Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #16
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R
What?

Getrag is GM. ZF is german.
Getrag is a German company that's been around since 1935... what are these GM transmissions everyone is speaking of, and who makes them, GM? I've personally only ever heard of BMW using Getrag or ZF.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #17
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,288
people who can't maintain a bmw shouldn't drive one.

The unreliable ones are the ones that aren't maintained properly, like any car.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #18
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,228
^^^ Oh really... It's not that I'm in a hard up position and couldn't afford it - I have no problem with that. It's that I expect MORE from a company that's supposedly high end.

Deep
__________________

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #19
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
people who can't maintain a bmw shouldn't drive one.

The unreliable ones are the ones that aren't maintained properly, like any car.
^^^ x2

How many BMWs out there have over a million KMs? That's no big deal for a Chevy or Ford taxi or limo. It's all about reasonable operation, proper routine and preventative maintenance, and any car can last damn near forever.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #20
Big T
94 318is
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waterloo, Canada
Posts: 409
haha the real badge whores come out.
In the end its just another car, its not a super indestructable machine..
__________________
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #21
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
^^^ Oh really... It's not that I'm in a hard up position and couldn't afford it - I have no problem with that. It's that I expect MORE from a company that's supposedly high end.

Deep

I mentioned nothing about $$$. Taking care of something properly and maintaining it, does not neccesary mean big $$$.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #22
alexm520
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 289
GM & ZF Transmission and oil application chart for BMW:

http://home.socal.rr.com/tyrone/SD92-113.pdf


Alex
__________________
[under construction]
alexm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
I mentioned nothing about $$$. Taking care of something properly and maintaining it, does not neccesary mean big $$$.

Oh I maintain my cars alright - why is it that the BMW was the only tranny I've ever had fail out of the 10 or so cars I've had? I've never had any other major issues, like my power steering pump fail, but my BMW had that. What's the "maintenance" to ensure that doesn't happen? What's the "maintenance" to ensure that my sunroof headliner doesn't stick? What's the "maintenance" to ensure that when it got hot outside that my power door locks with no longer work until the cabin cooled down?

Deep
__________________

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #24
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
people who can't maintain a bmw shouldn't drive one.
The unreliable ones are the ones that aren't maintained properly, like any car.
Tell my again how you maintain a brand new BMW, so the control arms don't go out at 30K, or steering rack leaks at 50K?
How again do you maintain a BMW so it's Vanos unit doesn't fail at 70,000KM, or its' plastic waterpump impeller doesn't give way, or the rear subframe does not rip out?

My 2002 e46, which I bought brand new, babied and maintained well, has had $7000 worth of warranty claims. Most of the common e46 problems I 've had.
Before you start blaming me on how I drive, I purchased a Honda Accord around the same time as my BMW. It has more miles, and has not had a single failure..
That's right. Not a single failure.

Both my BMWs have spent more time at the dealership than probably 10 of my previous cars combined.

My Vanos unit is going, and I changed the oil ever 10,000KM, rather than the recommended 24,000KM. It's all highway driving too. My car has 60K on it!!!
Vanos units fail all the time in BMW's. That's unacceptable, when other manufactures can make variable timing top ends that are durable.

Germany Engineering is not what it is cracked up to be. In 2004, consumers reports indicated that VW was one of the worst manufacturers. Even the heads of VW were confirming that reliability is an issue and are working on improving it. According to studies, a used 1998 Lexus LS400 is more reliable than a brand new BMW 7 Series!

I love this quote from an article about most and least reliable vehicles.

European sedans may have many wonderful attributes. Reliability, however, is not among them, according to the latest Consumer Reports reliability survey. Sedans from VW, Mercedes, BMW fare poorly while Japanese models take the top spots.

Last edited by dtthiaga; 07-02-2007 at 11:58 AM.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #25
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,228
^^^ thank you...
__________________

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #26
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
My Vanos unit is going, and I changed the oil ever 10,000KM, rather than the recommended 24,000KM. It's all highway driving too. My car has 60K on it!!!
Vanos units fail all the time in BMW's. That's unacceptable, when other manufactures can make variable timing top ends that are durable.
LOL so you're changing the oil every 10,000 kms and you're wondering why a hydraulic system is failing?? I don't care what BMW says, change your damn oil every 5000. Just out of curiosity, how often do you change the oil on the Accord?

VW has sucked ever since they've opened their plant in Mexico - such a stunner!!!

With regards to all the "how do I maintain X so Y doesn't happen" questions, the answer is you fix them. Things will break, nothing lasts forever. The idea is to replace wear items as they come due. Most people don't do this. BMWs are engineered well enough that things can get very bad and the car will remain driveable, while other makers' cars will have their wheels fall off and what not (older BMWs anyway, I don't have experience with E36 and newer, with their crazy subframe falling off issues etc). The problem is when you let things slip, they make other things worse and before you know it, you end up with a huge bill.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,228
^^^^ I LOVE how BMW owners think that BMW's are the best things on the planet and that all these issues are acceptable. I guess that's how they've managed to become such a company - instilling this "holier than thou" attitude into their owners... As a former owner, I was like that too - then I saw the light...

And for the comment on the oil changes - so are you saying we should stop listening to the BMW engineers who also say we should use only premium in the tank? If we can't trust them to get the oil change interval right, who's to say they know anything they write in the manual?

Deep
__________________

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #28
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member
 
BimmerboyPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Smithville
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
Tell my again how you maintain a brand new BMW, so the control arms don't go out at 30K, or steering rack leaks at 50K?
How again do you maintain a BMW so it's Vanos unit doesn't fail at 70,000KM, or its' plastic waterpump impeller doesn't give way, or the rear subframe does not rip out?

My 2002 e46, which I bought brand new, babied and maintained well, has had $7000 worth of warranty claims. Most of the common e46 problems I 've had.
Before you start blaming me on how I drive, I purchased a Honda Accord around the same time as my BMW. It has more miles, and has not had a single failure..
That's right. Not a single failure.

Both my BMWs have spent more time at the dealership than probably 10 of my previous cars combined.

My Vanos unit is going, and I changed the oil ever 10,000KM, rather than the recommended 24,000KM. It's all highway driving too. My car has 60K on it!!!
Vanos units fail all the time in BMW's. That's unacceptable, when other manufactures can make variable timing top ends that are durable.

Germany Engineering is not what it is cracked up to be. In 2004, consumers reports indicated that VW was one of the worst manufacturers. Even the heads of VW were confirming that reliability is an issue and are working on improving it. According to studies, a used 1998 Lexus LS400 is more reliable than a brand new BMW 7 Series!

I love this quote from an article about most and least reliable vehicles.

European sedans may have many wonderful attributes. Reliability, however, is not among them, according to the latest Consumer Reports reliability survey. Sedans from VW, Mercedes, BMW fare poorly while Japanese models take the top spots.

The reason VW has such a bad rep, is because most of there cars are built in Mexico. I dont care what anyone says, a car built in Mexico will not be built to the same standards as a car built in Germany. Also theres been all this talk about how you guys have had lots of failiures with your cars, well you may take great care of it, get the oil changed every 10, 000km wash it every weekend and never drive it in winter. Well thats great but if you take it out to the track or out into the country for a spirited drive every weekend or you tend to nudge the redline on every upshift, then certain parts are bound to wear out faster.
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #29
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,551
Actually, I drive my Honda a lot harder than my BMW. Most Honda’s are driven hard, and take it! I’ve never tracked any car. I’ve got 60,000KM on the BMW, and I have the original tires, and 50% of my original brakes left. The BMW is babied, and still fails.

Failures comes down to poor design and stubbornness of the Engineers to learn from their past. Control arms in the e46 are similar to the e30. Guess what, they both have the same problems.

A lot (but not all) VW’s are ‘assembled’ in Mexico. A lot of the parts are made in Germany!!!

If Honda made a 330hp 2.0 Litre 4ycl engine, you would think that was impressive. But, if the motor looses compression after 50,000KM and needs a complete rebuild, that wouldn’t be impressive at all.That would be bad engineering.

I only consider something to be innovative if it has reliability and durability behind it, especially in automotive. Anything less than that, and you are not advancing technology.

So, why is it that the “best” handling sports sedans, AKA BMW, have very poor front ends? Yes, it handles great, but it doesn’t last. How innovative is that?
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #30
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
Oh I maintain my cars alright - why is it that the BMW was the only tranny I've ever had fail out of the 10 or so cars I've had?
You got lucky and the bmw caught upto you. Was the bmw tranny ever serviced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
I've never had any other major issues, like my power steering pump fail, but my BMW had that.
Was the power steering fluid ever changed? After time the fluid brakes down and the pump has to work harder, causing it to fail after contanst neglect, or if it ran low and you continued to drive it empty that could cause it also, again it could have been any number of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
What's the "maintenance" to ensure that doesn't happen?
Have your power steering fluid changed as recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
What's the "maintenance" to ensure that my sunroof headliner doesn't stick?
Use it regularly or ensure it greased before the winter. or learn how to work it and not jam it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL
What's the "maintenance" to ensure that when it got hot outside that my power door locks with no longer work until the cabin cooled down?

Deep
Don't let Shitty Machanics work on your car.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.