Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
summit425
Alpine White
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downtown Toronto
Posts: 1,322
yes e90 328 is 3.0L not 2.8L

e90 328 and 330 both are 3.0L but 330 has more torque and HP.
summit425 is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
e30bim
Banned
 
e30bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 697
Sorry Rodo, I'm not saying there's a chance that he cannot afford to plop down $45k cash for the car, but it's very unlikely, in fact I will put down $1000 of my own money as a bet to say that he does not have that sort of $$$ lying around, even if it is parked in mutual funds, bonds or actively in the market. I personally am saying this as a person who grew up in a house with a father who is a CA and is the CFO of a large company. I was always told the best financial advise in terms of cars, if you cannot afford to pay cash for a car you shouldn't be driving it. I am not disagreeing for one second with you in regards to interest rates, and why not borrow money at a lower APR when you can park it in an investment that will yield higher returns, than putting it into a car which will depreciate in the long run and put you in the red.

I am just simply saying, there is a 95% chance in this case he is driving a car, which on paper he probably shouldn't be. He is the credit companies wet dream. He is not the Avg. Oakville VP pulling down $180k that doesn't know shit about cars, doesn't care about a huge motor (otherwise he would have got the 335i) and just wants to drive something new and stylish. He's a young guy probably living paycheck to paycheck and needs some pussy bait (probably doesn't have a gf), and is beating the shit out of the car.

My assumption is based on the fact that he is driving 218km/h riding the limiter probably on the qew or the 401 or 407 and is irresponsible; (and wanting to go faster). He is going to lose his license, or kill someone in only a matter of time. In this case, he was probably not the solid minded guy looking for a way to save money/invest money and thinking of his financial future.

Best case scenario, in 4 years he:

-Is alive
-Has a license
-Has some money left in his pocket
-Doesn't go over his km allowance by xx,xxx km

Last edited by e30bim; 09-19-2007 at 03:06 PM.
e30bim is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
Sorry Rodo, I'm not saying there's a chance that he cannot afford to plop down $45k cash for the car, but it's very unlikely, in fact I will put down $1000 of my own money as a bet to say that he does not have that sort of $$$ lying around, even if it is parked in mutual funds, bonds or actively in the market. I personally am saying this as a person who grew up in a house with a father who is a CA and is the CFO of a large company. I was always told the best financial advise in terms of cars, if you cannot afford to pay cash for a car you shouldn't be driving it. I am not disagreeing for one second with you in regards to interest rates, and why not borrow money at a lower APR when you can park it in an investment that will yield higher returns, than putting it into a car which will depreciate in the long run and put you in the red.

I am just simply saying, there is a 95% chance in this case he is driving a car, which on paper he probably shouldn't be. He is the credit companies wet dream. He is not the Avg. Oakville VP pulling down $180k that doesn't know shit about cars, doesn't care about a huge motor (otherwise he would have got the 335i) and just wants to drive something new and stylish. He's a young guy probably living paycheck to paycheck and needs some pussy bait (probably doesn't have a gf), and is beating the shit out of the car.

My assumption is based on the fact that he is driving 218km/h riding the limiter probably on the qew or the 401 or 407 and is irresponsible; (and wanting to go faster). He is going to lose his license, or kill someone in only a matter of time. In this case, he was probably not the solid minded guy looking for a way to save money/invest money and thinking of his financial future.

Best case scenario, in 4 years he:

-Is alive
-Has a license
-Has some money left in his pocket
-Doesn't go over his km allowance by xx,xxx km
Weren't you the guy who said anyone who doesn't buy an e30 isn't an enthusiast?
Boots R is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
propr'one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,716
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
that was some flat out, greasy corn based diahrrea bullshit there bro.

shut up. now.
__________________
d1s bulb canada

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #20
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,769
General Discussion is the new off topic. And I love it.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #21
golden
Doesn't have a car.
 
golden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
Why does he need to go more than 219km/h? I don't think that 2.8 has much more in it anyways. If it's a lease he should just leave it alone. If he can't afford to buy the car, I'm sure he can't afford not to have his license when he gets caught going that fast.
if he can't afford to buy the car? What does that have to do with a lease?

that's probably the dumbest thing i've read...

leasing, in most cases, is much smarter than buying and dropping 50k on a hugely depreciating asset.
__________________
02' 325CI
golden is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #22
golden
Doesn't have a car.
 
golden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
if he can't afford to buy the car? What does that have to do with a lease?

that's probably the dumbest thing i've read...

leasing, in most cases, is much smarter than buying and dropping 50k on a hugely depreciating asset.
ooops, didnt read your latest post.
__________________
02' 325CI
golden is offline  
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #23
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
I personally am saying this as a person who grew up in a house with a father who is a CA and is the CFO of a large company. I was always told the best financial advise in terms of cars, if you cannot afford to pay cash for a car you shouldn't be driving it.

I am just simply saying, there is a 95% chance in this case he is driving a car, which on paper he probably shouldn't be. He is the credit companies wet dream.
CFO of which company? Let's hear the name, so we can verify it.
$1000 says he doesn't come up with a name that we can verify.

You do realize, for a lot of people, a car is a tax write-off. Leasing is the only way to go; otherwise, you're leaving money on the table at tax time!!!!

If the lease interest rate is 3-4%, you are an idiot to pay cash for the $60K car. With an attitude like that, I wouldn't want your dad any where near our companies. A wise man would lease the car, and invest the $60,000 and receive far more that 3-4% interest.

I could easily make 10% return in my investments.

As long as the lease or bank rate is less than 6%, you are better off investing the money and making car payments.

.... move on man.... with comments like this for a for sale thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
If you give me $100 I will take it.
GEO Tracker FS, I don't think your opinion counts..

... CFO of which company again? Rogers, Telus, RIM?

Last edited by dtthiaga; 09-20-2007 at 12:04 AM.
dtthiaga is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #24
e30bim
Banned
 
e30bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 697
I never once said anyone who doesn't drive an e30 isn't an enthusiast??? I don't know where you got that from. Obviously the people arguing with me did not read what I said. Anyways, the point of the matter is the guy is driving 219km/h down the highway and he wants to go faster. This is not the type of person who is very responsible. Are you going to argue with me and say that there aren't people out there that lease cars because they can't otherwise afford it? I said if someone had 60k lying around that YES you can make a better ROI on your money that dumping it in a lease and seeing nothing but depreciation. I am saying in this particular ****ing circumstance this tool most likely can't afford to drive this car on paper.

One of you just said "If the lease interest rate is 3-4%, you are an idiot to pay cash for the $60K car. With an attitude like that, I wouldn't want your dad any where near our companies. A wise man would lease the car, and invest the $60,000 and receive far more that 3-4% interest."

You don't receive interest when you lease a car. You PAY that 4% to borrow it you goof.

The point of the ****ing matter is the guy shouldn't be driving ANY car if he is trying to find a way to make his car go faster than 219km/h on the road that everyone else drives on.

If this guy has a bank roll fat enough to choke a hippo he would have bought the 335i if he's such a speed demon. I think my G is safe.
e30bim is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member
 
StikiGreenZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milton, ON
Posts: 1,604
Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
^^^ Stupid comment above. You sound like you're speaking more out of jealousy than actual sensible knowledge. You have incomplete information on his financial / tax situation and should keep your uninformed comments to yourself.

Lots of people remove their limiters... Doesn't mean they use that on the street.

That pussybait comment is one of the most immature comments I have ever heard on MaxBimmer.
__________________
-

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #26
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
You don't receive interest when you lease a car. You PAY that 4% to borrow it you goof.
He said INVEST the 60 grand. Investing money means you receivee intrest on your investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
You sound like you're speaking more out of jealousy than actual sensible knowledge.
He's just mad because he can only afford an e30.
Boots R is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #27
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,194
Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Exclamation Common misconceptions...

We own both of our BMW's outright and still are able to write off the yearly depreciation and expenses, within the same limits as anyone leasing their vehicles.
I don't know why everyone assumes that only leased vehicles can be written off ?
Expecting to earn, year after year, a guaranteed 10% rate of return is plain old foolish and inexperienced talk (let's see you through a bear market). I've been averaging an amazing 18%/yr over the past 5 yrs, because it was an easy market environment (bull-market) to make money. Year to date, I'm up 17% (outperforming the TSX), but that was only achievable through alot more trading/risk taking and dedication to good stock picking (THNX ~> BBD.B & HXU). Considering the current market, I would be happy with a 7-8% return for next year and that might only be achieved with a significant short position (considering ~> HXD).
Don't forget that these returns are still taxable, though at a favourable rate.

The way I see it, leasing a car does not pay off unless you're getting one of these ultra-low under 3% lease rates. Don't forget that when leasing, one pays full sticker and the finance companies, 99% of the time, accurately calculate the depreciation into your monthly lease. Believe me, they are not in the business of loosing money and if investing was sooo easy, they would use their capital to, as you claim, "easily make 10% return" on their investments".

From my experience, one is best off looking for a good deal on a nice 3-4 yr old vehicle, which has allready incurred most of the heavy depreciation.
DINAN 3 is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #28
Wannabe
Northwood.
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,969
e30bim.. your dad just told you that so you dont go spend his money on a new car.. hense why you drive an E30... because you can buy it outright.

Leasing is a cheaper option for people why people who flip their cars every 3-4 years.. because even if you finance and dont keep it for the full term, you never really own the car anyways. Because either way whether you lease or finance and if you dont make a couple payments.. the car is Repo'd.

People who Pay cash for cars count for about 4% of total vehicle sales.
__________________
Current - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2010 Jeep Patriot North All-season
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #29
e30bim
Banned
 
e30bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 697
Ok. I'll go through this one by one:

ddthiaga - I wouldn't want you doing my taxes, I'm pretty sure you're like Kramer and don't even know what a write off is. I would like you to define it without googling it you knob. Just because you can write something off does not mean it is the wisest financial move for a person. You still have to earn the money (which is already post tax money) and all that a tax write off is, is money a person spends which is no longer declared as taxable income. So if you were able to flush money down the toilet and write it off, I'm sure as someone as dumb as you sound would. This is a direct quote from what you said:

"You do realize, for a lot of people, a car is a tax write-off. Leasing is the only way to go; otherwise, you're leaving money on the table at tax time!!!!

If the lease interest rate is 3-4%, you are an idiot to pay cash for the $60K car. With an attitude like that, I wouldn't want your dad any where near our companies. A wise man would lease the car, and invest the $60,000 and receive far more that 3-4% interest. "

You seem to think when you lease a car you receive interest. Case and point you have about as much between your ears as OJ Simpson has in the bank.

Stikigreez - Go smoke another joint and read what this post began with.

Boots - Yeah you post alot and have a bigger mouth than you do a brain, a) because my name is "e30bim" doesn't mean that's all I drive. I have an e30 as a summer weekend car, my daily driver is an e36 328is that is fully paid for. It's strange that you think someone that can "only afford to drive an e30" is lower than you. I think you just offended half the board. If you had a brain, you would see that there are alot of e30's out there that are worth alot more than your car, not that it matters at all. You just wanted to chirp and be heard. Congrats on contributing about as much to the air as a hangover fart.

Dinan3- A guy that sounds like he actually is in touch with reality and has his shit together. Take a lesson from this guy.

Wannabe- You sound about as smart as an in shower toaster. Here is your genious quote: "Leasing is a cheaper option for people why people who flip their cars every 3-4 years.. because even if you finance and dont keep it for the full term, you never really own the car anyways. Because either way whether you lease or finance and if you dont make a couple payments.. the car is Repo'd. People who Pay cash for cars count for about 4% of total vehicle sales."

Firstly, it sounds like you don't know the difference between leasing and financing. So instead of talking you should have been reading. Secondly, somehow the topic came to be having $60k cash lying around and deciding whether to purchase outright or lease. Someone that has $60k lying around looking for a better ROI is not missing lease payments and dealing with the Repo man. Lastly, please footnote where you pulled that "People who Pay cash for cars count for about 4% of total vehicle sales" statistic. You and Stickygreenz should meet up and blow eachother supers and fry some more brain cells. : P

I'm not better than anyone on here, I'm a down to earth guy and if I have something to say I'm going to say it, just like most people on here do. All I heard is some guy talking about a nice car which he drives 218km/h on the ****ing road, and wants to take the top speed governor off, without one mention of doing it for more hp or torque, but to go faster on the ****ing street.

Last edited by e30bim; 09-20-2007 at 03:55 PM.
e30bim is offline  
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #30
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,769
Dude, he NEVER said that he receives interest while leasing. He said that he can reinvest the money ELSEWHERE.


BTW, leasing is what you do when you actually have money. Don't give a **** about the depreciation, just pick what you like, and drive something new every 3 years.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.