Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Tom
4th Gear Member

Power window problems

Hey guys, I have a problem with my power windows in my e36 328is...So the problem is the passenger side window is acting all screwy, it rolls up half way then it stops and makes this annoying noise and doesnt roll up any more.. In order for me to roll the window up all the way I have to have someone push up on the window and I have to press the switch to roll it up...I think the window tracking system has been stripped and is slipping on a certain point, this is just my opinion..I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before? Also I heard from someone at the BMW dealership that the best way to put on door skins is having the car door locked and then you put them on, is this true? Also do you have to be in the car when the door is locked or door locked and you stand outside of the car and put it on?

Thanks, Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Simby
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Simby
I think the window regulator is broken. Had this problem in my car. Luckily it was covered by warranty!
Simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
UltimateDriv
Bimmerhead

Send a message via AIM to UltimateDriv Send a message via Yahoo to UltimateDriv
i have this problem also.....
UltimateDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Deneb
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriv
i have this problem also.....
Sounds to me like either an alignment problem or lubrication problem.
Take off the door panel.
Check to see if the reg sliding clips are on the tracks.
Unplug the motor and reconnect.
Lube the channels.
Do not lube the large cam gear that the motor gear uses to raise/lower the window.

IF none of that works, take the motor off the regulator. (sedans don't necessarily have to have the reg removed first to access the motor.
You can pull the cover off the motor held on by 4 torx screws whose direction of travel is PARALLEL to the door skin. Not the screws that hold the clutch cover)

You have to drill out the odd looking fasteners/rivets that hold the reg to the door and remove entire assy. (some cars have these and others don't)

Then remove the torx screws for the motor from behind to remove it from the regulator.
Next, take the cover off the motor/clutch and look at the plastic clutch inside.
Your rubber disc could be in pieces.
In mine, I found that I had a different piece that was integral to the gear meshing with the worm gear so you might not have the rubber disc.

If this is the case, there is nothing you can do at this point other than to lube it and reassemble.

That's what I did with mine in that order and it works as new now.

Two other cases:
Might want to re-initialize the windows and check the microswitches in the striker plate located in the door jam.
The latter does wear and produce erratic movement instead of the brief up/down when closing the door.
To test, hold with finger. You can build that up with epoxy if you like or replace it.

Last edited by Deneb; 07-05-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: