Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

Cooling issues.

I recently got this car. First thing on the list was to change the t-belt/water pump. That has been done.
The other problem that i had was it would never heat up to the proper operating temp. Where does your temp gauge needle stay at? Is it just below the middle mark? Mine was pass the blue, just a little over the first quarter mark.
Turned out viscous fan clutch was seized so the fan was on all the time. I got rid of the fan. Then i tested my auxilary fan and it only works on high speed setting. Low speed it doesn't work, although i hear the relay clicking. So i figured i need a new fan. I let the car idle till the needle on the temp gauge passed the middle and the high speed fan kicked like its suppose to. I test drove the car and the needle would drop down to that same point where it was before.
So my next step was the thermostat. And yes i put a chinese thermostat.
Don't ask me why i did it, it's done. It was a disaster to bleed the system, i had a huge air pocket. Anyhow, i managed to bleed it and decided to see if my high speed fan would kick in again. The fan didn't kick in and obviously coolant started to overfloat the reservoir bottle. I shut the engine off. Jumped the wires on the fan and it does work this way, when i connect it back it doesn't work through the thermo switch. It's weird cause the switch was just turning the fan on last night ( on the high speed).
I drove the car with no fan thinking since it has new thermostat it would be fine but the temp is still one quarter pass the blue mark.

Sorry for the long story, i searched and didn't see anyone having the same problems. You guys have any inputs on that?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ej_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I've had a similar problem with a cheap termostat my dad bought, since then i've always bought em from the dealer.

It would get too hot for my liking, i think the aftermarket ones don't open at the right time. They open too late.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

it's either thermostat or you gauge/ or temp sensor is not reading it right.
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

Well i had the same issues with my original tstat.
So i now i slapped a new one in and it does exactly the same thing except the aux fan stopped working on the high speed unless i jump green/black and brown black wires. The low speed didn't pass the jump test.

This is all happened overnight. All of the sudden the fan would not kick in on the high speed. Car does not overheat while driving. Runs between 1/4 and middle mark on the temp gauge.

Last edited by Ej_Red; 10-08-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Ej_Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: