Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Key thing you want to watch for is the color matching. Make sure you look at the car in sunlight when the whole car is CLEAN to make sure they matched the color; if it's metallic, it's even harder to match dead-on.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
VSanj
6th Gear Member

if its a new door than theres no issues with body work, i would watch for fitment and door color..........since the door will have brand new paint it is gonna be a biatch to color match it.

Nice to hear that the caddy owner stuck around.........judging by the straight gash on the door he got you with his rear tailight area..........damn cadillac and there diamond cut design....lol
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
///M3 ZCP
///M Power

First of all, i give props to the guy who banged your door because he was nice to stick around and let YOU choose a bodyshop of your choice.

Most ppl out there who hit you will argue with you for hours "oh that's just some small damage, my friend's bodyshop can fix that, bla bla bla bla...". Like stfu, if you hit someone you have no right to choose the shop unless the guy that you hit agrees with you. And then they always beg to settle it privately but they don't agree to your bodyshop estimate, so in the end it was time wasted and both parties go through insurance.
///M3 ZCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #19
Arash
6th Gear Member

$2450 for that damage? are you ****ing insane? why change the whole ****ing door for that? I mean, it was so nice of the guy to wait around for you to come, thats showing ethics on his side, least you can do is get 3 quotes and let him choose which shop.

what if he just drove off, which 90% of ppl would've done, what were you gonna do now? think think
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
I'd rather get a shop of my choice to fix it than a dealership.

Dealership body work sucks 80% of the time... very few dealership body shops do work as good as the independants.
majority of dealership bodyshops are independent bodyshop, I worked at a independent bodyshop & half of the cars we repaired came from dealerships, the only company that I know that uses their own bodyshop is Mercedes-Benz, pretty much all the others use independents bodyshops.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
majority of dealership bodyshops are independent bodyshop, I worked at a independent bodyshop & half of the cars we repaired came from dealerships, the only company that I know that uses their own bodyshop is Mercedes-Benz, pretty much all the others use independents bodyshops.
I work for Dean Myers Chevrolet Corvette.... we have our own body shop... lots of GM dealers have'em.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
that's great, but like I said majority of them don't, most imports don't have their own bodyshops, & most european dealers don't have their own bodyshop except for Benz, the bodyshop I worked in Thornhill repaired cars for Toyota, Honda & BMW, like others mentioned European Autobody repairs cars for Ferrari, BMW etc.

I was commenting on what you said here"

"Dealership body work sucks 80% of the time... very few dealership body shops do work as good as the independants."

you can't just say independent bodyshops are better when dealers uses the same independent bodyshop.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #23
stiffy
You puked ON Dean Wormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSanj View Post
if its a new door than theres no issues with body work, i would watch for fitment and door color..........since the door will have brand new paint it is gonna be a biatch to color match it.

Nice to hear that the caddy owner stuck around.........judging by the straight gash on the door he got you with his rear tailight area..........damn cadillac and there diamond cut design....lol
The colour is non-metallic black so the match should be reasonably close. I'm being told that it will be shinier to start, but after a couple of washes, and a polish, should be difficult to tell the diff.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
stiffy
You puked ON Dean Wormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
$2450 for that damage? are you ****ing insane? why change the whole ****ing door for that? I mean, it was so nice of the guy to wait around for you to come, thats showing ethics on his side, least you can do is get 3 quotes and let him choose which shop.

what if he just drove off, which 90% of ppl would've done, what were you gonna do now? think think
Why change to whole door? Because I'm not going to let someone try to bang out the damage and end up with something wrong. If this was a 1993 Buick it's different story. If the door skin only was available, then I'd replace only the skin but that wasn't an option. While he certainly deserves props for sticking around, he also had the option of putting this through insurance, and he chose to pay for it himself. Remember, his car hit my car.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #25
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3 ZCP View Post
First of all, i give props to the guy who banged your door because he was nice to stick around and let YOU choose a bodyshop of your choice.

Most ppl out there who hit you will argue with you for hours "oh that's just some small damage, my friend's bodyshop can fix that, bla bla bla bla...". Like stfu, if you hit someone you have no right to choose the shop unless the guy that you hit agrees with you. And then they always beg to settle it privately but they don't agree to your bodyshop estimate, so in the end it was time wasted and both parties go through insurance.

It's not unreasonable for the other party ask that you bring it to another shop, of your choice, for a second opinion. For all he knows, you also might have brought it to a "friend".
Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #26
///M3 ZCP
///M Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact View Post
It's not unreasonable for the other party ask that you bring it to another shop, of your choice, for a second opinion. For all he knows, you also might have brought it to a "friend".
There's nothing wrong with getting a few estimates to compare, that's ok with me. I know a few reputable shops (other than dealerships) that do quality work for insurance so I have no problem going to them for an estimate as well. But when the guy starts arguing how "oh a little buff job will do" or "that's a small fix under $100", then that gets annoying. Everything costs time and money. The reason why i would choose a dealership is because they don't favor any side and at least I won't be leaving my car at some unknown shop who could do some illegal stuff. I'll agree that dealerships charge an arm+leg, but what can you do? The moment you choose a bodyshop other than a dealership, then they'll be accusing you of trying to scam them.
///M3 ZCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #27
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

It is your right to have the car fixed where you want. And, I would certainly not leave the car with the shop the guy recommends, because it could be “his friend”.

However, out of courtesy, I would have gotten 3 different quotes for bodyshop of “my” choice.

The funny thing is, he could have gone through insurance, and you would be worse off. Parking lots accidents are most often considered 50/50 at fault.

I’ve seen it happen. Guys hits a car, is nice enough to give his info. The car that was hit gets three quotes of $900, $1500, $2000.

Person goes with $2000 dealer quote, and the guys who hit the car says forget it, go through insurance and walks away.

You are lucky he's paying this out of pocket!!!
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
stiffy
You puked ON Dean Wormer

I spoke with an insurance agent who explained that the guy who hit my car (I was not in it at the time, and it was parked properly in a spot btw) would supply me his insurance info, which I would supply to my insurance co. My insurance would deal with his insurance, I would not have to pay a deductible, off we go. I suggested to the guy that was an option, he said no, he'd rather pay me directly. I didn't ask why, but can only assume he must already have insurance coverage/cost issues.

I'm certainly in favour of saving him money, if possible, but my first interest is getting my car fixed properly.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #29
rodo
6th Gear Member

Budds collision FTW

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #30
Arash
6th Gear Member

I don't know, it just appears to me that the body shop is taking advantage of the situation here. If you went through insurance I doubt the body shop would get that much money for that little damage, only the skin is damaged, so only the skin needs to be changed not the whole door. If the guy wants to be an asshole and go through insurance you'll be in trouble, because it will show as 50/50 fault on your insurance record. anyways goodluck.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: