Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
mint
1st Gear Newbie

Time for New Spark Plugs??

Hey there folks whats going on! Okay I have put on like 60 k on my car since i got it and not sure when last time the previous owner had changed them. So Im thinking im due for a spark plug change. Now what kind do you folks have in there or are they all the same?? Shall I just go to the dealer and ask for 6 plugs or shall i look around for others?? Price isnt really an option just wondering if performance would differ at all. BTW my car seems to be running Mint right now but i think i should still change them soon. Any light on this would be a great assistance to me.

Cheers
mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

id put NGK oem fit plugs. I think the laser cut series. (laser platinum).
I have read on many different cars putting plugs from the barebone crappy one vs the iridium ones... Different thoughts but what i got out of it was basically stick to OEM style ones and you are set.

Its true the different type of plugs give different type of spark... maybe someone here will chime in on whether they have tried different plugs and thier opinions on them.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
LADY_SAUBER
ENTHUSIAST IN TRAINING :)

it's not that different plugs give a different spark... electrostatic discharge is found in only one form.

the main differences between spark plugs is that they either possess better igniton or longer life. for example plugs with 4 electrodes provide efficiency, and plugs with platinum tips provide longer life.

with your car as a daily driver, you're not going to notice any difference in performance, so OEM is fine.
LADY_SAUBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

different plugs when they give the spark... the explosion is shaped differently... single ended vs dual vs tipped vs...
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Vicman17
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post
I have put on like 60 k on my car since i got it and not sure when last time the previous owner had changed them.

Shall I just go to the dealer and ask for 6 plugs or shall i look around for others??
If you feel some sluggishness going uphill or when passing the plugs MAY be fouled and needs replacing. If you did not have any idea when the plugs were installed then I'd do them right away.

You can go to the dealer or you can also do it yourself. Changing oil and spark plugs on a BMW is sometimes easier to do than any domestic cars. Later BMWs have coil over plugs which means an individual coil on top of every spark plug. Plugs are most likely Platinum-tipped and could be Bosch Platinum+4 or NGK. Plugs can be purchased from Canadian Tire, PartSource or an auto supply chain and not a dealer only product although you can call the dealer to make sure of the part number.
BMW AG Sport Package
Vicman17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: