Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Turbo E30 M20?

Now i've been contemplating the idea of eventually going turbo on the 325e.

Questions

Without touching the internals, what PSI can you safely run on 91 octane with a garrett t3 .48ar, front mount IC, 666 fabrications turbo adaptor?

What is the weakpoint in the e30 drivetrain?

Is a fuel controller necessary for low boost applications or can you use a aftermarket chip?

Will the m20 injectors fuel enough for low boost or will a upgrade to m50 (if possible) necessary.

Google apparently isn't my friend.

Thanks
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

one thing not 100% sure but is there a huge point to turbo a E?? i would super charge a E and turbo a I or IS high revs your boost is gonna be kickin in a 1000-2000 rpm it's up to you gonna have quick gear changes
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

injectors and some type of engine management (standalone, chip) are almost a must. i would guess around 8-10psi on stock internals would be safe. some have run 15+, but i dont think reliability was a goal.

i really dont know what the weakpoint is. halfshafts, maybe? haha

edit: turboing an e is not necessarily a bad idea, you start with a lower compression to begin with, so you can run more boost without detonation.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Well I was looking to get the best bang for buck, I have basically everything buy a manifold and misc IC tubing.
02 325i Sedan
Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

turbo e's are pretty popular; their low compression fits well with a turbo. Plus, you can swap an 'i' head onto it later for better flow and even lower compression.

markD makes a chip for an 'i' for turbo, maybe he has one for an 'e' too. Otherwise, you could use a RRFPR for added fuel. Some people tap into the cold start injector for extra fuel on demand, but that's pretty ghetto.

I would also include a wideband O2 sensor. Innovate make one for about $200CND that you can hook to a gauge or a laptop to see your air fuel mixture. If you can get the mixture right, your engine will be safe. If its wrong, the engine will not last long.

I would aim for 5psi a first as a test, then work on a better fuel solution (standalone, or chip) and go to 8psi.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast
turbo e's are pretty popular; their low compression fits well with a turbo. Plus, you can swap an 'i' head onto it later for better flow and even lower compression.

markD makes a chip for an 'i' for turbo, maybe he has one for an 'e' too. Otherwise, you could use a RRFPR for added fuel. Some people tap into the cold start injector for extra fuel on demand, but that's pretty ghetto.

I would also include a wideband O2 sensor. Innovate make one for about $200CND that you can hook to a gauge or a laptop to see your air fuel mixture. If you can get the mixture right, your engine will be safe. If its wrong, the engine will not last long.

I would aim for 5psi a first as a test, then work on a better fuel solution (standalone, or chip) and go to 8psi.
My brother has a Zenitronix wideband setup in the garage. Seems pretty simple, nothing out of the ordinary for turboing a car lol.
02 325i Sedan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: