Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Where to mount belts?

I just picked up a set of sparco turino seats, and I was wondering if any one had any pics of seatbelt installs. I'm planning on using sparco 3 point belts.
They have a single rear ataching point. I am going to use the rear seat buckle for the atachment point under the rear seat. What do you guys think?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I'm running the Schroth quick fit "clip in" harness with my Torino. Basically, it's awesome. You can run it when you want, and take it out in like 5 secs. No pics at the moment, but i'll see what i can do.... I would highly recommend the Schroths, as they are street legal.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

belts

Where did you mount the belts to?
Do you know the part# of the belts?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
First off, don't use a harness on the street, especially without a rollbar. Second, don't attach the belt to a point lower than your shoulders unless you're using a harness bar.

If you crash, you'll have some nice spinal compression injuries, if you roll you'll have a broken neck.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Well your the second person to say that today?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

I was planning on using harness at the track, and regular belts on the street.
If I crash there is no diff between track and street?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'd only ever use the harness without a rollbar/cage at an auto-x, never at a full speed track.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

You really have me thinking now.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Whats you opinion on steering wheels? I'm on the fence about this one.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

If you get one and you plan to auto-x, make sure it's totally round. If it's for street/track, doesn't matter if it has a weird shape, it's personal preferance. 320-330mm is a decent size.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
First off, don't use a harness on the street, especially without a rollbar. Second, don't attach the belt to a point lower than your shoulders unless you're using a harness bar.

If you crash, you'll have some nice spinal compression injuries, if you roll you'll have a broken neck.

Do you still believe this to be true of the Schroths? From what I understand, they have an added feature making them suitable for street use. It is supposed to cut down on the compression injuries. They are DOT approved and carry an FMVSS# so I would assume they are safe.

Personally, I find that the stock belt doesn't ride right with the Sparco. It rides high on the edge of the seat, has a tendency to want to twist, and crosses too high near my neck. Even on the lowest setting. It's not comfortable, and judging by where it contacts my neck region, would be much more likely to injure me in a crash than the harness. I feel safer with the harness to be honest. Just my two cents...

EDIT*** from the website:.

What is Schroth asm® Technology and how does it work?

asm® is the abbreviation for anti-sub-marining, a mechanism created by Schroth to reduce the risk of submarining or sliding underneath the lap belt. Submarining can cause serious, even life threatening injuries to legs, spine and internal organs. How does asm® work? The device is positioned on the in-board strap of Schroth's double-shoulder harness. When the energy converter is deployed (caused by dynamic forces of instant deceleration) it forces the driver's torso and hips to rotate slightly into an asymmetrical posture which tightens the lap belt milliseconds faster.

and

Are the Schroth Rallye line of harness belts really street legal AND how can I prove it?

Located on the plastic ASM mechanism on the inboard shoulder belt of each harness, you will see the letters/numbers "FMVSS 209". The DOT created this Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 and Schroth has certified that the Schroth Rallye belts meet or exceed that standard, and therefore are street legal.

Last edited by 98Dinan3; 06-22-2007 at 12:17 PM.
98Dinan3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Can you take some pics of how you mounted the belts.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Dinan3
Personally, I find that the stock belt doesn't ride right with the Sparco. It rides high on the edge of the seat, has a tendency to want to twist, and crosses too high near my neck.
I just untwisted the seatbelt by unbolting it from the bottom of the B pillar and rotating it 180ļ.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

that's a good idea...I didn't think of that, but it would still ride too high on my neck. What do you think of the Schroth info I posted? Still unsafe, even with the DOT approval? I'd like your thoughts if you've got the time...

Edit**** just found this on the website also...

Just how good are Schroth harness belts?
Schroth harness belts are so good, that in Germany, you can order them on your BMW as an OE Factory Option!

Last edited by 98Dinan3; 06-22-2007 at 06:31 PM.
98Dinan3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: