Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
MPulse
2nd Gear Member

More Bad News

With all the attention on street racing these days and the new laws going into effect it looks like its only going to get worse. So sadly today 2 women were killed in a 5 vehicle crash. Apparently a BMW and an Audi may have been street racing and caused this crash. Seems like every time I hear about a crash these days they end the story with "street racing may have been to blame". The media seems all too ready to blame it on street racing. Sorry about those women though thats pretty sad. Both driver lost their license and face criminal charges. Heres a question which may sound dumb but I really dont know. If you lose you license (G, or G2) under these new laws for the one week, but you also own a bike which is under the M liscense can you still ride?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

No, the two are linked, anything you do on one will reflect on the other....
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

any motor vehicle licence will get affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
No, the two are linked, anything you do on one will reflect on the other....
ya doesnt matters if its ur M, DZ AZ as long as its a licence to operate a motor vehicle you lose it! what about if ur a pilot can u still fly or no?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

^^^Good question!!! I'll ask my friend, her ex was a pilot...she might know!

P.S, i have an E36 glove box if you still need one! lol
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

do you have the full story like how did the crash happen?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
rdtx2005
3rd Gear Member

Speed blamed in fatal crash
ANDREW WALLACE/TORONTO STAR
Const. Adam Minnion of Peel region police at the scene where two women were killed in a crash on Highway 50, near Mayfield Rd., north of Major MacKenzie Dr., in Brampton, Ont., Oct. 6, 2007.
Email Story Email story
Print Print
Text Size Text Size Text SizeChoose text size
Report Typo Report typo or correction
iCopyright License this article
Tag and Save Digg this story
Share on Facebook Add to Facebook
Tag and Save Tag on Delicious

Two brothers in custody after two women die in five-vehicle collision
Oct 07, 2007 04:30 AM
Tamsyn Burgmann
staff reporter

Just one week after Ontario's tough new street racing laws came into effect, Peel police have charged two brothers in a Brampton five-vehicle crash that killed two women.

Speeding is likely to blame, police said.

Witnesses told police two men – each driving a different car – were speeding in excess of 140 km/h just after noon yesterday when one lost control, setting off a chain reaction that sent three other cars careering across the road. The posted speed limit in the area is 80 km/h.

The women, believed to be in their late 30s or early 40s, from nearby Palgrave, were driving together in a burgundy Grand Am. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

The brothers each face two counts of criminal negligence causing death, but street racing charges may soon follow.

"There was obviously evidence to suggest people were responsible," said Const. Adam Minnion of Peel Region police. "We can't confirm this is a racing incident just yet."

Investigators worked for more than nine hours, some of it during lightning and torrential rain, piecing together what happened from nearly 150 metres of wreckage.

Who hit whom is still unclear, Minnion said, but the road was dry at the time of the crash.

"It is such a destructive mess-up, they're still figuring out what happened," he said, describing it as the worst accident he's seen in nearly a decade of policing.

"There's literally cars everywhere."

Before the crash, two cars were travelling south along Highway 50, toward Mayfield Rd., north of Major MacKenzie Dr., police said.

Early evidence suggests one, believed to be a black or dark blue Audi, lost control first. The second car was a grey BMW.

"We don't know if they rear-ended (the Grand Am) at such a high speed to push them, or if they crossed over a lane and hit it," Minnion said.

"(But) the Audi lost control somehow – it almost sounds like one car was in front of the other."

When it was all over, the Audi – its front smashed into a guardrail – rested against a tractor-trailer stopped on the northbound shoulder of Highway 50.

The rig's driver was unhurt, having pulled over with moments to spare after hearing a general alert over his CB radio about the accident as it was happening.

Drivers and passengers of the other cars were treated for minor injuries on the scene. Both brothers were unhurt.

"There's no way to go to that scene and tell who was going which way," Minnion said. "The (cars) are everywhere."

Highway 50 from Mayfield Rd. to Castlemore Rd. was closed until around 10 p.m.

Charged are Steven Machado, 22, and Brian Machado, 27, of Mississauga.

They were taken into custody. A bail hearing is set for today.

Police seized their cars under new provincial legislation that stipulates the vehicle of any driver speeding more than 50 km/h over the limit will be impounded for seven days, and the driver's licence suspended, also for seven days. There is a minimum $2,000 fine on conviction.

At least 225 cars have been impounded since the law took effect last Sunday.

Yesterday's crash was the second fatal collision in the area in 24 hours.

A young woman was killed Friday when the car in which she was a passenger collided with another at the intersection of Finch and Steeles Aves. just before 7:45 p.m.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
rdtx2005
3rd Gear Member

Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
rdtx2005
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPulse View Post
With all the attention on street racing these days and the new laws going into effect it looks like its only going to get worse. So sadly today 2 women were killed in a 5 vehicle crash. Apparently a BMW and an Audi may have been street racing and caused this crash. Seems like every time I hear about a crash these days they end the story with "street racing may have been to blame". The media seems all too ready to blame it on street racing. Sorry about those women though thats pretty sad. Both driver lost their license and face criminal charges. Heres a question which may sound dumb but I really dont know. If you lose you license (G, or G2) under these new laws for the one week, but you also own a bike which is under the M liscense can you still ride?
looking at the pictures of the crash.. it's hard to believe that speed was 'not' the cause of the deaths
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
325isRED
6th Gear Member

The worst part about this is the loss of life, But what really pisses me off, is that these were adults, 22 & 27.... ****ers

'92 325is 5sp
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

sad, I wonder whats the next law they gonna think of?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
jello_g
4th Gear Member

No law is too harsh for idiots responsible for this sort of mayhem. Some people just don't deserve to drive ever.

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

heres one of the 2 brothers

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...chado%2Csteven
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony_prelude View Post
ya doesnt matters if its ur M, DZ AZ as long as its a licence to operate a motor vehicle you lose it! what about if ur a pilot can u still fly or no?
Apperently that crash that happened in Brampton a few weeks ago with the truck driver and the 2 girls. The truck driver got his licence suspended but was able to keep his trucker's licence because he needs it for work!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
sad, I wonder whats the next law they gonna think of?
Just gotta keep upping the ante until people get the point. If losing your license and car isn't enough, start making it a criminal offense. Speeding isn't too different from walking into a not very busy supermarket and shooting a gun in random directions - odds are that 99% of the time no one will get hurt... but all it takes is a little "luck" and you'll easily kill someone. I'd personally much rather a blind person shoot a gun in my general direction than turn left as a light turns red, when some idiot decides he doesn't want to stop.

The main problem in this country is people drive so much, it's no more spectacular an event to them than breathing and they have no appreciation for what's involved. How many of you ever stop to think how many incredible things happen as you inhale? Well by the same token, how many of you ever stop to think that going 160kmh in a 2 ton car, you have about as much destructive energy as a pound of dynamite? Also how about the fact that in order to be an equal player in a collision as a minivan going 100kmh, a small car needs to travel about 140 kmh? (in other words, if a soccer mom in her minivan, mashes you in the back at 100 kmh, it's the same as if a normal car did it at 140)

Basic physics can be quite eye opening. But here's another one... Germany had about 7800 traffic fatalities in 1998 with a population of about 82 million. Canada had 3000 fatalities in 1997 with a population of 30 million. Disregarding population density since they are really about the same (we have more area but are clustered just like they are), that is pretty much the same rate. Germany is a country with extremely strict traffic laws where you lose your license for things like passing on the right. You know what, those death rates are pretty damn close to being exactly the same. The only conclusion I can come from this, which is normally obvious but sometimes lost when people clutch at straws to look for the "source" of the problem to find some knee jerk solution - there are stupid people EVERYWHERE, who are liable to do stupid shit and sometimes kill people as a result.

So while I think Canada is moving in the right direction with big brothering the roads, it's never going to make a huge difference unless they drastically change how we drive (ie all cars will be tracked and automatically shut down and fined/impounded when the driver speeds). Even if they mandate speed governors, the fix for someone who really wants one is a phone call to MarkD away.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
dbworld4k
Addict

BTW, does this street racing law apply to highways only, or local roads too? I'm wondering because it is filed under the HTA - so basically, what roads does the HTA apply to?

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: