Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Broke Satellite Radio Antenna!!!

shiiiiiitttte!

And the stupid thing was I wasn't even pulling on the wire hard at all! Just trying to route it through the interior of my car & the damned wire snapped! I'm wondering if it was possibly cracked or weak? Doesn't matter now I suppose.

I've been trying to find a way to join the wire back together & have managed to get it to acquire the signal, but I can't get it to stay together well enough to maintain the signal.

I'm gonna call Sirius tomorrow & see if there's any chance that they'll warranty it. It's only a week old; but I doubt they'll care about that.

Anyone got any thoughts on ways I can fix this? Or does anyone know a place that I could get one of the antenna's shipped cheap?

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Happened to me.. couldn't find another antenna so I bought a whole new receiver for $30 and grabbed the antenna.. sold the rest for $20...

Best way is to splice the inside wire long enough and solder it together, and the outside wire same thing. It'll be a pain, but it can be done..

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Is it true that the XM and sirius antennas are the same? Cause if they are I could get an XM receiver cause they're so much cheaper than the Sirius ones.

That might be an option. I think I saw a couple of antennas on Fleabay but they were like $30 bucks!

Might try the soldering tomorrow. Skeeters were getting thick & I had to stop for the night. Maybe I can solder the center wire, & then try to rebraid the grounding jacket?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Yeah try that see what happens.. Worst comes to worst check out the antenna's. As for XM I have no clue if they fit on Sirius.. Forgot to mention that this happened in the US, that's why it was $30 for the whole thing..

Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Well, the verdict is in!

After a quick call to Sirius; I packed up the whole works & took it back to Sears (wifey gets a discount) & they replaced the whole unit! Sweet!!

No questions asked really; sirius just asked me if it was my fault if the wire broke. I said no of course.

So all is well & happy again! Thanks Nascar318 for the help! BTW: me & the wife went down to Loudon this past weekend for the race.. Awesome!!! I'd highly recommend it if you ever get the chance!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Good to hear! Glad I could be of service. Nice to know that Sirius will take there stuff back. And yeah those cables are so flimsy it sucks the big one!..

Lucky!! When my cable broke it was on the way back from Bristol hihihi Been twice this year lol.. Louden 2 times in my life, if you guys camp at the track it's even better Bristol got there Tuesday night, came home sunday.. 4 2-4's later lol! Awsome times man. If your on face book you can see all the pics from alot of Nascar races lol.. I'm an addict, I think the party's don't help.. 4-5 days of drinking..

Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

I think if we go back next year I'd like to take a little more time. We left saturday morning, stayed about an hour away from the track; then fought traffic for a couple of hours trying to get to the track. On the way home, we were stuck in between a bunch of the haulers: McMurray, Menard, Truex, Labonte, Regan, Schrader, and a few others. Pretty cool atmosphere to say the least!

The guy who got us the tickets went wednesday & camped at the track. He doesn't remember alot of the events of the week...

I wanna be that guy!

BTW: Guessing you're a hendrick guy; what do you think of Jr's set-up for next year?

Old 09-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

You have to go for the week If you can look up the torrent for Nascar Primetime Talladega, I think it was episode 3...

I love his setup I would have liked to see Tony go over to Hendrick now that Gibbs is going to Toyota..
And yes I'm a Hendrick fan Here's my flag pole on the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n503036151_261207_3532.jpg (40.9 KB, 23 views)

Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

I really hope that Junior does well next year. Kinda disappointed that Eury Jr and half of the 8 crew are going with him though. But I suppose time will tell. What sucks most now is I have to buy all new gear!! And I just got my coat broke in nice too...

Too bad about Gibbs heading to the Toyota camp. Granted they needed to have a team that was actually going to be competetive (unlike poor whiney Waltrip) but I just can't see Smoke being the poster boy for the Camry...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: