Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Cabby Project: plastic bumper conversion + Eurostyle MtechII.. DONE!

After having the parts sitting in my shop for over a year, I finally finished the plastic bumper conversion and installation of Eurostyle's MtechII goodies and Infinity lip. It was no small feat on a cabby, which has larger rockers, and no rear apron to attach the mtech apron to.

For those with an early model doing a plastic bumper conversion, the rear apron has to be attached to the bumper. I had to do some fabrication to make it work, which included trimming the top lip of apron to make it fit flat with the bottom of the bumper, screwing the two together from the inside, making brackets at the ends to stop lateral movement, and fibreglassing the two parts together on the inside. It was a pain in the ass but it came out "ok".

This was my first time ever doing any fabrication or painting... I should have blocked the apron when I prepped it for paint as you can see some undulation in it if you look carefully. Fil's product is very good so there isn't any obvious issue, just poor prep on my part. The car will be painted later this year so this is a temporary measure; it will be tidied up when it gets resprayed.

There's lots of details yet to finish and I know it's far from perfect, but I like it. Next up is the M30 swap...

Mods so far:

- 5 speed conversion
- H&R / Bilstein suspension
- z3 SSk
- E46 M3 RSM
- Personalized gauge faces
- Infinity Components, alpine head, 10" Sub
- 4300k HID conversion
- 17" Wheels w/215-40-17 tires
- Deleted side markers
- Smoked front indicators
- Plastic bumper conversion
- Eurostyle mtechII rear apron
- Eurostyle mtechII side skirts
- Eurostyle infinity lip

BEFORE

AFTER

Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com

Last edited by talltorontoguy; 07-25-2007 at 02:51 AM.
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Luke318is
BMW Fanatic

Nice cab man.
1990 ///325i -Imported Mtech2 model, purchased May 28
Luke318is is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
jeremy
6th Gear Member

just get some different rims, lower it, exhaust and you're laughing! ...i think zimmie has some bbs rs replica wheels for sale..
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
jeremy
6th Gear Member

ps...what's written on the gauge faces?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Car is already lowered... I could slam it, but would make it unrealistic as a driver. May remove the spring pads on front end to get a happy medium.

Rims are something I'm considering upgrading, but for the moment happy with what I have - they're different.

Exhaust - needs mods but doing an M30 swap in near future so holding off on any investment there as it will be replaced at that time.

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
86coupe30
1990 325is

Send a message via MSN to 86coupe30
nice looking car man good job on the swap.. i really wanna do this to my 86 but im not sure if i can find valences for a decent price
86coupe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Loozen_it
1st Gear Newbie

Very nice talltorontoguy!!! Nice work.. looks awesome. I was wanting to see an e30 finished and fitted with eurostyle's kit. Looks like a good quality product that eurostyle offers.
May I ask how much the plastic conversion cost you all up?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Awsome work on the rear valence man. Best mounting of that rear valence i've seen.

You don't happen to have any pics of the inside to show how you attached the two?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

No sorry, no pictures of the inside of the apron.

Basically trimmed the upper edge of apron back so that it sits just outside the lip on the inside edge of the rear bumper, then drilled and screwed the two together with self tapping screws along the long side of the bumper. For the sides that wrap around the quarter panels, I clamped the two pieces together and fiberglassed them. I also made a metal bracket that holds the two together to reinforce the fibreglass.

Obviously all of this has to be done off the car.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
Willy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltorontoguy
No sorry, no pictures of the inside of the apron.

Basically trimmed the upper edge of apron back so that it sits just outside the lip on the inside edge of the rear bumper, then drilled and screwed the two together with self tapping screws along the long side of the bumper. For the sides that wrap around the quarter panels, I clamped the two pieces together and fiberglassed them. I also made a metal bracket that holds the two together to reinforce the fibreglass.

Obviously all of this has to be done off the car.

hey talltorontoguy

did you do the work yourself or was it done at a shop? if at a shop how much if you don't mind me asking and if you did it yourself do you anna do mine.

good looking job btw.

W
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
dazzkid88
1st Gear Newbie

Wow holy sheit... I guess theres hope for my sorry ass bumper after all!

Good question: how much did it spring you? Hopefully its a shop that did it for you that I could also visit...

The Ultimate Toplesss Driving Machine ...
dazzkid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Looks great bro, You know I have near to sexual feelings for AW E30's

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
dazzkid88
1st Gear Newbie

I notcied that you have the windows tinted. What did you do to the rear plastic one? I was contemplating tinting my windows too but I thought it'd look stupid with an ugly greenish rear window.

The Ultimate Toplesss Driving Machine ...
dazzkid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Looks HOT! The only thing i would absolutly change is the black trim over the skirt (or paint it) becaus it does not match with anything, and it looks like you have 2 sets of door moldings!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
talltorontoguy
Go Topless

Thanks guys... means a lot. This car has been a work in progress for 2 years. You wouldn't believe how much effort has gone into it so far.

RE: who did it and how much?

While I can afford to pay someone to do the work, I have purposely tried to do the majority of the work on my own with the help of my long time girlfriend, who (luckily for me) likes to work on my E34 and E30 with me. That way I get the satisfaction of saying "I did that".

This was my first time doing any painting or fabrication like that. I actually built a homemade "poor man's" downdraft spray booth for this project inside my garage. Made of heavy plastic (wrapped the whole room), 2 box fans, a lot of furnace filters, and florescent lights from the surplus store. Then had the paint mixed and sprayed it myself with an HVLP spray gun. Wet sanded 1000/1200/1500, then heavy cut polish, then polish, then swirl remover, etc.

Re: how long?

The preparation of the bumpers and Eurostyle parts took me about a week of nights. (fill, sand, prime, repeat, etc). There was some trial and error, and a few disasters with learning to spray which required resanding etc.

The preparation of the car, removal of bumpers, and original front valence, slotting the rear bumper shock mounting holes took most of a Saturday.

The fabrication /grafting of the rear valence onto the bumper took a full night (not including prep and paint).

The installation of the front valence, front bumper, lip, lights, moldings, plates, side skirts, rear apron and some touch up painting took us 1.5 days spread over 3 evenings working methodically (we hadn't ever done something like that before)

Re: the black molding...

I hear you Fil. I get good comments, bad comments. I'm on the fence with it. The car needs contrast that's why I left the bumper moldings and side molding black.... maybe someone can photoshop the lower molding white for me to see what it looks like?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: