Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
europrince
6th Gear Member

Racing law could cause more chases

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...2-4e32e656a25f

David Booth
National Post

Friday, October 19, 2007

Politicians can be so stupid. Imagine, for a moment, that you've been transported back in time to the Middle Ages. Times are tough, what with serfdom, various famines and the whole feudal system thing. Food is scarce and tough times beget (that's me being learned, by the way) tough measures. There's a rash of bread thievery happening and the local sheriff-cum-tyrant is determined to be tough on crime.

But, like politicians throughout the ages, actually looking like he's doing something is far more important than actually doing something. So, to assuage the various lords, counts and minor potentates that are getting their sourdough in a bunch, he passes a law that bread pilfering will be henceforth punished by death. Drastic measures to be sure, but, hey, little Lord Fontleroy didn't get his breakfast croissant the Friday before last.

Unfortunately for you, in travelling through the time portal, you get morphed into one medieval-type badass teenager from the wrong side of the moat. Dad's off to the crusades, mom's on the cider and you're the only breadwinner. No money in pocket and with 13 younger mouths to feed (remember there was no television or Playstation back then), you break into Ye Olde Bakery to scrounge the morning's toast. Unfortunately, Bobby the policeman happens upon your misappropriating ways. The jig's up, you're going down, it's the gallows in the town square for you.

Or maybe not. And all of you, dear readers, being very modern types, are surely seeing the flaw in the argument. With the penalty for killing the policeman and escaping no worse than taking the bread, there's very little reason for our mythical Robin Hood to stick around. He's no worse off if he, um, offs the copper and he just might, considering the lack of CSI in those days, get off scott-free.

Now, fast-forward half a millennium or so. You're an equally testosterone-fuelled teenager but you're all hip and stuff, what with your iPod Nano and a hot-rodded Corvette (with optional K & N Filtercharger kit and mondo rims, I might add). You're cruising, illegally you know, at a buck-sixty when all of a sudden (as these occasions are wont to be) you spot the flashing reds in your rear-view. At the same moment, you pass one of the 401's new signs. You know the ones: They say for 50 kilometres an hour over the speed limit, you are subject to a maximum $10,000 fine, immediate licence suspension and the impounding of your vehicle.

So, let's see. If you stop, you'll get fined big bucks, lose your car and get your licence suspended. And if you run, you'll get a ... big fine, lose your car and get your licence suspended. Of course, the second choice also contains the possibility that you might just get off scott-free. Which do you think the average teenager is going to choose?

I'm 49 years old now, have RRSPs, a mortgage and a kid I have to put through university. I would, of course, stop, face the consequences and impress upon my 23-year-old that the law must always be obeyed. But, when I was 19, you can bet your ass that I would have scampered faster than you can say a Ninja ZX-12R has 172 horsepower and good luck catching me, you Dodge-driving, doughnut-eating flatfoot. And don't be talking to me about helicopters. Damned few can keep up with a Dodge Viper at full chat.

So, here's my fearful prediction. After the initial crackdown passes, our constabulary will start enforcing this new "racing" law selectively. Soccer moms and dads in Dodge Caravans will be let off since they obviously "didn't mean" to race. Young turks in slammed Civics and riding superbikes, however, will have to be "taught a lesson." The news of this discrimination will spread like wildfire. Feeling (wrongly) that they have nothing to lose, more of them will scamper at the sight of the gendarmes. There will more car chases than ever. And there will be no reduction in the number of fatalities caused by street racing.

So that we are absolutely clear on this, let me categorically state that any speed competition on public roads is wrong. Street racing is illegal, immoral and, as two more innocent bystanders found out recently, it can be deadly. Anyone involved in such activities should be charged as such and feel the full weight of the law.

But racing, by definition, requires that two or more vehicles be competing. Trying to stretch that definition to anyone driving alone on a highway at 50 km/h over the speed limit is simply foolish. Worse yet, I fear it will turn out to be bad governance.

dbooth@nationalpost.com

National Post 2007
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
europrince
6th Gear Member

OPP charges 179 drivers with street racing

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...4-1892d7473243

David Booth, National Post
Published: Friday, October 19, 2007
According to the Ontario Provincial Police, 179 drivers were charged two weekends ago under the new street racing law that sees a seven-day suspension of one's licence, the impounding of one's vehicle for seven days and a minimum fine of $2,000 for travelling more than 50 kilometres an hour over the speed limit. Extrapolated over six months, that means almost 5,000 motorists will have been involved in "racing activities," all to catch a very small minority of drivers that are actually racing. Methinks the new law is very much like arming a mouse trap with an 88-millimetre howitzer.

National Post 2007
Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
kevin325
AMG ETR

this shit is ridiculous....

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
The biggest problem is this.

At 150+, its now ABSOLUTELY worth it to run. Go ahead, encourage kids who think they're invincible to push that turbo civic to 240.

smart move, ontario government.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Wow.

You will not believe what I just heard from an OPP officer last night. He was bragging how much MONEY they are making with this new law. He also said the tow-trucking business is way up. VEEEERY NAICE! That was the whole point wasn't it guys?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Obviously the whole point is money, but at least the assholes are admitting it!

I miss the days of driving 160km/h on the open stretches of highway late at night. I stick to regular roads now, cause the highway's no fun at 120!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
diezel06turk
4th Gear Member

this is ridicilous, i dont even want to buy a bike anymore
diezel06turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Totally ridiculous... I heard cops can't chase past 160 km/h... Doesn't matter cause they'll probably just radio ahead. Plus, I doubt they'd give you up even if they're not allowed to exceed 160 km/h.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
Totally ridiculous... I heard cops can't chase past 160 km/h... Doesn't matter cause they'll probably just radio ahead. Plus, I doubt they'd give you up even if they're not allowed to exceed 160 km/h.
I think you're right.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Since the new law came in, I have honestly not gone 50 over, but seriously now, are your chances of getting away that good? Are they more or less than 50%? Can we discuss what sort of equipment they have in order to pursue the fugitive for a successful "score"?

Also, what are the exact penalties for going 50 over, then engaging the chase, and then getting caugh AFTER the chase?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 10-19-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
Trust me, they will still chase above 160km.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
kevin325
AMG ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
Trust me, they will still chase above 160km.
Kev,

what happened bro??

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

I'm glad that the obvious faults of this new law are being brought into the public eye.

Most of the definitions of a "driving stunt" in this new law are purely subjective, it bothers me that a cop can do so much damage to you just on his judgment call alone. "Do you know why I pulled you over? You were (driving in a way that prevents others from passing)." So minimum $2000 fine, storage fees of about $50 per day and $200 for the tow plus you loose your license and car for seven days. All this from the judgment of one cop, all you need is one asshole cop in a bad mood that thinks your car "looks fast".

I say get rid of all the subjective BS in the new law and keep it at 50km/h on the street and 70 km/h on the highway. If your going 50 over on the streets your an idiot and probably deserve the penalties, but 50 over on the highway isn't enough, if your in the left lane going 125-130 and a car is ridding your ass to get out of the way and there are cars in the middle lane you have to go over 140 to get out of their way. Not enough buffer there for average highway situation. It's only safe to go with the flow of traffic, so most people on the highway are going 125-130 now days and you need to go at least 10 km/h more to pass someone within a reasonable time and with a reasonable distance.

If you go 115 in the middle lane I believe your chances of an accident are higher because people are passing you left right and centre and when they pass they barely clear you as they come back in, going 120 in the left lane leaves you in the situation I listed above and going 110 in the right lane your just getting in the way of people trying to merge on the highway.

Anyway the general public will become annoyed and make a stink eventually, throw in a few deaths from teenagers running and cops chasing and this law won't remain as it is now.
Aveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
Souvrain
Jammin

Send a message via MSN to Souvrain
i got chase a few time one time i got caught ! im in quebec do so its the SQ (surete du quebec) its are opp .. anyway .. the guy told me why your runing bla bla bla .. he say (this made me lol) you dont look like a jerk ! so im gona let you go this time so i got away whit 600$ ticket and 9 point less on my driver liscense! lol because i was in a tox and my car look clean ...bullshit! anyway ... as for the Ontario the new law is shit them police cruiser are as shitty as the law .. so get a turbo m3 or go to jail ! peace ps: oh yeah or just get a police scanner and radar jammer and a 100liter fuel cell

AVEMAN your f*** right ! right on

Last edited by Souvrain; 10-19-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Souvrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I would consider running at even 130 or 140 because what is to stop the cop from saying you were doing 150? Absolutely nothing. All they know is young asian + BMW = 50km/h over guilty until proven innocent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: