Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Fel
Not Banned

In need of clutch knowledge..!

So the clutch is starting to slip.... hooray.

But seriously... it's an e34, a 525. The clutch will have to be done in the short term, I can feel it starting to go under hard acceleration and the ol' 5th gear trick. I've been calling various garages, narrowing down my choices. Anyone know where I can get good work for a good deal?

Dealer quoted me 1140, labor and taxes, for replacement of the clutch. Flywheel was not part of the deal, obviously. They sell them for 1300-1400 bucks. Yeah, thanks. So I called a few places... they ranged from 950 down to about 680, parts and labour (Sachs 3 piece kit). Funny enough, one shop people rave about here (RMP) was at the low end, so I'm considering going there.

Is the price on par? what are people's experiences?

On another note, the flywheel was an interesting bit.... like I said, huge price at the dealer for a stock one. Now, online I've found ones for about the same price or a little cheaper. Then the same site lists an M5 one for roughly 600 bucks. I can also get a st-2 from UUC for roughly the same. If the flywheel needs to be replaced (hope it's machinable....) then am I safe going with one of these two options? I've heard of people using M5 ones, do they fit? And do they require anything like special bolts?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

First of all you are more then 99.9% sure not in need of a NEW flyweel! They get machined, for about $75 and come as new! So unless you have huge heat cracks, that can not be machined, you dont need a new one!

I would go to Bimmersport for the job, dont want to give you a price, but it should be on the low end ($6-700 i assume) for a pro job!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
call Mark at Mississauga Automatic Transmission, Charlie sends cars to him occassionally...

He's the owner of the place, used to work downtown for 15 years at Toronto Auotmatic Transmission, one of the most reputable shops for BMWs, Porsches, etc....has his own place now and he'll help you out...

905-696-8330
1031 Meyerside Dr. Unit #3 Mississauga.

Tell him Senad sent you...see what he says, calls are free!
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: