Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
BigD
the misanthropist

Isolated experiences are meaningless. BMWs are rare in Calgary and it's likely that many of them remain in service when they should be scrapped far longer than they should, or salvage cars are brought in for profit. The Dodge Neon was rated as the most unreliable car in its day. My family had two in the late 90's for 6 years. Never had a SINGLE problem with either one of them.

I'm sorry you got a lemon and I'm happy that you got rid of the car and are happy now with your Toyota (I've got one myself and I love it to death - the feeling that it will never let me down is not a small part of that) but take it easy with labelling an entire brand.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #32
Helka
BMW4LIFE

That sucks dude but you definately got a lemon. I bought my 94 318i from my brother's friend 2 years ago. Whats cost me the most for maintenance is damn Oil changes...lol. One bad thing that happened to my car is when i did the fan delete mod and had the car idling to long and the rad blew. My fault 100%. But the next day i was able to get a used rad for $100 and i replaced it for free myself. and tires cost alot. What alot of people are afraid of is doing the work themselves. I do everything myself unless i don't have the proper tools. Honestly the only thing that has failed on me was the rad in the two years i've owned it. It's never been winter driven so i guess that helps with the maintenance.

It sucks that you got a real lemon.

CURRENT RIDE
07 BMW 328i

PREVIOUS RIDES
1994 BMW 318i
1993 SATURN SC1
1989 TOYOTA MR2 SUPERCHARGED
1975 BMW 2002
Helka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #33
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

somewhat agree

i somewhat agree with you, when i had my e30, i had a lot more love for the car and sport of all the shit that broke on that car it never left me stranded!! my rear subframe cracked on me, drove it like that for 2 weeks until i was finally free, took me a day to do, but i did it, front crossmember went to shits, drove around with the motor sitting on my tie rods for about a week, until i had time to change it, after all the times i spent fixing that car, i loved it, i trusted it, and i had the time of my life driving it!!!

then i got my e36, ive never drifted it, done a burn out, nothing! the e36's are a completely different car! somewhere inbetween e30 and e36, a lot of the fun and quality was lost!!!

i dont care what anyone says, i had my spings chopped almost in half on the e30, and i loved it, i drove the hell out of that car, and it never gave up on me!!!
Forever an e30 lover!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #34
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

there ya go

maybe more your speed

http://www.kia-forums.com/

gl
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #35
3erPolak
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 3erPolak
Iv owned three e36's now and I somewhat agree with you, that many things often go wrong and it can be frustrating. If properly maintained however, even when these things go wrong its still worth driving these cars. All of us who own BMW's don't buy them for their reliability, we buy them because their amazing to drive. If we wanted a car that was super reliable we would be driving honda's, toyota's, or some other boring cars. We KNOW BMW's suck for reliabily sometimes, but if you fix some things on your own, and can get things done for reasonable prices and your smart about it its not that bad. So all in all. I disagree.

P.S enjoy your camry
3erPolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #36
papo
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, but my first BMW was a e28 & I LOVED it. I just sold it for more than I originally bought it for & did not have to put in more money than I got out of it
I now have an e32 & I really don't think there is another car out there that I will be buying in the future...BUT....BMW

To bad you had a bad experience
papo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #37
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
sorry dude. WHAT model was it? I heard late model 328is were super reliable.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #38
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
E36's are junk.
Simply put.
Refer to thread here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=808186

I love BMW's though, don't get me wrong, they are a blast to drive, but price wise and reliability they are SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only buy a Bimmer if its under warranty, and than dump it IMMEDIATELY, when its out of warranty.

As a warning to all those who are thinking of buying one.. Don't buy one unless you can afford the cost of maintenance.
I said it once, I will say it again, maintainence on that car is a bitch..
Ihate it how I never enjoy driving it because I'm afraid of check engine lights, airbag warning lights, keyless entry failure, ABS circuit failure, dead LED bulbs, seatbelt malfunctions, starter motor failure, water pump failure, fan blade dislocation , radiator leakage and failure, fan blade stripping, waterpump assembly failure, loose transmission mounts, alternator failure, battery replacement, ecu errors, control arm bushings loosening, random alarm system malfunctions and errors, tail light failure, fading/blinking HID's, wind noise, damaged clutch cables, fan blade hitting the shroud surrounding it, fan belt tensioner malfunction and sensor failure... etc etc.
all that has happened since August when I bought it. I've spent a ridiculous amount of money fixing it, $4600 dollars since August, and I've had a BMW shop in Calgary fix it. I know the guy and he only charges $60 dollar an hour labor on this stuff for me. If I took it to the stealership, I'm sure i'd be over 7 grand by now.
Simply put, E36 BMW's are POS.
I don't care if you're going to flame me, I went back to Japanese cars, where the cars display doesn't light up like a Christmas tree everytime you start the car. Oh, and they are 1 million times more reliable. I think my new 2000 Lexus GS400 is a five hundred better times car... its been 4 days with it, and GUESS WHAT... NO WARNING OR CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS OR FAILURES... NOTHING>!!!!!

To conclude, I will say one thing. This Bimmerforums board is the most respectful, non-arrogant, and most helpful forum I have ever seen. Most BMW drivers are douches who think their car owns the road, but I haven't seen or heard this attitude here for the most part. Thanks all you guys who helped me out with my many many problems with my E36. I hope you guys all have a good one.. driving your beautiful driving and handling car.. when its not in the shop.

PS: I do have a 2004 X5 and its been relatively problem free, more maintainence obviously than a Japanese, but about only three times the amount. Thing is, I only drive it in winter.... 8000 km a year max... good bye BMW!

Bro, everyone knows that Break My Wallets are a rich man's game. You either do what most of us do, buy and old one and maintain it, or buy or lease a new one, which is even more expensive. This is public knowledge and should have been no surprise to you. I don't know what was on your mind when you bought the car, but if you were looking for reliability, you should have bought a Corolla or Civic. If you bought it to be a baller and impress the people around you, which you certainly did following up with a Lexus, you learned that its takes money to be a baller. If you can't afford to be a baller, stop playing the game. How did you pay for the 8 year old Lexus? A 5 year car loan? Plus, why the hell are you complaining about the reliability of a 10 year old car? E36s ARE 10 TO 16 YEARS OLD!!!! Either way, I hope you matured and aren't as naive as you once were. Regardless, don't blame your naivety on the car or the brand, as you certainly don't understand or appreciate either. You deserve your Lexus, as you certainly don't deserve a BMW. FYI, every auto journalist out there says that the Lexus GS don't come close to my 5 series. If you beg to differ, perhaps I can let you smoke the fumes from my 540's tail pipe.

Last edited by europrince; 10-25-2007 at 12:20 PM.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #39
europrince
6th Gear Member

Oh, one more thing.... get the f**k off this board. You don't deserve to be here. Join some "I drive a bland, champagne colour Lexus" board.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #40
europrince
6th Gear Member

Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #41
3erPolak
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
Join some "I drive a bland, champagne colour Lexus" board.

awesome.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #42
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
E36's are junk.
Simply put.
Refer to thread here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=808186

I love BMW's though, don't get me wrong, they are a blast to drive, but price wise and reliability they are SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only buy a Bimmer if its under warranty, and than dump it IMMEDIATELY, when its out of warranty.

As a warning to all those who are thinking of buying one.. Don't buy one unless you can afford the cost of maintenance.
I said it once, I will say it again, maintainence on that car is a bitch..
Ihate it how I never enjoy driving it because I'm afraid of check engine lights, airbag warning lights, keyless entry failure, ABS circuit failure, dead LED bulbs, seatbelt malfunctions, starter motor failure, water pump failure, fan blade dislocation , radiator leakage and failure, fan blade stripping, waterpump assembly failure, loose transmission mounts, alternator failure, battery replacement, ecu errors, control arm bushings loosening, random alarm system malfunctions and errors, tail light failure, fading/blinking HID's, wind noise, damaged clutch cables, fan blade hitting the shroud surrounding it, fan belt tensioner malfunction and sensor failure... etc etc.
all that has happened since August when I bought it. I've spent a ridiculous amount of money fixing it, $4600 dollars since August, and I've had a BMW shop in Calgary fix it. I know the guy and he only charges $60 dollar an hour labor on this stuff for me. If I took it to the stealership, I'm sure i'd be over 7 grand by now.
Simply put, E36 BMW's are POS.
I don't care if you're going to flame me, I went back to Japanese cars, where the cars display doesn't light up like a Christmas tree everytime you start the car. Oh, and they are 1 million times more reliable. I think my new 2000 Lexus GS400 is a five hundred better times car... its been 4 days with it, and GUESS WHAT... NO WARNING OR CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS OR FAILURES... NOTHING>!!!!!

To conclude, I will say one thing. This Bimmerforums board is the most respectful, non-arrogant, and most helpful forum I have ever seen. Most BMW drivers are douches who think their car owns the road, but I haven't seen or heard this attitude here for the most part. Thanks all you guys who helped me out with my many many problems with my E36. I hope you guys all have a good one.. driving your beautiful driving and handling car.. when its not in the shop.

PS: I do have a 2004 X5 and its been relatively problem free, more maintainence obviously than a Japanese, but about only three times the amount. Thing is, I only drive it in winter.... 8000 km a year max... good bye BMW!
just cuz you bought a lemon does not make all bmw's bad. do everyone a favor and just stick to the jap ricer community.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #43
3erPolak
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee View Post
do everyone a favor and just stick to the jap ricer community.
haha. awesome also.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: