Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

sub box?

how do i make one of these contraptions and what tools do i need. stupid me buys a sub but no box even though the box was only 50 bucks. anyway help would be greatly appreciated
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
M-ATTACK
Vroom vroom

you need wood hahah
M-ATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

hahahahahahahahaha very funny i'm talking what tools
Old 01-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
325Ryan
3rd Gear Member

well you need a saw, glue, screws, drill.

but dont do it. buy a real box. home made boxes... unless you are really good... sound like crap and your sub will have no bass at all. repeat no bass. You can get a box for like 50 bones anyways.

Speaker boxes are built to exact dimentions that work to bounce the sound waves created by the speaker creating more bass. Unless you know these dimentions and have the skills to build a box to these dimentions, it will be a waste of time and money and look ugly
Old 01-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

how bout one that made of only plexiglass
Old 01-06-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
BeemerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

no no plexiglas, Wood is the only way to go but dont do it yourself unless u know what you are doing, the dimensions of the box to the sub greatly affect the sound.You have to use MDA wood and u will need a jigsaw and skill saw and screws and glue and carpet for the outside.
BeemerBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
I made a subbox for one of my friends. It was a really wide and low profile box to fit between the rear strut towers of a Rabbit. The box was sealed and for a 12" Kicker Solobaric, man did it sound awesome. The inside of the box was like 0.9 cu-ft (without the speaker). We were going for sound quality over high db numbers.

I used 3/4 MDF (home depot, like $30some for a 8x4' sheet), lots of wood screws (actually I used 6x2 drywall screws), wood glue, RTV sealant/caulking (to really seal the box if nessecary), and some non-sponge pillow stuffing (depending on the application).

For tools, a jigsaw (get extra wood blades, they'll heat up and break if you're not careful), a cirular saw/table saw, a screw driver/drill with screw bit, big clamps (like a few depending on the size of the box), and a decent filter mask (MDF powder is a carcinogen when inhaled), do all the cutting in a well ventilated area.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 01-06-2003 at 11:31 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:25 PM   #8
Alwysfresh

I would have to agree with the guys...way more trouble than it's worth building your own. By the time you're done, you won't have saved much than if you bought one. It's really tough to make one that sounds good unless you have experience. If you're looking to do it just for fun though, that's another story...run internet searches for specs on boxes for your sub and car. I'm sure you'll find diagrams and instructions.
Alwysfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:29 PM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
The only real advantage (aside from it being cheaper if you know what you're doing) is that you can pretty much choose the dimentions of the box, so if space is tight, DIY may be an option.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:47 PM   #10
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
http://www.installer.com/tech/index.html

maybe this page will help you

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #11
Foc us
4th Gear Member

Don't forget, if you need a sealed box and the one you built leaks air then it's a waste of time. Plus, without the correct dimension of the port for a ported box and size it'll still sound like crap, why waste time if you can solve it with only 50 bucks?
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: