Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Pearl Paint

Hey guys,

Does anyone here have any experience with pearl paint. I want to fix some rock chips but dont want to make the paint look gross. If I were to wetsand the area around and includeing the chip then tape it off, paint clear wetsand, clear again, should that blend in ok? I have also heard that Pearl paint actually is a 3 step job, so its base, pear and clear. is that true? can I still follow the format that I stated above?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Good luck.
Boots R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

^^^^Thanks It can't be that bad. just more time consuming I imagine. Hopefully GM would have the touch up paint for my colour. diamond white pearl.

The 325 paint was much easier to deal with. Too bad I like the look of the Pearl..

Kev your paint is three stage too right? have you done any touch up on it?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Boots R
Boots, not boost

You are right, the pearl is 3 stage. Base, Pearl, and clear.

I don't know how many stages my paint is, but it would be a bitch to touch up. I had a bottle of touch up paint, but it didn't work at all, so i threw it out.

Oh, and bring that bitch out tomorrow. I want to see it change colours.
Boots R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

She will be out man, gotta rep the multicolour side of the E36s'.

Trippy paint FTW!!!

Touch up paint did not work at all? Did you take the cap off first?

You can always try to buff away the bad spots, it helps if you use an asian child and Gizmo.

Be warned though, I used them once and ended up with a rickshaw and a hairball. Still have to work on the proper procedure but im sure we can make somthing work for you buddy!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
redrum
1st Gear Newbie

be careful with the 3stage pearl paint jobs.. all manufactures do it differently..

Acura on the NSX for example has a base. 2 coats of pearl and the clear coat is tinted.. Which means no matter how lightly you water sand and polish the area you sand gets lighter cause you're actually removing the color used to tint the clear coat.

GM on their Caddillac STS's uses the same method...

to confirm if your clear coat is tinted or just clear, water sand a really small hidden area very carefully first.

What colour is your car BTW?
redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
If you have the exact paint code a good body shop should be able to make it look like it was never painted. I have pearl in my paint and in my clear and unfortunetly the pervious owner didn't have the the paint code. The shop I go to got it to match so well that it is almost unnoticable.

The shop is called Floriday Garage they are located at Dufferin St and Wilson Ave. If you want to give them a call ask for Joe tell him that Lindsay sent you with the black BMW. 416-636-0901
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
BLACKKNIGHT
2nd Gear Member

Pearl paints are the hardest colour matches, Pearls are all 3 stage finishes. first is the ground coat(base) then your pearl and finally your clear. Usually you put 2 coats of each, but then again it depends on the paint manufacturer. There are at least 15 paint companies that I can think of off the top of my head, and can almost guarantee you that none of them will be the same.Also each paint code usually has many varients of colour,so the possibilities are endless. To anwer your question, It is very difficult to "touch up a small spot and make it look good, especially with a pearl colour. You will have to blend into a larger area. if there is a small scratch in the center of your door, You would have to probably paint the whole door to make it look good. hope that helps.
BLACKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Yea there are now a few more spots. Don't really have the $$$ right now to do a really cherry job but Im willing to spend less money if I can do it myself. and I will be contacting a paint shop in the spring when I am out of school, for good, and working full time, also possibly for good. The paint code is 98U it is Diamond pearl white (GM). And it was painted over a black car. done well but paint chips show the black.

Thanks for all the advice so far people!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
redrum
1st Gear Newbie

I know that colour, its a real bitch to work on but looks HOT when done correctly.

My suggestion is leave it alone till you re-do it properly. the top layer of paint gets softer with addition coats of paint and tend to chip easier. If you fix those spots right now and repaint the car again next summer, the New paint will be more prone to chipping unless done properly..

I would really suggest when repainting the car have the front bumper and hood stripped down to bare metal and plastic, a good coat of self-etching primer then a really really good paint job. Have the hood water sanded and polished after the paint is cured.

cause your paint is white you could put that GM color touch up paint on the chip for 5seconds, and wipe it off lightly. wait till it cures and do it again. put a little paint on the chip, wait 5-10seconds and wipe it off.. NOT to hard that you remove everything but just enough to remove the extra paint and clean up the area around the chip.

Hell even if you just leave the blob of white touch up paint over the chip you wont notice it as much as the black because its white and blends in well.
redrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: