Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

Flat, lackluster black paintjob

Anyone post anything regarding this kind of paintjob. I like it because it has a stealth appeal, helps hide dings and dents, and reflects (or should I say 'deflects') light better than a conventional paint job. Is it cheaper at all? I would imagine that it requires less components than a regular paint job since there is a lack of clearcoat and that it would be easier to repair as blending would not be as difficult. Post anything regarding price, pros, cons, people who will do it, people who will do it well, people who have done it and general opinion.
6appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

im assuming ur talking about a flat black / matte paint. it seems to be getting more and more popular iv seen some awesome pics around the net of some sick cars being matte black, looks...strange.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
BLACKKNIGHT
2nd Gear Member

Hey bud. Are you talkin about making your car a flat black? kind of like an old hot rod?........There is a few options available.... I have painted a few... When you do paint a flat black, You usually do still put a clear coat on top. If you dont, Your finish will get damaged very easily, and it doesnt last. The clear we put on is pretty much the same as normal clear coat except there is a flatening agent which dulls the finish.. Another option is just to finish your car with a black epoxy primer..I think this is the best method because epoxy is very hard and also prevents rust..That is whats normally used on a classic restoration.(not usually used at production bodyshops). If you want to go the cheap way... Theres always tremclad..lol.. If you prep your car properly...tremclad paint actually works pretty decent. You can go with a matte or flat finish, as long as you can spray it evenly...It will look good.
Hope that helps
BLACKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

Judging by what you've told me, I would go with the first option you had mentioned. Any ballpark on price?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #5
BLACKKNIGHT
2nd Gear Member

Well. The flat clear is generally a little more expensive than your normal clear because its more of a hot rod type finish...When your doin something like that...its always gonn cost more $$$. Regarding cost, If you take it to a decent shop you should be expecting to pay anywhere from $2800 and up for a complete repaint. Its not so much cost of paint that detemines the price. Because the paint,clear and materials usually cost less than $800. It is the labour that makes it so expensive. When we do a complete it usually takes aproxamately 2 weeks to finish it. But thats because we strip the car completley.All the bumpers,mouldings,door handles etc, come off. It is a very labourous process. I start my paintjobs at $3500 and up.
BLACKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
stiffy
You puked ON Dean Wormer

Check out this thread on bimmerforums... there are a few other threads from teh same guy during the process. The look is all a matter of personal rast I think...some like it...others not so much...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=matte+black
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

nice link!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
appleman44
1st Gear Newbie

Go for the chalkboard paint!

You can buy it at like Canadian Tire, its actually the same paint they use to make a chalkboard, you can draw shit on it all day then just rub it off haha..

I'll find some pics I know theres lots of old dubs with it, fun on race days/ road trips and stuff you colour it any colour you want!
appleman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
appleman44
1st Gear Newbie

appleman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
DriveItSideways
Banned

Flat black for the easy win took me 4hours to paint the car LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikerx.JPG (76.2 KB, 165 views)
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Q5Quint
AWD Turbo Love

The john deere blitz black is a good buy~ no waxing/ care required

also super cheap~

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr...hlight=q5quint

Check out my Turbo recipe! Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint 3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!