Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
static
6th Gear Member

putting OBD1 motor into OBD2 chassis: legal issues?

just what subject asks.

If i were to put obd1 bmw engine into say 96+ e36 chassis, will i have problems with passing emmissions? any other legal hurdles?

Thanks
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

No legal issues if no one finds out. Seriously though, people do OBDI conversions on 96+ cars all the time, so long as it passes emissions you're kosher.

Are you planning on putting the S50 into an E36 now?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
No legal issues if no one finds out. Seriously though, people do OBDI conversions on 96+ cars all the time, so long as it passes emissions you're kosher.

Are you planning on putting the S50 into an E36 now?
i don't know what i am gonna do yet, the only thing i know right now is that daily driving the s50e30 40kms a day in stop and go is a bitch. I might just put a turbo4 into the chassis down the road and have a bigger bimmer for a daily.

I read somewhere that the emission testing process for obd2 cars is different (obd2 interface and all). I want no bad surprises after everything is said and done. The emission limits may be different too for obd2 cars. It's getting harder and harder to find a decent pre-95 chassis.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Axxe

Why not just buy something else for daily? Turbo M42 isn't what everyone makes it out to be.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Keep the E30 the way it is and buy yourself an E36 318i for a daily driver. They go dirt cheap now... much less than you will spend transplanting motors and turbo'ing an M42.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
static
6th Gear Member

guess you are right guys. I was just asking in case i get say a 96+ 318 and would want to do a swap in future - just considering my options.

in regards to turbo4 e30, i was greatly inspired by this guy
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=698624

i would think 300whp/tq est (he needs more tuning) would feel pretty nice with very little weight in the front.
Besides, i got so comfortable with Megasquirt by now that it would be a sin not to FI something soon.

Last edited by static; 09-19-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Axxe

It doesn't make that much of a difference...seriously. Just compensate with slightly stiffer spring rates up front and all is kosher once again.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
It doesn't make that much of a difference...seriously. Just compensate with slightly stiffer spring rates up front and all is kosher once again.
btw, last track day i found the solution to my gross oversteer problem. went from 38/35 (front/rear psi) to 32/32 - it handled amazing! very slight understeer easily corrected with attenuating non-snap power oversteer with throttle - i loved it, but the 205s rs2s are no match of course. Next year it's 215 falken rt615s.
spring rate should be fine really as taking out the 50lbs of AC components should have compensate for the heavier engine. I have yet to sample the m42e30 handling character on track, but people say very good things. apparently it's not just the fact that it's shorter and sits deeper, the block is also to the right of the center line, offsetting the driver weight.

testdriven a 318TI the other day - that car was pretty fun to drive (ugly as sin tho), and amazingly puled pretty good after 4krpm
Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
Axxe

H&R sports still? Seriously, that's the handicap. Even an M42 with similar power won't do much with that spring set up. And yes, tire pressures make all the difference. If I was in your position, I'd upgrade to GC's, corner balance the car, and then play with spring rates and/or sway bars to your liking. 6 cyl E30's don't handle as bad as most make it out to be, and the turbo M42 will have a very peaky rev band in order to make power out of a 1.8.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 AM   #10
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

spring rates, blah blah, weight distribution, blah, tires, blah, pressure, blah blah ****ing blah. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE THE CAR AT THE LIMITS FIRST, THEN START PICKING IT APART FOR PROBLEMS!! I can lap around a course in a bone stock E30 faster than most people in their tuner-special. Stop blaming the car for the obvious short-comings. The writing is on the wall. Don't mean to be an a$$hole, just want to see more people on the ACTUAL track, then sitting on the forums TALKING about what's wrong with their car. There's a Dunville day coming up on Sat Sept 29, PM if you're interested in going for pointers.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
static
6th Gear Member

don't worry Randy, you are not an a$$hole. I never claimed to have serious driving skills, but the fact that i went off the track couple of times with 38/35 because of god-awful understeer (i did push it, really), and did muuuuch better because of much more neutral feel with 32/32 counts for something. Randy, remember you drove my car at autox? You yourself was disgusted at how the car plowed even with pedal to the metal.

yea, still H&R sports. I have upgraded 20/16sways too (came with the car apparently), which is helping with body roll. But yes, if the car wouldn't be a daily, i'd go GCs all the way!

and who the hell moved this thread to e30 section? e30 is not OBD2 !!!! i need more feedback to my original question
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Sorry for the thread jack, but you have a somewhat unrelated PM Randy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: