in the short term it probably won't make any difference, especially if the person is skilled and dilligent enough to get the revs matched closely. But in the long term, they will still wear because no one's good enough to match them 100% perfectly, which is why non-synchro boxes have wider windows for the dogs right? And I don't know about you but I'd much rather change the clutch than rebuild or buy a transmission. Besides, if you shift properly, the clutch will last longer than you'd probably keep the car.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

^^^Yes they do have syncros, and good drivers dont clutch other then when taking off...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

What's the point? Rev matching under full acceleration is not faster since you need to wait for the revs to drop, and that's the only time you'd benefit from any decrease in shifting time. Freeing up a foot is only worthwhile if you can't heel-toe, and in an e30, heel-toe is simple with practice.

I suppose it might be handy to shift while holding your coffee and steering with your left leg. Which I do.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

so when u get the perfect revs

do you have to come off the gas when u shift without the clutch
or do u just keep the gas when u shift
if u get the correct rpm and u come off the gas, wouldnt it drop a bit thus not getting the right rev match? or do u rev beyond that point so when u shift the rpm drops to that correct point
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
^^^Yes they do have syncros, and good drivers dont clutch other then when taking off...
Prove it. Here's mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_..._transmissions

No they don't, not here. In Europe or wherever they don't have weight limits and uber strict policing, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Heavy duty trucks utilize unsynchronized transmissions in the interest of saving weight. Military edition trucks, which do not have to obey weight laws, usually have a synchronized transmission. Highway use heavy-duty trucks in the United States are limited to 80,000 pounds GVWR, and the lighter the curb weight for the truck, the more cargo can be carried, and with a synchronizer adding weight to a truck that could otherwise be used to carry cargo, most drivers are simply taught how to double clutch.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
Prove it. Here's mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_..._transmissions

No they don't, not here. In Europe or wherever they don't have weight limits and uber strict policing, maybe.
nothing beats real world experience in which it looks like the only person whos had enough of it is striker.

i dont believe everything i read on wikipedia.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: