Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Videos and Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Tiff Needell Drives the 2007 M3

Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, that man is my idol!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
bmwmmn
2nd Gear Member

+1
bmwmmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
///Milan
4th Gear Member

Man this car is really disappointing. I was pretty optimistic but this really kinda seals it for me. This is really a bad review from Tiff, he seems to be very tactful and chooses his words but he says it feels lazier than the E46. How can that be good in any way. Plus the steering system is retarded, so I have to be going over about 150 for it to have steering feel? Why doesn't it always have good steering feel? I think this is really a step back from the E46.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
jeffrie
Addict

^^ I agree, you can see it's a little squirly on the drifts, not Tiff's style.
Not to mention a M3 WITHOUT LSD ?

That's sad watching that one wheel burner limp it's way around the track.

IMO BMW isn't even trying anymore, just out for the $$$ now.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
Who told you that?

Quote:
The variable M differential lock

To ensure that all the power developed by the 4.0-litre V8 engine is transferred to the road, the new M3 features a variable, torque-sensing differential lock developed by M GmbH. This provides the vehicle with a high level of driving stability and optimal traction, especially when cornering.

Unlike a normal limited slip differential with a 25 or 50 per cent locking capability, the variable M differential lock can, in extreme conditions, provide up to 100 per cent locking. This means that when one of the rear wheels loses traction on a more slippery part of the road, or when the inside wheel spins on very tight bends, the M3’s differential will ensure that the drive shafts send the correct amount of drive to the wheel that is able to transmit power to the road. When a driven rear wheel threatens to lose traction, pressure is generated in an integrated shear pump. This pressure is transferred to a multiple-disc clutch via a piston. In this way drive forces are directed to the wheel with better grip as determined by the difference in the rotational speed of the wheels. When the difference in rotational speed decreases, the locking action diminishes.

The advantages of the variable M differential lock are:

- 0-100 per cent drive force can be delivered to either driven wheel.

- On snow, gravel or ice a conventional torque-sensing differential does not offer enough flexibility. The variable M differential provides a substantial advantage when the driven wheels are subject to greatly varying coefficients of friction.

- When combined with a finely tuned DSC+ system and a near 50/50 weight distribution, this differential lock helps the car to excel in very slippery conditions.

- The system delivers rewarding handling on roads with average to high frictional coefficients.

- It combines safety, stability and driving pleasure.
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-...upe-in-UK.html
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Sa///M3
4th Gear Member

The new M3 DOES have LSD.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

Well I'm not impressed with the computer controlled diff.
I didn't look it up, my observations were purly from watching that video and saw the one wheel burnout launches and the one black strip left on each corner, didn't look like it switches lockups in a predictable manner either as a pro like Tiff seem to be in a struggle to keep a drift.
Specs say otherwise but looks like nothing more then a suficticated open diff to me. Geuss I'll have to test one out one day to see for myself.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron328 View Post
Man this car is really disappointing. I was pretty optimistic but this really kinda seals it for me. This is really a bad review from Tiff, he seems to be very tactful and chooses his words but he says it feels lazier than the E46. How can that be good in any way. Plus the steering system is retarded, so I have to be going over about 150 for it to have steering feel? Why doesn't it always have good steering feel? I think this is really a step back from the E46.

You have to keep in mind that when he says it feels lazier its because he compares how fast it revs compared to the previous engine. Since this is a V( it will have more torque per revs than the previous one and therefore no need to rev the crap out of it. Compared with the previous one this engine probably offers more go per rev than the previous one.
As for the steering...he doesnt seem to be saying its bad at lower speeds. He just says it gets better the faster you go. That is a very good thing as you need to have a heavier feel the faster you go.
I am sure that when you test the car you will find its better than before.
Plus if this engine is more economical even by a small difference and is the same weight or lighter then i would prefer this one. You need to remember that torque is more important in the track or when you are overtaking.

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:

That's sad watching that one wheel burner limp it's way around the track.

IMO BMW isn't even trying anymore, just out for the $$$ now.
Considering how many laws and regulations cars like this have to comply with nowadays i wouldnt say BMW are not trying. Where else can you find a car as fast, comfortable and exciting as this with the same amount of money. You would need a Porche or something better to equal it and you would still not have the space. I dont think Audi can compare as VFM as yes it is fast and roomy and has even better quality of build but the sheer entertainment factor of the BMW is nowhere to be found on the Audi. Mercedes is the same so far since they are pricier and so far not as confidence inspiring!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
///Milan
4th Gear Member

^ That's the point though, the E46 is MORE exciting than the E92. It's still a great car but it doesn't feel like a natural progression from the E46. This seems like a totally different animal. There's too many counter productive little technologies in it for me. I'm not a fan of all these little things that make the car feel like crap until you push a button or go over 150 for it to feel like a sporty car. I'd like it to ALWAYS feel sporty. Why can't I have steering feel when I'm going through some country road doing 80?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Soldo
6th Gear Member

More power is always more exciting. Show me otherwise.

I dunno, personally i didn't/don't like the look of the new M3's but i can't deny the technology/power. They always get bigger and better. I'm skeptical on the active steering, but anyone who has it says it's a good thing.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Well I'm not impressed with the computer controlled diff.
I didn't look it up, my observations were purly from watching that video and saw the one wheel burnout launches and the one black strip left on each corner, didn't look like it switches lockups in a predictable manner either as a pro like Tiff seem to be in a struggle to keep a drift.
Specs say otherwise but looks like nothing more then a suficticated open diff to me. Geuss I'll have to test one out one day to see for myself.
And that's why you shouldn't "assume" just based on watching a video.

I just watched it again, and i'm still looking for the "one wheel burnouts".
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
jeffrie
Addict

Look harder, they do a good job at hiding it as any car can drift.
But if you watch tiff's reveiw of the E46 M first then watch this you'll see the difference of how much more fun he's having and his added control he has with a normal LSD.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
///Milan
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
More power is always more exciting. Show me otherwise.

Power has little to do with exciting. So a Lotus Elise is more boring than a Ford pickup cuz it has less power? It's power delivery.

All the reviews I've read have stated the E92 doesn't feel much faster than the E46 and if you look at the 0-60's you see that too.

And jeffrie is right about Tiff's review. Take a look at Tiff's E46 review, he's raving about how fun it is to drive, it's obvious he loves it, compare that to this one, he just doesn't seem convinced. Of course I'm basing all this on not having driven one yet but, I think Tiff's a lot more qualified than I am to judge it anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: