Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-13-2003, 01:49 AM   #1
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
Anti-SUV ad campaign....

.... or as the call it "are u helping the terrorists"

i was reading about this today on the net and i saw the add tonight on the tv. they have the adds on the website too

http://www.thedetroitproject.com/

btw i agree with one point their making. way to many freaking people driving those things these days, so that "their kids are safe" only in the USA

Quote:
"Talking Head/Parody": 30

"I helped hijack an airplane. I helped blow up a nightclub. So what if it gets 11 miles to the gallon. I gave money to a terrorist training camp in a foreign country. It makes me feel safe. I helped our enemies develop weapons of mass destruction. What if I need to go off-road? Everyone has one. I helped teach kids around the world to hate America. I like to sit up high. I sent our soldiers off to war. Everyone has one. My life, my SUV. I don't even know how many miles it gets to the gallon."

WHAT IS YOUR SUV DOING TO OUR NATIONAL SECURITY?
DETROIT, AMERICA NEEDS HYBRID CARS NOW.

www.thedetroitproject.com

Paid for by The Detroit Project
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
Gamite

I think that's retarded, what about all those muscle cars? u think those dont burn lots of gas?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:10 AM   #3
SickFinga

GAY
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:42 AM   #4
325Ryan
3rd Gear Member

well i dont like suv and i hope they go away
Old 01-13-2003, 04:49 AM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
I like SUV's, well not really, I like watching inexperienced 4wd SUV users use their SUV's in snow for the first time and slide everywhere.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:52 AM   #6
KennyTheGreat
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to KennyTheGreat
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
I like SUV's, well not really, I like watching inexperienced 4wd SUV users use their SUV's in snow for the first time and slide everywhere.
i second that hehehe
KennyTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:25 AM   #7
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

That's awsome! I hope they air these comercials, might reduce SUV sales.

Think about how much better things would be if the SUV didn't exist. Auto makers would spend more time designing higher quality cars (not bigger SUV's), Visibility from cars would be much better in traffic, less people would think they are invincable, fuel would be saved, accidents would be less damaging. road wear would be decreased.

I know some people love them but i don't think a SUV can offer you anything that nice luxury car can't. And in most cases your gonna save money in so many ways by buying a car.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:28 AM   #8
moerom
6th Gear Member

These Detroit Project people are completely and utterly stupid beyond any normal comprehension.

Suppose than SUV ("Car A") gets 10 mpg. Then suppose a smaller car ("Car B") gets 25 mpg.

It doesn't matter how much gas a vehicle eats, Car A and Car B both eat gas. By following the logic of the commercial, Car B is helping the terrorists at a slower rate.

In other words, driving a smaller, more efficient car does not solve the problem because it still needs gas. Hybrid cars need gas as well, even though they get 70-100mpg. Also according to the logic of the Detroit Project, all oil products come from terrorist nations. Jordan and the UAE are not terrorist nations, yet they provide us with oil. South American nations (Venezuela) also provide oil. Even Canada could provide the oil (albeit at a higher cost). Not all oil comes from 'terrorist nations'. These ignorant people should take the time to actually learn about the situation.

This advertising campaign is plain sinful. If those who were responsible for the commercial were really commited to the well being of innocent people, they would take the millions of dollars spent on making and distributing the commercial and give it to Children's Aid or local homeless people.

Last edited by moerom; 01-13-2003 at 05:30 AM.
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:30 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'd only ever buy a big SUV if I had to two around a big trailer, and more then 5 people comfortably including a weeks worth of luggage constantly. If just for a big trailer, I'd get a fullsize pickup (with crew cab for more people), if just for 5 people and luggage, then a wagon or *gasp* a minivan.

The 90% of people who buy large SUV's don't use them to anywhere near their potential. (Like the new Suburbans, 8.1L engine!!!)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-13-2003, 05:39 AM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

That's like basically summing it up to "Everyone who participates in motorsports is supporting terrorism," now that's just dumb.

Using their logic, why don't we just stop using any sort of gas/diesel motors and propulsion engines and just ride bikes and walk everywhere. That'll never happen, ever!
Old 01-13-2003, 05:46 AM   #11
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
you guys just always pick on me =(

ANTI BMW
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:52 AM   #12
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
That's like basically summing it up to "Everyone who participates in motorsports is supporting terrorism," now that's just dumb.

Using their logic, why don't we just stop using any sort of gas/diesel motors and propulsion engines and just ride bikes and walk everywhere. That'll never happen, ever!
I don't think they are saying you should stop using fuel, Just don't wast it. Motorsports don't wast fuel, But one person driving 1 hour to toronto to work everyday in a SUV using 20 litres of fuel because a huge vehicle makes him/her feel safer is a wast if you ask me? you wanna feel safe ..take the GO-train it's much bigger and doesn't run into other trains everyday.

Last edited by Slowered318; 01-13-2003 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 AM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
I don't think they are saying you should stop using fuel, Just don't wast it. Motorsports don't wast fuel they are part of our culture. But one person driving 1 hour to toronto to work everyday in a SUV using 20 litres of fuel because a huge vehicle makes him/her feel safer is a wast if you ask me? you wanna feel safe ..take the GO-train it's much bigger and doesn't run into other trains everyday.
I know, I was being sarcastic and going overboard
Old 01-13-2003, 05:57 AM   #14
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Guys everyone is missing the point. In a few months the USA is gonna go and take IRAQ's oil and its free oil for all!!
Old 01-13-2003, 06:02 AM   #15
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

I might be going overboard too.. sorry betray

but this is one "cause" that I would back up just because from a car's point of view SUV's, pickups (excluding moerom), and vans are always getting in our way! even transports but i drive thoes, they are pretty important to business.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: