Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 457
3.2 US spec vs 3.2 EURO spec motor

whats your opinion about which is better etc........
my opinion
eurospec 3.2 is a waste of money
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
uber e36
6th Gear Member
 
uber e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,051
I'm looking at an engine swap in the next year or two and am grappling between a US M3 motor and the Euro 3.2

I've come to the conclusion that the only reason to go the Euro route is if you want to keep your car forever as a personal collectors car.

The Euro engine is the true heart of these cars and thus the engine that should be in your bay.

If this is a car you're going to keep for the next few years before you buys something newer and better, go the North American route...

These are just might thoughts. And I am personally exploring the Euro route...
__________________
Daily: '06 S4
Wife: '05 X5 4.4i
Fun: '95 325is
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Sa///M3
4th Gear Member
 
Sa///M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North York, Ontario
Posts: 768
are you talking s50b32? If so.. How does double vanos + 80 hp more and a higher red line not sound better??
correct me if i am wrong.
__________________
"Circumstances may cause interruptions and delays, but never lose sight of your goal"
-Mario Andretti
Sa///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa///M3 View Post
are you talking s50b32? If so.. How does double vanos + 80 hp more and a higher red line not sound better??
correct me if i am wrong.
Because if you only want speed/power, it can be done cheaper via supercharger.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Sa///M3
4th Gear Member
 
Sa///M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North York, Ontario
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
Because if you only want speed/power, it can be done cheaper via supercharger.
Yes of course, but he was asking "Which is better?"... So I thought prices aside just the engines...
__________________
"Circumstances may cause interruptions and delays, but never lose sight of your goal"
-Mario Andretti
Sa///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa///M3 View Post
are you talking s50b32? If so.. How does double vanos + 80 hp more and a higher red line not sound better??
correct me if i am wrong.
sound? i cant tell you...never heard a euro 3.2 in real life...

but i can say this...
the power specs on the 3.2 US vs 3.2 EURO is a HUGE difference... price of the motors..again HUGE DIFFERENCE, quick comparison such as 0-100k...NOT WORTH THE $$$
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdbmwm3 View Post
sound? i cant tell you...never heard a euro 3.2 in real life...

but i can say this...
the power specs on the 3.2 US vs 3.2 EURO is a HUGE difference... price of the motors..again HUGE DIFFERENCE, quick comparison such as 0-100k...NOT WORTH THE $$$
The euro m3 motor is an amazing motor, and its a real //M motor unlike the US version.

Weather you think going FI on a US motor is a better bank for buck, doesn't take away from the fact that the Euro Motor is the better motor.
__________________

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 10-14-2007 at 09:19 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
dropped_E30
6th Gear Member
 
dropped_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: sauga
Posts: 1,341
Keep in mind, if this is a DD car...euro parts are expensive, and take longer than US motor parts.

A good person to ask, is Greekthang...he had the euro 3.2, and swapped to an OBD1 3.2 US spec and now slapped a C38 AA S/C on it. He has had expeirence on all 3.

Personally I would rather do sunbelt cams, manifold, HFM and injectors on a 3.2...similar power, but maintainance is easier.
__________________
PAST: 89 e30 325is
PRESENT: 05 civic LX coupe
FUTURE: anything with more than 115 HP
dropped_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
The euro m3 motor is an amazing motor, and its a real //M motor unlike the US version.

Weather you think going FI on a US motor is a better bank for buck, doesn't take away from the fact that the Euro Motor is the better motor.
what do you mean by "better motor" you have to be more specific,
you mean it is a lot better quality so it will last longer without issues or do you mean its a lot better built motor so its a lot faster
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdbmwm3 View Post
what do you mean by "better motor" you have to be more specific,
you mean it is a lot better quality so it will last longer without issues or do you mean its a lot better built motor so its a lot faster
It's a superior motor technologically and mechanically.

That doesn't mean, its cheap or better than a F.I US motor.


Stock for Stock it is alot faster......the fact that you can buy a cheaper motor in NA for less and TC or SC it, means nothing, if these came stock overhere they'd be cheaper and parts would be cheaper and more readily available.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
It's a superior motor technologically and mechanically.

That doesn't mean, its cheap or better than a F.I US motor.


Stock for Stock it is alot faster......the fact that you can buy a cheaper motor in NA for less and TC or SC it, means nothing, if these came stock overhere they'd be cheaper and parts would be cheaper and more readily available.
a lot faster you say......
3.2 US 0-60mph - 5.5sec
3.2 EURO 0-60mph - 5.4sec
..it must only FEEL faster...
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
craz azn
6th Gear Member
 
craz azn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 7,498
Send a message via MSN to craz azn
^^ Thats because of the gearing. US M3s are geared much shorter to make the acceleration on par with the Euro-Spec M3. In terms of speed, the Euro-Spec will destroy it on the highway. Only after 150~ it will become apparent which car is faster.

Edit: Add to the fact that the Euro-Spec motor has its power curve shifted more towards higher end power on the top of the Rpm range. The US engine in comparison is torquey off the line but dies out in the higher Rpms.
__________________

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
^^ Thats because of the gearing. US M3s are geared much shorter to make the acceleration on par with the Euro-Spec M3. In terms of speed, the Euro-Spec will destroy it on the highway. Only after 150~ it will become apparent which car is faster.

Edit: Add to the fact that the Euro-Spec motor has its power curve shifted more towards higher end power on the top of the Rpm range. The US engine in comparison is torquey off the line but dies out in the higher Rpms.
Also, the eurospec motors have 1000rpm more to play with.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 AM   #14
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdbmwm3 View Post
a lot faster you say......
3.2 US 0-60mph - 5.5sec
3.2 EURO 0-60mph - 5.4sec
..it must only FEEL faster...
Not exactly true.

those 5.5sec are for 0-60mph. Euro-spec is 0-62mph(0-100km/h)
Euro spec is a better engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
^^ Thats because of the gearing. US M3s are geared much shorter to make the acceleration on par with the Euro-Spec M3. In terms of speed, the Euro-Spec will destroy it on the highway. Only after 150~ it will become apparent which car is faster.

Edit: Add to the fact that the Euro-Spec motor has its power curve shifted more towards higher end power on the top of the Rpm range. The US engine in comparison is torquey off the line but dies out in the higher Rpms.
Euro-spec and US-Spec m3 have the same gearing, except evo m3 has an additional overdrive 6 speed.



Anyway, Euro engine is definitely better, but for power addons, NA or FI, US spec is better. US-spec is a more reliable engine as well.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
propr'one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,699
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
all bmw motors are a waste of money.

the s50b32 is a WAY better motor than a s52b32, for reasons including:
-Its an actual M motor (the s52 isn't)
-It has individual throttle bodies (s52 doesn't)
-It has dual vanos (s52 is single vanos)
-Higher redline
-More power and wider powerband
-many more reasons.

AFAIK, it costs about 2.5K more than a s52. Is it worth it? **** no, but a s52 isn't worth 3K either.
__________________
d1s bulb canada

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.