Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Goodbye E36 and for the most part, BMW! Thank God!!!

E36's are junk.
Simply put.
Refer to thread here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=808186

I love BMW's though, don't get me wrong, they are a blast to drive, but price wise and reliability they are SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only buy a Bimmer if its under warranty, and than dump it IMMEDIATELY, when its out of warranty.

As a warning to all those who are thinking of buying one.. Don't buy one unless you can afford the cost of maintenance.
I said it once, I will say it again, maintainence on that car is a bitch..
Ihate it how I never enjoy driving it because I'm afraid of check engine lights, airbag warning lights, keyless entry failure, ABS circuit failure, dead LED bulbs, seatbelt malfunctions, starter motor failure, water pump failure, fan blade dislocation , radiator leakage and failure, fan blade stripping, waterpump assembly failure, loose transmission mounts, alternator failure, battery replacement, ecu errors, control arm bushings loosening, random alarm system malfunctions and errors, tail light failure, fading/blinking HID's, wind noise, damaged clutch cables, fan blade hitting the shroud surrounding it, fan belt tensioner malfunction and sensor failure... etc etc.
all that has happened since August when I bought it. I've spent a ridiculous amount of money fixing it, $4600 dollars since August, and I've had a BMW shop in Calgary fix it. I know the guy and he only charges $60 dollar an hour labor on this stuff for me. If I took it to the stealership, I'm sure i'd be over 7 grand by now.
Simply put, E36 BMW's are POS.
I don't care if you're going to flame me, I went back to Japanese cars, where the cars display doesn't light up like a Christmas tree everytime you start the car. Oh, and they are 1 million times more reliable. I think my new 2000 Lexus GS400 is a five hundred better times car... its been 4 days with it, and GUESS WHAT... NO WARNING OR CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS OR FAILURES... NOTHING>!!!!!

To conclude, I will say one thing. This Bimmerforums board is the most respectful, non-arrogant, and most helpful forum I have ever seen. Most BMW drivers are douches who think their car owns the road, but I haven't seen or heard this attitude here for the most part. Thanks all you guys who helped me out with my many many problems with my E36. I hope you guys all have a good one.. driving your beautiful driving and handling car.. when its not in the shop.


PS: I do have a 2004 X5 and its been relatively problem free, more maintainence obviously than a Japanese, but about only three times the amount. Thing is, I only drive it in winter.... 8000 km a year max... good bye BMW!
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
DriveItSideways
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: .
Posts: 3,712
Its a love/hate thing. I got out of bimmers last year for the same reason as you.. but i still love them.

The only way i would get myself into another bm is if it was an M, any M will do.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
vadim321go
6th Gear Member
 
vadim321go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond Hill
Posts: 1,581
i think the biggest thing about our cars is maintenance. as long as you take care of it, it will take care of u.

i havent had too many problems with my car that any other car wouldnt have. regular wear and tear items need to be replaced like bushings, fluids, obviously tires and other stuff.

but i know what you mean, my fuel pump decided to crap out 2 days ago, 260$ later im back on the road. my tensioner decided to make a lot of noises that was around 100$ to fix, my muffler brackets rusted out but that could happen to any car...
__________________
Proud owner of a 95 325i
vadim321go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
DriveItSideways
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: .
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim321go View Post
i think the biggest thing about our cars is maintenance. as long as you take care of it, it will take care of u.

i havent had too many problems with my car that any other car wouldnt have. regular wear and tear items need to be replaced like bushings, fluids, obviously tires and other stuff.

but i know what you mean, my fuel pump decided to crap out 2 days ago, 260$ later im back on the road. my tensioner decided to make a lot of noises that was around 100$ to fix, my muffler brackets rusted out but that could happen to any car...
Those prices sound like its an e30 you have?
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Soldo
6th Gear Member
 
Soldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,484
All of the E36's i have owned have been more or less problem free. The only time my car started acting up was when i neglected the maintenance.


You must have just had a monday car. Also, i don't get why you say BMW's are the worst, yet you still own the X5!
__________________
Keven Soldo
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Furious
BMW again.
 
Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,088
yeah same with me, ive rarely had a problem i didnt create myself with my e36. its possible you got a lemon of a car.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
All of the E36's i have owned have been more or less problem free. The only time my car started acting up was when i neglected the maintenance.


You must have just had a monday car. Also, i don't get why you say BMW's are the worst, yet you still own the X5!
I'm not an anti-BMW owner. This E36 turned me off so much from buying any BMW that I am going to Lexus.
I still have the X5, I bought it in Toronto, its a good truck. http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=193797
But it has the maintainence costs three times that of any Japenese truck.. I just love X5's.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
uber e36
6th Gear Member
 
uber e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,051
I'm not sure about your experience, but I purchased my E36 at 260km and it drove great for a year. A year later I replaced the clutch (first time ever on that car). Now at 318km there have still been no problems...

I think E36s are great cars and have a timeless style.
__________________
Daily: '06 S4
Wife: '05 X5 4.4i
Fun: '95 325is
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Bimmer4ever
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 90
Hey man, just because you've got a bad E36 and it doesn't mean all the e36s are shit. We all know that the fact is E36s were built druing 92-98. Any 10years old car (if it was built in 98..) needs owner to take care of it. I've owned two e36s so far, and the money I've spent on both of them were no more than $3500, winter tires fees inclueded.
When BMW fist introduced E36, the feedback from the market was so well and as a matter of fact, even in today's automotive marketing, you can still see E36s very often.

Well, after all, I just wana say sorry about your bad experiences with your E36. But don't blame all the E36s because of that. It's just not FAIR. Especially for those who owns good conditioning E36s.
Bimmer4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4ever View Post
Hey man, just because you've got a bad E36 and it doesn't mean all the e36s are shit. We all know that the fact is E36s were built druing 92-98. Any 10years old car (if it was built in 98..) needs owner to take care of it. I've owned two e36s so far, and the money I've spent on both of them were no more than $3500, winter tires fees inclueded.
When BMW fist introduced E36, the feedback from the market was so well and as a matter of fact, even in today's automotive marketing, you can still see E36s very often.

Well, after all, I just wana say sorry about your bad experiences with your E36. But don't blame all the E36s because of that. It's just not FAIR. Especially for those who owns good conditioning E36s.
I know some E36's were built at 1pm on Wednesdays and are half decent. I know that. But all my friends who've had them were spending thousands on them to maintain.. they just sold them as soon as they could... than driving it to complete the sale, the waterpump would go...
read this thread... than Understand.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=56053
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
dbworld4k
Addict
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ / ORD
Posts: 7,199
Hmm, looks like you got a POS specimen, and that's all there is to it. And I guess applying that one experience to a multitude of other E36s/BMWs is a logical way of thinking
__________________


'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Hmm, looks like you got a POS specimen, and that's all there is to it. And I guess applying that one experience to a multitude of other E36s/BMWs is a logical way of thinking
But all my friends who've had them were spending thousands on them to maintain.. they just sold them as soon as they could... than driving it to complete the sale, the waterpump would go...
read this thread... than Understand.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=56053

read how many issues are with these cars...
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
Sa///M3
4th Gear Member
 
Sa///M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North York, Ontario
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
yeah same with me, ive rarely had a problem i didnt create myself with my e36. its possible you got a lemon of a car.
+1 yep
__________________
"Circumstances may cause interruptions and delays, but never lose sight of your goal"
-Mario Andretti
Sa///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
propr'one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,683
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
nah, e36's are scrap. But most other cars are scrap too, and they look like shit.

So i'll keep my e36
__________________
d1s bulb canada

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
archrival
E36 Addict
 
archrival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Norwood, Ontario
Posts: 546
See the first thing here is the year comparison your 04 lexus is obviously not going to need as major of maintenance just due to the fact that its only 3 years old compare to our E36 that is a minimum of 9 years old...that right there is like comparing night to day. E36s with the proper maintenance thought can be super reliable...i now have 340k on my 328 and its still on its original clutch, i havent had to do anything to the car since i got it..previous owner had it for 9 years and did proper maintenance...I replaced the plugs the other day and thats it other than oil changes..I have a few electrical issues like everyone but for the price of the car and especially the priceless look of them I am happy with the money I have put out for the car
archrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.