Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #46
Johnny
2nd Gear Member

Trucks

Don't know why I am bothering to get involved, but from commuting to and from Brampton from Toronto every day I think I have had my share of trucks. In Brampton they park three lanes across Steeles and bring everyone down to 50km in an 80 zone. They pull out into traffic, using two lanes, where there's no hope in hell of merging safely, and change lanes in a casual and often dangerous way, and they can do all this because they are trucks. Brampton's city planning has made it a city of trucks. They congest left turn lanes and pull all sorts of selfish road-blocking moves.
This is because truck drivers are about the same as car drivers. 98% of them are totally unaware or concerned about the people around them on the road. The difference is that trucks will always win. They are bigger, their bumpers don't match cars in height, and they take up too much room to allow for avoidance.
Just this last week, some truck slammed in to slower traffic, mashed three or vehicles and crushed a guy to death in his mini-van. Last Thursday night a guy at the top of my street was killed because a moving truck decided to wander across Avenue Road. A speeding BMW hit him, knocking the truck into another 540 that was waiting to turn right. The truck ended up on top the 540. One guy dead and three people in hospital. Trucks just don't mix well with cars.
Trucks also cause far more damage and wear to roads than cars, in a far greater proportion than their licensing fees reflect. We are used to an American "just-in-time" style of product delivery, when we could use rail and other transport much more effectively. Reducing their use may not help congestion much, but nearly every accident I can remember shutting down major highways and causing hell involved a truck.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #47
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Don't know why I am bothering to get involved, but from commuting to and from Brampton from Toronto every day I think I have had my share of trucks. In Brampton they park three lanes across Steeles and bring everyone down to 50km in an 80 zone. They pull out into traffic, using two lanes, where there's no hope in hell of merging safely, and change lanes in a casual and often dangerous way, and they can do all this because they are trucks. Brampton's city planning has made it a city of trucks. They congest left turn lanes and pull all sorts of selfish road-blocking moves.
This is because truck drivers are about the same as car drivers. 98% of them are totally unaware or concerned about the people around them on the road. The difference is that trucks will always win. They are bigger, their bumpers don't match cars in height, and they take up too much room to allow for avoidance.
Just this last week, some truck slammed in to slower traffic, mashed three or vehicles and crushed a guy to death in his mini-van. Last Thursday night a guy at the top of my street was killed because a moving truck decided to wander across Avenue Road. A speeding BMW hit him, knocking the truck into another 540 that was waiting to turn right. The truck ended up on top the 540. One guy dead and three people in hospital. Trucks just don't mix well with cars.
Trucks also cause far more damage and wear to roads than cars, in a far greater proportion than their licensing fees reflect. We are used to an American "just-in-time" style of product delivery, when we could use rail and other transport much more effectively. Reducing their use may not help congestion much, but nearly every accident I can remember shutting down major highways and causing hell involved a truck.
ANY accident on a highway causes shut down and total hell. There are more car accidents than truck accidents by far.

Also, you can't stick produce or flowers on a rail container. Products are time sensitive.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #48
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

FYI a truck bumper is LOWER than your average SUV's bumper.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #49
e30bim
Banned

Boots you clit, stick to the topic at hand! Are the flowers or apples going to go bad if they lose 4 hrs a day of time they can't be on the hwy in the GTA? Why can't they time to be driving in business hours or in the middle of the night, or at a loading dock from 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm??? I'm sure if this became law somehow the economy wouldn't slow down. We would begin to have a smoother running system and I'm sure business owners would just deal with it and work around it. You're just conditioned to think that everything is ok in todays society. You need to go open your mind and think outside the box. Smoke a joint with stikigreenz and open your mind brotha.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #50
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
Boots you clit, stick to the topic at hand! Are the flowers or apples going to go bad if they lose 4 hrs a day of time they can't be on the hwy in the GTA? Why can't they time to be driving in business hours or in the middle of the night, or at a loading dock from 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm??? I'm sure if this became law somehow the economy wouldn't slow down. We would begin to have a smoother running system and I'm sure business owners would just deal with it and work around it. You're just conditioned to think that everything is ok in todays society. You need to go open your mind and think outside the box. Smoke a joint with stikigreenz and open your mind brotha.
Flowers don't only go through trucks. They will travel through planes and other QUICK means of transport, thats alot of travelling right there, as a result EACH AND EVERY MINUTE count for flowers. Thats the worst nightmare for the people who grow flowers...missing the plane and they are pretty much losing everything. its not an easy industry as you think!! flowers is not about the cheap knockoff ones, its all about the real deal and how fresh they are. Those guys would lose thousands if they show any sign of fatigue during travelling

Last edited by AceOfSpades; 09-27-2007 at 10:29 AM.
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #51
europrince
6th Gear Member

^ thanks for the business lesson.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #52
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me? The only place i've ever heard of having arrangements like that are the businesses on Sherbrooke Street in Montreal, and it's a ****ing HASSLE to deliver there. It wouldn't be a "smoother" running system.

You're just a lazy bitch who doesn't like to sit in traffic, and is deciding to blame truck drivers, and not the other 4 million people sitting in traffic with you.

**** you. Deal with it.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #53
europrince
6th Gear Member

what a turd this e30 guy is
Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #54
VSanj
6th Gear Member

^^X2, and we thought u were bad.........lol..........this guys taking your title brother.....joking!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #55
europrince
6th Gear Member

lol i like being a shit destruber but i was never close to being this bad
Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #56
Johnny
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
ANY accident on a highway causes shut down and total hell. There are more car accidents than truck accidents by far.

Also, you can't stick produce or flowers on a rail container. Products are time sensitive.
There is a radical difference between two cars getting in an accident and a truck flipping over and shutting down three or four lanes. Never mind that if there is a fatality, it closes the road for hours.
As for produce and flowers, they aren't the only things in trucks.

And as for bumpers, the front might be lower, but I remember the nose of my 320i going under the back of a truck that cut me off - changed lanes without even looking. Nothing happened to my car, but it was a tense couple of seconds. If I hit that at speed, the back of the truck would have been in my windshield.

Even today, I was cut off twice by trucks on the way in, and two seperate trucks were blocking lanes on the way home.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #57
woofster
3rd Gear Member

My recommendations to ease rush hour traffic:

1) Lanes need to be better layed out. In other words, transfer lanes between the Express/Collectors and between Collectors/on-offramps need to be consistent for each exit. This can be achieved by eliminating "disappearing lanes" and "driving lanes that suddenly become exits". 3 standard lanes. A 4th lane is created well in advance of each exit. On-ramp merging lanes should extend well into the highway as well, giving drivers a chance to merge without slowing down excessively.

e.g. How many times have you been in the left lane on the Collectors, only to have that lane all of a sudden become a merge lane onto the Express forcing you to switch over to the right?
Likewise, how many times have you been in the slow right lane on the Collectors, cruising along, only to find out that the lane is suddenly an exit lane off the highway?

2) More consistent highway speeds. It's the "difference in speeds" that create havoc amongst cars. If everyone cruised at, say, 120 kph, with a 1.5 car gap between bumpers, changing lanes and merging/exiting would be a lot more predictable and easier.

3) Driving etiquette needs to be changed. When cars need to merge, let them merge. Same with changing lanes. If following note #2 above, this shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't think trucks alone have a significant affect on overall traffic. Highway infrastructure, poor driving and sheer volume of vehicles on the road are the prime sources of the problem.

Last edited by woofster; 09-27-2007 at 08:14 PM.
woofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #58
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofster View Post
My recommendations to ease rush hour traffic:

1) Lanes need to be better layed out. In other words, transfer lanes between the Express/Collectors and between Collectors/on-offramps need to be consistent for each exit. This can be achieved by eliminating "disappearing lanes" and "driving lanes that suddenly become exits". 3 standard lanes. A 4th lane is created well in advance of each exit. On-ramp merging lanes should extend well into the highway as well, giving drivers a chance to merge without slowing down excessively.

2) More consistent highway speeds. It's the "difference in speeds" that create havoc amongst cars. If everyone cruised at, say, 120 kph, with a 1.5 car gap between bumpers, changing lanes and merging/exiting would be a lot more predictable and easier.

3) Driving etiquette needs to be changed. When cars need to merge, let them merge. Same with changing lanes. If following note #2 above, this shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't think trucks alone have a significant affect on overall traffic. Highway infrastructure, poor driving and sheer volume of vehicles on the road are the prime sources of the problem.
You hit the nail on the head, repeatedly here.

Jay

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #59
Johnny
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
You hit the nail on the head, repeatedly here.

Jay
While this may sound good, let's deal with reality. The GTA has pretty good lane allocations, and except for a few bizarre moments, are quite generous with mergers. One big problem with merging is that drivers never think to match speed. So entering a 100k zone at 60 causes problems. More bewildering is that the longer the merge lane, the less likely that a driver will use that space to accelerate to speed.
A uniform speed is even more far-fetched. Have you seen the way a person in a Toyota Camry drives? There are so many people on the road who seem totally surprised to be there, why imagine that they would notice they are driving 80 in the middle lane, or worse, while everyone around them makes dangerous moves to pass them?
The initial issue, trucks, is still a major problem. Logistics (a major euphemism for trucking) is major business. Therefore, the loss of a few innocent people in the name of commerce is acceptable because someone is making money. It may not be the truckers I see making turns in traffic while changing one of twelve gears and talking on a cell phone that are the problem. Maybe it is the people at computers pushing the drivers to make up time because they have a schedule to meet.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #60
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member

Heres a good idea, stop ripping out railway tracks and start transporting goods by rail.
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: