Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
LVP
2nd Gear Member

oil pressure numbers

Hi,

Have any of you installed an oil pressure gauge? I have a 1998 328i and was getting a flickering oil pressure light at idle. I just installed a pressure and temperature gauge and was wondering if someone with a healthy oil system and a gauge could post their typical oil pressure numbers for me. I'd like to know:

pressure @ idle at startup
pressure @ idle after 10 min
pressure @ idle after 20 minutes
typical running pressure when warm

Thanks.
LVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

last time i had one, it was in my S/C'ed e36, at idle i had around 20, after some warmup it ran anwhere between 40-60, hard driving usually around 55-60
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

On track, it's anywhere between 40 and 60. Cold idle is around 50, and hot idle is around 15, or as low as 10 sometimes.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
LVP
2nd Gear Member

My numbers

At steady driving on the highway (about 4500rpm - non-stock diff). It holds steady at 45psi. When I brake agressively the pressure drops, but if I get back on the gas hard it comes back up with a fractional second lag before the response to throttle. If I let it go to idle it has pressure less than 7psi (idiot light on), but barely above zero.

Thoughts? I have the Turner baffles installed in the pan. The fact that I can build pressure pretty instant with throttle indicates to me there is enough oil present to pick up (i.e. baffles are working). That being said, when I ran at the track with r-comps I would get pressure loss in the corners. Extending on what I see on highway driving, I would guess the hard brakng before the corners dropped the pressure low enough that it was hard to build enough pressure before entry.

Any insight as to what happens to your oil pressure under braking?

I'm running 5W40 LubroMoly. The temp is <=200 degrees taken at the oil pressure idiot light area.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Something is definitely not right ... You should never ben that low, and even under braking and hard corners my alarm never goes off (set at 15psi). Maybe your oil pickup tube is bent, and not reaching the oil? Or maybe the pump is just going bad. I'm not sure how you can diagnose without pulling the pan though. Maybe a stupid question, but you DID check your oil level, right?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
LVP
2nd Gear Member

update

Yeah, I did check the oil - many times. It's a little over full.

I just had the whole bottom end apart to do the baffled pan and oil nut fix. Since then I also changed the grade of oil to see if that affected it.

I'm guessing pump issues, because it isn't only on turns or braking - it doesn't go away at idle either.

I'll get it all off again check the tubing, pump and baffles and post an update if I find something. I've seen posts of new pumps fixing this issue.

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: