Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
R.S.C
Imaginary Player

Engine Failing To Start

The car been running good for sometime now so this came outta nowhere.

About 3 week ago I started my car drive across the street to the bank and the car just shut down while Idling. No light dimming, just the rpm's dropped and the engine shut off. All the light were bright so I don't think it was the battery. Tried jump starting it, that failed. Tried Quick Start and that failed. It would crank fine it all cases but just wouldn't turn over.

Both the Alternator and the Starter have been replaced this year.

I pushed the car back across the street to my building and it sat there for about 1.5 weeks before I tried to start it again. When I did, the engine managed to turn over and was going for about 10 seconds before it died and wouldn't start again.

Someone told me it might be the DME that failed, so I took it out and disassembled it to look at the components. Everything looked fine and I put it back into the car about a week later. The car started fine and I was able to drive around for 2 days, until it died down the street again I let it sit for about 2 hours then came back and it started and I drove home where it died and has been sitting for a few days.

Again the engine cranks fine but sometimes i hear a whiny noise coming from the drivers side below my feet.

I'm not against taking it to a RMP, but I'd like to see if I can fix this myself.

Anyone experienced this before and know the possible causes?

Thanks for reading
Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
mirek
6th Gear Member

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check if you're getting pressure. My guess is a bad fuel pump.
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
crank position sensor? Any check engine lights? Have someone with a code reader pull the codes for you... not all codes will illuminate the light.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
R.S.C
Imaginary Player

Where would I be able to get a fuel pressure gauge or is that something I would have to take it to a shop to get done? I'm also thinking it could be the pump.

I'm not getting any check engine codes. I've tried to gas pedal procedure to see if I could bring up any codes with no success (93, 320i) I'll have to see if I can borrow the code reader from someone.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
mirek
6th Gear Member

You can buy one at like Canadian Tire for around 50$.

You can also try to pull out the rear seat, and put the key into pos2, and listen to see if the pump starts up.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member

I had the same problem of car running and soon as it warmed up it would die on me.

It turned out to be the spark plugs.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
R.S.C
Imaginary Player

As someone mentioned, it was due to the failure of my fuel pump. I just replaced earlier today and the car starts up just fine now. It took me about 15-20mins to swap in and out the new pump with cost me $60.

So just a warning to some ppl, don't constantly push your pump to it's limits by aways riding with the BARE minimum of gas, it puts a huge strain on it and it just might fail on you.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
Hey i got your relay! PM me your address and I'll mail it to ya since i am in Peterborough!
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
mirek
6th Gear Member

your welcome, niggguhhhh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: