Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Swerve
///Maquina

should i buy a laptop in the US while on my roadtrip?

going on a 12 day roadtrip down to california and back. thinking of buying a basic laptop (<$800) at best buy while in oregon (no tax) and bringing it back. do you think the border will have issue with this and if they ask me to pay tax how much will they charge do you think?

according to this, http://www.traveldocs.com/ca/customs.htm, i should be good up to $750 CAD...

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart

Last edited by Swerve; 08-18-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

I dun think they would know if it's a new laptop. Just throw away all the boxes, and save the receipt in your wallet. The only think you should worry about is the warranty/extended warranty, it'd be hard for u if something goes wrong with the comp once uve reached canada. Its still cheaper to get it in the states tho.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Swerve
///Maquina

^^thx. i guess i'll just open it up while at the store and make sure it works. if anythings outta whack i'll know pretty quick. if somethings wrong, then bestbuy in washington should still be able to address an issue of a laptop bought in oregon, hopefully i'm not that unlucky.

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Old 08-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve
^^thx. i guess i'll just open it up while at the store and make sure it works. if anythings outta whack i'll know pretty quick. if somethings wrong, then bestbuy in washington should still be able to address an issue of a laptop bought in oregon, hopefully i'm not that unlucky.

If you have a problem with the laptop you will have to ship it back to the USA for warranty, this is where all of the fun starts, especially when you threw the box away.

CC can request for you to turn on the notebook, I know they done this to me a few times. When they turn it on they will know everything. Not only that they can do a SN# search it will tell them which Best Buy had the unit and when it was sold.

My suggestion is don't play games at the border.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
e30bim
Banned

It's a f'ing laptop. Don't declare it. It won't break and if it does Fedex the thing back for God's sake. Canadian Customs doesn't give a shit about anything except, Firearms, Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs. Just declare a couple hundred bucks worth of shit and buy yourself your two cases of beer you're allowed duty free (declare it) they will know you're not hiding anything. Just relax and stop being such a pussy!
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Just throwing this in: My father used to cross the border monthly when he was in IT, and more than once they made him power up his laptop and looked through it.

Jay

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
stiffy
You puked ON Dean Wormer

I travel across the border 15 times a year for business and 3-4 times for pleasure. My laptops are supplied by my US-based employer. They buy them and I bring them back with me in my briefcase. In years of doing this, never once has anyone said anything. My suggestion is to take an old briefcase or knapsack so it looks like it's been used and put it in there.

As for warranties, mine's a Dell, so others could be different, but Dell Canada honours the warranty up here no probs.

Go for it, don't sweat it.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Swerve
///Maquina

bought an HP at bestbuy in Portland and brought it back with no issues. i'm allowed up to $750 worth of stuff anyways which is what it's worth.

e30bim: i'm not a pussy, just don't want to pay duty/tax thus defeating the point of buying it down south.

btw, 0% tax in Oregon, and good outlet shopping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: