Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Werd.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #17
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
^^ Thats because of the gearing. US M3s are geared much shorter to make the acceleration on par with the Euro-Spec M3. In terms of speed, the Euro-Spec will destroy it on the highway. Only after 150~ it will become apparent which car is faster.

Edit: Add to the fact that the Euro-Spec motor has its power curve shifted more towards higher end power on the top of the Rpm range. The US engine in comparison is torquey off the line but dies out in the higher Rpms.
awesome...so lets spend an extra 5 grand to drive faster at 150km/h
not worth it in the long run.....
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #18
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Euro-spec and US-Spec m3 have the same gearing, except evo m3 has an additional overdrive 6 speed.
Oh snap, now that I think of it, that would make sense, the trannys are the same, now assuming the rear diff ratio is the same...

Strange, I remember reading that somewhere that the US spec was geared shorter.. and absentmindedly wrote that down anyways... meh

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Oh snap, now that I think of it, that would make sense, the trannys are the same, now assuming the rear diff ratio is the same...

Strange, I remember reading that somewhere that the US spec was geared shorter.. and absentmindedly wrote that down anyways... meh
euro m3's up to 95 had the 188 type diff, with a 3.15 ratio.

Euro m3's after 96 had the 210 type diff with a 3.23 ratio.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
Dreamer99
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdbmwm3 View Post
whats your opinion about which is better etc........
my opinion
eurospec 3.2 is a waste of money

So are you basing your opinion on personal experience? How could you come to the conclusion that a 240hp, 236lb-ft of torque engine is better that 321hp and 258lb-ft of torque engine?

I pulled the stock engine out of my 99 M3 this past summer and put back in an S50B32 euro engine and there is no comparision between these engines. The Euro engine has more torque, more horsepower, better sound, a 7400rpm redline, solid lifters which can help prevent money shifting your engine, etc..

I also added a 6 speed transmission and 3:64 gears (to match the E46 M3) and I ran 0-60mph in 4.72 seconds with all season tires that would not hook up. I have a new set of sticky summers waiting to put on my car come springtime and I am expecting to run 4.6 seconds. I think Car and Driver tested the E46 M3 and the 400hp M5 going to 60 in 4.8 seconds. I can not wait to pull up to a light beside one of these cars!

The euro M3 cars did not have traction control but the 6 speed transmission had what is commonly known as a "first gear nanny". It prevented you from lighting the tires up in first gear and it ultimately cost the car from faster 0-60 times. I got my engine from a Z3M Roadster which had a different DME and no "nanny sensor" so I can light up my tires at will.

Doing the swap is not cheap and I am sure that bolting on a supercharger is less expensive but it is all about preference. Either way, there is no comparison between the S50B32 and S53B32 engines.
Dreamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #21
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer99 View Post
So are you basing your opinion on personal experience? How could you come to the conclusion that a 240hp, 236lb-ft of torque engine is better that 321hp and 258lb-ft of torque engine?

I pulled the stock engine out of my 99 M3 this past summer and put back in an S50B32 euro engine and there is no comparision between these engines. The Euro engine has more torque, more horsepower, better sound, a 7400rpm redline, solid lifters which can help prevent money shifting your engine, etc..

I also added a 6 speed transmission and 3:64 gears (to match the E46 M3) and I ran 0-60mph in 4.72 seconds with all season tires that would not hook up. I have a new set of sticky summers waiting to put on my car come springtime and I am expecting to run 4.6 seconds. I think Car and Driver tested the E46 M3 and the 400hp M5 going to 60 in 4.8 seconds. I can not wait to pull up to a light beside one of these cars!

The euro M3 cars did not have traction control but the 6 speed transmission had what is commonly known as a "first gear nanny". It prevented you from lighting the tires up in first gear and it ultimately cost the car from faster 0-60 times. I got my engine from a Z3M Roadster which had a different DME and no "nanny sensor" so I can light up my tires at will.

Doing the swap is not cheap and I am sure that bolting on a supercharger is less expensive but it is all about preference. Either way, there is no comparison between the S50B32 and S53B32 engines.
so car and driver tested both cars and after a couple runs found .1 sec of a difference in 0-60 and you dropped a eurospec motor into your usm3 and got over a full second better huh..than i guess car and driver doesnt know how to drive
Old 10-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #22
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
so car and driver tested both cars and after a couple runs found .1 sec of a difference in 0-60 and you dropped a eurospec motor into your usm3 and got over a full second better huh..than i guess car and driver doesnt know how to drive
did you even bother reading what he wrote, he also mentioned that he swapped the tranny & diff, those 2 items will definitely make it faster.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
Dreamer99
2nd Gear Member

80hp and gear changes made my car a full second quicker 0-60 than a stock US E36 M3. The euro cars shift out of first gear at 4600rpm due to the "nanny" so they have slowish 0-60 times. I would bet that the drivers for CarandDriver are ex-racers and know how to drive a car like I never will be able to.

Just to add to the CarandDriver 0-60 times, didn't they do a test with a 99M3 and a 2000 S4 and the bimmer ran to 60 in 6 seconds which would mean I gained 1.3 seconds in a 0-60 sprint. I figure that the gears made my car slightly quicker (.3 - 0.4 seconds to 60 mph) but having more power gives it the big pulling power.

Just so you know, the only difference between a 5 speed and 6 speed is that the sixth gear is an overdrive. The first five are the same. No performance gain.

Quote:

Last edited by Dreamer99; 10-18-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #24
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member

where did you get your tranny and how much did it run you, can you drop it into m3 US?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #25
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
where did you get your tranny and how much did it run you, can you drop it into m3 US?
It will fit to the engine, but you have to modify the driveshaft, as the 6 speed is longer.

Also, you can fit a 6 speed from the e46 m3 on your motor, but you have to modify the driveshaft with that transmission too.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #26
Dreamer99
2nd Gear Member

bimmerworld.com has transmissions and drive shafts. You also need a shifter and potentially a 6 bolt flange for your diff. You have to climb under your car and see what flange you have. The transmission bolts right up to your engine.

Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: