Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Boss17
6th Gear Member

Hid Upgrade

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an H.I.D. kit for my 1996 BMW 328is. The only thing i need to know is if it would be a direct plug and play into my 9006 outlet? I was told i'll need H1 or H3 bulbs but ultimately i need to know if the 9006 outlet plugs into these bulbs.

I need to know ASAP so i can order my 10,000K HID kit.

thanks

Eddie
Boss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

i got depos h1 hids .....but i didn't install them myself...

i'd maybe contact the retailer on that 1, don;t know myself.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
PM Propr'one, he has HID's for a great price, and also great service, he's also local which makes it easier to deal with

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Boss17
6th Gear Member

Cool thanks
Boss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Souvrain
Jammin

Send a message via MSN to Souvrain
ive put 10 000k in my fog .. but its no good for driving light ... anyway good luck
Souvrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

im guessing you are installing the hid's into your stock headlights? i recommend getting a set of projectors first like depos, djpro's or something. Using the stock headlights with hid is a big no no, will blind everyone!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
UltimateDriv
Bimmerhead

Send a message via AIM to UltimateDriv Send a message via Yahoo to UltimateDriv
i dont understand why people like these 10,000K kits.

theyre more "ricer" than neon undercar lighting. What is so appealing about purple headlights?
UltimateDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
UltimateDriv
Bimmerhead

Send a message via AIM to UltimateDriv Send a message via Yahoo to UltimateDriv
and then theres the fact about being constantly harrassed by the po-po
UltimateDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
PM replied.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
To address the above posts, as mentioned, I would strongly recommend investing in projector headlight assemblies first before upgrading to HID's, the stock headlights will just scatter the light everywhere instead of focusing it in front of you. And 4100-4300º is the brightest HID you can get, anything higher or lower results in lower light output.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
black328i
1st Gear Newbie

anybody know where i can get my hid lights fixed? they no longer work.
black328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^PM me.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

I had set a goal to improve my vision. Driver vision is dependent on many components but the most important (and most expensive) component to upgrade are the headlights. If you wish to improve lighting, it is essential to get a European spec headlights that have a GLASS removable lens. It is also important to get a good brand like Depo, ZKW, or DJPros because the glass used to make the headlamp is tempered, meaning it is heated up and cooled down very slowly to make it more resilient to temperature change and potential shattering. The removable lens is key if you want to install the CCFL double luminous halos at a later time. These Eurospec lights also contain a projector for the low beams. I think you will find that even if you were to just get the Eurospec headlamps, your light output will be much brighter and more crisp and defined with regular halogen bulbs. Obviously if an HID kit were installed in addition to the Eurospec headlamps, your vision will be at its best. Stock headlamps require a 9005 or 9006 bulb for the low beams, but the Eurospecs will change your bulb requirement to H1 (low beams). So when purchasing an HID kit, you would get and H1 kit as opposed to a 9005. Color temperature should also be considered. Do not just go for the kit with the highest Kelvin. I have 6000k kit and it perfect. HID kits range anywhere from 4800K to 13000K. In terms of color temperature, and the higher K you go it goes from white to blue to purple, 4800K being white and 13000K being more purpley. Blue is actually more difficult for the brain to process, but white is perfect. Purple is also easy for the brain/eye to process but it is simply too bright and you stand more of a risk of getting hassled by Police. I have DJPros Eurospec headlights with a 6000K HID setup and my vision is immaculate. Coupled with Bosch Icon windshield wipers and Rain-x/Bug&Tar washer fluid you will have an unbeatable setup. The next thing I plan on doing is getting a good set of PIAA H1 bulbs for my fogs. They're super expensive bulbs but they are traditional halogen bulbs that achieve over 4000K which is uncommon among regular halogen bulbs. By the way, I purchased a set of clear lensed/chrome housing fogs. Do not buy these fogs. I had them for less than 2 months with Silvania SilverStar bulbs. One of them went out and I removed it to see what the issue was and it was like the bulb heated up so much that it made the metal connection brittle and melted back all the shrink wrap around the wiring. Just stick to stock and get some exception bulbs. I hope all this information was as helpful as it is long. Good luck and keep it clean.
6appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

^^^ welcome stranger, say hello
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock

6appeal, most ultra-bright halogen bulbs run too hot for some housings, why not put HID's in your depo clear fogs? I have 8000K's in my fogs, with the restrictors removed, i think it looks amazing!

And since they run considerably cooler than ultra-bright high wattage halogens, they wont melt your housings!

Last edited by propr'one; 06-18-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: