Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
e30bim
Banned

Rush Hour Traffic

After yesterdays horrific crash on the 427 involving yet another transport truck. I wanted to start a thread about what you guys think about transport trucks being on Metropolitan highways during rush hour (7am-9am, 4:30-6:30pm). I respect transport truck drivers, I realise they pay the same road taxes, gas taxes, etc. etc. I realise their importance to the economy, but do you think that they could ever have certain hours they would have to take their sleeps, or time their route's so they are outside the city during these hours? It's just a discussion that was brought up at work and I want to hear what the Max'ers think...

I personally think it would cut down on a fair amount of traffic, they can own the roads during the night and during business hours. I realise the answer to solving traffic problems is carpooling and getting people on public transit.

What do you guys think???
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Retarded idea.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
5JABIJ8
5th Gear Member

Well in . India new Dehli and some parts of Europe and China.. Trucks are not allowed in the city during daylight hours at all. All companies and business are to get their deliveries at night and it seems to be working in those over populated countries so they must be doing something right?
5JABIJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

The difference would be neglible, there's still a great volume of cars clogging up the roads.

I would support a law keeping transports in the right lane however, there's no excuse for them to be in the passing lane.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
europrince
6th Gear Member

Any curtailing of truck driving or shipment delivery hours en masse would have a huge impact economically. Staffing for truck loading and unloading would have to change across the economy. What would be the solution for long haul truckers who drive half a day to several days to their delivery destination? How would you regulate this? Any regulation of the free flow of goods would lead to large inefficiencies in labour, equipment and investment dollars, and would take a large toll on our economy. This idea is a non-starter.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
Any curtailing of truck driving or shipment delivery hours en masse would have a huge impact economically. Staffing for truck loading and unloading would have to change across the economy. What would be the solution for long haul truckers who drive half a day to several days to their delivery destination? How would you regulate this? Any regulation of the free flow of goods would lead to large inefficiencies in labour, equipment and investment dollars, and would take a large toll on our economy. This idea is a non-starter.
Exactly.

Long Haul drivers have log-book hours to adhere to. If a driver is coming from Detroit to Montreal, and has to pass through Toronto, do you think it makes sense that he has to pull over for a few hours, just because "Johnny No-Drive" is a little scared of a Truck bigger than him.

I say GOOD. Stay afraid. That's the whole concept behind being a defensive driver. Expect the unexpected, pay attention to your surroundings. Too many drivers I see just assume that "the other guy" will get out of the way.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
e30bim
Banned

I'm impressed with the comments so far, especially the wonderful contribution from boots! Never have I heard such a insightful view to a topic, backed up with such a targeted array of facts and theory. Of his 7,074 posts, I'm sure each one has shed unique perspective on the topic at hand. He is more than likely being headhunted by the folks at CNN Crossfire. Anyways, I elect we get a trophy for boots proclaiming him as the 2007 Maxbimmer "Airhead of the year"
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

There really is no easy solution.

No trucks in the left lane is a start, but that does nothing for rush hour traffic when you can't move anyways.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
I'm impressed with the comments so far, especially the wonderful contribution from boots! Never have I heard such a insightful view to a topic, backed up with such a targeted array of facts and theory. Of his 7,074 posts, I'm sure each one has shed unique perspective on the topic at hand. He is more than likely being headhunted by the folks at CNN Crossfire. Anyways, I elect we get a trophy for boots proclaiming him as the 2007 Maxbimmer "Airhead of the year"
Oh, i'm sorry, was I too insightful for you?

Clearly you know nothing of how transportation works. Coming from someone who WORKS in the business, I would know. And from anyone who also works in the business, you would hear the same response.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
I say this...

trucks in the right lane only... you will see that these trucks will move faster then the rest of traffic... at a more even pace.

here's my theory;

automatic cars are the problem..... mini vans especially.... there is no logic to driving an automatic car and some people still can't grasp that concept. I notice a lot of people braking very hard and sudden in automatic cars while there is still 20 feet of room infront of them... why do you need to jam on the brakes... just take your flippin' foot off the gas pedal and watch the car slow down... now automatic cars will not slow down as fast as a manual 5/6 speed... but it will.

so, here's final point... can't the government or driver training people not teach drivers the simple task of estimating oncoming traffics speed? Soooo many times I see people pull out and they think that car that's coming is soooo far away, but yet it's right up there but now... so many times I stay behind trucks on the highways b/c I am tired of shifting gears...I will run 2nd gear to 3rd gear behind trucks and ... in regular traffic.... 1st gear, brake... all the way.

so, make all cars manual transmissions... that would eliminate some of the bad drivers... teach speed detecting of on coming traffic... and keep all the trucks in the right lanes... and watch.. you will see that they will be moving at a steady pace...
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
Exactly.

Long Haul drivers have log-book hours to adhere to. If a driver is coming from Detroit to Montreal, and has to pass through Toronto, do you think it makes sense that he has to pull over for a few hours, just because "Johnny No-Drive" is a little scared of a Truck bigger than him.

I say GOOD. Stay afraid. That's the whole concept behind being a defensive driver. Expect the unexpected, pay attention to your surroundings. Too many drivers I see just assume that "the other guy" will get out of the way.
The suggestion at the top was with regards to traffic congestion. Not people being afraid of trucks.
Zim Zimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by punnzzells View Post
so, make all cars manual transmissions... that would eliminate some of the bad drivers... teach speed detecting of on coming traffic... and keep all the trucks in the right lanes... and watch.. you will see that they will be moving at a steady pace...
You won't find many automatic's in Europe, and believe it or not, they too have traffic jams.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
Is this an example of you exhibiting your vast intelligence?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punnzzells View Post
I say this...

trucks in the right lane only... you will see that these trucks will move faster then the rest of traffic... at a more even pace.

here's my theory;

automatic cars are the problem..... mini vans especially.... there is no logic to driving an automatic car and some people still can't grasp that concept. I notice a lot of people braking very hard and sudden in automatic cars while there is still 20 feet of room infront of them... why do you need to jam on the brakes... just take your flippin' foot off the gas pedal and watch the car slow down... now automatic cars will not slow down as fast as a manual 5/6 speed... but it will.

right lane only won't work. it has been publicly suggested to an outcry of how cars will get on and off the highway if the right lane is clogged with trucks.

manual vs automatic is a really silly idea. you're making stuff up as you go along. the type of tranny you drive has no bearing on how bad a driver you are or how quick you can stop. are you saying a manual civic will outstop an automatic porsche?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
5JABIJ8
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
There really is no easy solution.

No trucks in the left lane is a start, but that does nothing for rush hour traffic when you can't move anyways.

I agree with your statement at least they should try this NO TRUCKS in the left lane It may keep traffic flowing hopefully anywayz!!!
5JABIJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: