Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
archrival
E36 Addict

anyone used a piggyback tuner

Interested in hearing if anyone on here has used a piggyback tuner on a 2.8.
I've found a Perfect Power smt6 tuner that allows you to go in with a laptop and minipulate the stock ecu...just wondering if im actually going to get anything beneficial out of this...right now i have a cosmos, exhaust and im getting an m50 intake, also wanting cams in the future...is this worth $300? it comes with software but I am still going to need to take it somewhere that can tune it.
edit also wanting some pulleys and ltw flywheel...not that a tune would change

Input on this please
thanks

Last edited by archrival; 07-26-2007 at 08:28 PM.
archrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

I wouldn't waste my money on it. You would have a veeeery hard time trying to get any good tune out of that. For that money, you would be much better off going to MarkD and having him tune your ecu, he will actually give you some gains, that smt6 will more than likely just give you some headaches.

If your gonna get cams, just wait till you get the cams and get the cam software, you'll be very pleased with the results. My 328 with m3 cams, m50 manifold, intake, U/D pullies put down 208whp (if I'm not mistaken) when I get home I will try and find the dyno sheet again. Thinair can also testify, he dynoed his 328 with similar #'s

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
archrival
E36 Addict

how much did you end up paying for cams?
archrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Furious
BMW again.

talk to Proprone hes done some investigating into this and i think might have a piggyback system for sale
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
piran21
2nd Gear Member

you mean like a SAFC-II?

GTADeal.ca
your one stop for group deals of the day
piran21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

uhmm go read BFC's Forced induction section..lots of smt6 on there.

I wouldn't go piggyback/standalone on just an intake & cams..
add some bigger injectors too, maybe alter compression h/g

make it far from stock & management is worth it/required.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
The problem with piggyback systems is that you can only manipulate variables to the stock range. For instance, if the stock ecu will deliver .001 to 18 lb/hr of fuel per injector, you could get the SAFC-2 or the SMT6 to deliver 20% more fuel than it would normally

(aka at 80% throttle you deliver 16lb/hr of fuel, with the SAFC-2 you can deliver 17.6 lb/hr of fuel, but never over 18).

The numbers in this example are made up. Mark/jimC/nickG/etc can change the range in the ECU, allowing you to deliver 21lb/hr of fuel (where my injectors would max out)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
The problem with piggyback systems is that you can only manipulate variables to the stock range. For instance, if the stock ecu will deliver .001 to 18 lb/hr of fuel per injector, you could get the SAFC-2 or the SMT6 to deliver 20% more fuel than it would normally

(aka at 80% throttle you deliver 16lb/hr of fuel, with the SAFC-2 you can deliver 17.6 lb/hr of fuel, but never over 18).

The numbers in this example are made up. Mark/jimC/nickG/etc can change the range in the ECU, allowing you to deliver 21lb/hr of fuel (where my injectors would max out)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: