Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
gucci_boy
2nd Gear Member

Speeding Tickets in New York

Hey i got a speeding ticket in NY for 23 Miles over the limit...

i know it gets carried over to ontario ...has anyone ever gotten a ticket?

what did they do ? how much did it cost and how did u fite it..

..i dont wanna be out 1K US
gucci_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
summit425
Alpine White

alright... back in feb. I got 3 tickets..

1. speeding
2. plate covering (done by PO)
3. tint (done by PO)

hired a lawyer

notspeeding.com paid around $400ish

haven't get the result yet. He will ask you to send some doc. over fax and you need to purchase driver's abstract ($12CAD) thru ontario website. Driver's abstract is made by pdf file and make sure you save it.

A laywer seems little bit old and sometimes ask me to send one more time..
Luckly I saved my driver's abstract last time

If I were you,,, I will never pay and driver super safe next time.

You just don't need to get caught again.

For me since I am a perminent residence of Maryland so I went thru all the steps.. hope he get me out without any tickets.

A police gave me printed ticket (white) and seems like a fax paper.
didn't say how much on the ticket.

My friend told me that he got a ticket 3 years ago and he didn't take any action. He didn't get anything from USA. They didn't even send a document or something.. werid.. I think I did 80 in 65.
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Don't ignore a New York State ticket. If you don't pay, or fail to respond to the ticket, they will probably contact Ontario DMV and proceed with suspending your drivers license.

Give them about 2-3 months after your "deadline to respond", and the letters will start coming.

Ontario and New York DMV's have agreements with each other. Getting a ticket in NY is the same as in Toronto. New York DMV can and will get your license suspended in Ontario.

A traffic lawyer might be your best option.

Where did you get it? I drive through New York State all the time (East and West sides).
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
gucci_boy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
Don't ignore a New York State ticket. If you don't pay, or fail to respond to the ticket, they will probably contact Ontario DMV and proceed with suspending your drivers license.

Give them about 2-3 months after your "deadline to respond", and the letters will start coming.

Ontario and New York DMV's have agreements with each other. Getting a ticket in NY is the same as in Toronto. New York DMV can and will get your license suspended in Ontario.

A traffic lawyer might be your best option.

Where did you get it? I drive through New York State all the time (East and West sides).
i got it on I-90 around 2 hours from the border

Yea, ontario and NY have an agreement and it affects my CADS insurance and i get affected by ONtario demerit structure
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucci_boy
Hey i got a speeding ticket in NY for 23 Miles over the limit...

i know it gets carried over to ontario ...has anyone ever gotten a ticket?

what did they do ? how much did it cost and how did u fite it..

..i dont wanna be out 1K US

Got a speeding ticket last year on I90.
Found a local lawyer who got me off with only the fine, but no points.

Look up a lawyer (Google) in the town were you got the ticket, and call him.
They'll get you off, within reason.

Cost me something like a hundred bucks US (Visa card payment), but your speed is pretty high, so...that's 4 points here.

Last edited by EstorilM3; 07-02-2007 at 08:56 PM.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
gucci_boy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM3
Got a speeding ticket last year on I90.
Found a local lawyer who got me off with only the fine, but no points.

Look up a lawyer (Google) in the town were you got the ticket, and call him.
They'll get you off, within reason.

Cost me something like a hundred bucks US (Visa card payment), but your speed is pretty high, so...that's 4 points here.
how much did u pay for the lawyer?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
summit425
Alpine White

Read carefully
Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
Axel1
2nd Gear Member

Also, in the US, I think that if you don't pay (whatever state), that they have a warrant for your arrest (only in that state). So on top of the agreement with Ontario, if you don't pay it and were ever pulled over in the state even for a broken tail light or whatever, when they run your info, they'll see the warrant and arrest you on the spot. Happened to a friend of mine who got a ticket on his motorcycle in South Carolina (for crossing the double yellow line by a foot when going around a tractor) and just ignored it. The next time he was there in a car, he got pulled over for something stupid and the warrant was there. Stupid but it's their laws...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
gucci_boy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit425

Read carefully
100$ is cheap

mine will cost aroun 300$+55 court fees + 300 DMV fee

so 655$ USD
Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
summit425
Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucci_boy
100$ is cheap

mine will cost aroun 300$+55 court fees + 300 DMV fee

so 655$ USD
yeah $100 is really cheap..

I paid $400ish for the lawyer only. Didn't get the result yet.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:36 AM   #11
roadhammer
1st Gear Newbie

back in 1990 got a speeding ticket in New York state never paid it,fast foward 2002 coming back from the Carolinas at the toll booth at the border of Pensylvannia and New York on I90 dot officer was pulling at random trucks over and i got pulled over he ran a check on my licence came back suspended in the state of New York since 1990 the only reason i didn't go to jail is because the ticket was from 1990 and New York state and Ontario did not have agreement at that time,there was no warrant of arrest for me.Now i can't drive the truck had to have somebody else drive my truck from the company i was working for, luckly there was a team drivers just going by empty on their way to Cleveland, the husband had to drive my truck into ontario for me.Got a $500 ticket for driving with suspended licence in New York and had to pay old fine,payed old fine for speeding ,fought the suspended licence myself in court got it reduced to $40.00 and it never went on my record here in Ontario.

Last edited by roadhammer; 07-04-2007 at 02:39 AM.
roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
summit425
Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhammer
back in 1990 got a speeding ticket in New York state never paid it,fast foward 2002 coming back from the Carolinas at the toll booth at the border of Pensylvannia and New York on I90 dot officer was pulling at random trucks over and i got pulled over he ran a check on my licence came back suspended in the state of New York since 1990 the only reason i didn't go to jail is because the ticket was from 1990 and New York state and Ontario did not have agreement at that time,there was no warrant of arrest for me.Now i can't drive the truck had to have somebody else drive my truck from the company i was working for, luckly there was a team drivers just going by empty on their way to Cleveland, the husband had to drive my truck into ontario for me.Got a $500 ticket for driving with suspended licence in New York and had to pay old fine,payed old fine for speeding ,fought the suspended licence myself in court got it reduced to $40.00 and it never went on my record here in Ontario.
wow.....
Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #13
roadhammer
1st Gear Newbie

you learn real fast not to mess up in New York state.Also had gotten speeding ticket and child not in their baby seat in Pensylvannia in 1996 never payed it but when i got in trouble in New York state in 2002 called pensylvannia spoke with the clerk in the jurisdiction that i got the ticket gave her the ticket numbers and she said the charges were droped after 2years got her to fax me confirmation proof that evrything was ok,because in New York state the dot officer told me that if you have any outstading tickets the judge that has your case even if he dies retires it gets passed to the new judge there will always be a warrant for you.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #14
summit425
Alpine White

i am so lucky that I hired a lawyer to work with my tickets
Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #15
roadhammer
1st Gear Newbie

When you get your results,with your next trip into New York state i would take proof that everything is ok, because clerks have been know to make mistakes such as not clearing the old information and putting in the new one that clears you of any wrong doing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: