I am done buying parts. I went a little overboard in what I am replacing but I figured do it right the first time and not regret things later. So I am doing all of the chains, all of the chain guides, tensioner, oil press sender (yeah, i dunno why either), I sourced 30 new oil pan bolts to keep my powder coated beauty looking perfect, sourced new main bolts, valve stem seals for the non vanos head, and all oil related gaskets and seals are brand new. Its hard to find some of these parts - I used autohausaz.com for most of them but they don't have everything.
Stuff not in the picture is valve cover gaskets (all), some plastic cover caps, new caps for the valve cover, and some dowels for the flywheel/crank/etc.
ARP studs, and a 0.140" MLS are here also.
To be combined with these parts:
It should, hopefully, be one of the cleanest engine rebuilds I have seen! Just need to find a little bit more money to go to the machine shop and get the block decked and honed, the head checked, and then powder coat the block and head. I am going to probably be soda blasting my head this weekend and re-assembling it once it's checked out up at Jays shop.
Progress feels good!
So as everyone knows I bought a '92 E34 525i and am now getting around to building it. With much
thanks to Jay (Multiplex) and his gracious use of cleaning machines and such, I am making this thing look like it never has before.
Here are some pictures of how it looked about 6 hrs ago:
Then, Jay and I tried out the soda blaster - for those not familiar (and I had never used one until today, though I researched it...) it uses essential sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), water, and air pressure. It's not an abrasive - it has more of a chemical reaction to hitting the aluminum at accelerated speed... people describe it in layman's terms as "exploding on the surface" so basically the soda breaks down as it hits, without ever affecting the finish... and so... this is what I was able to accomplish:
and most importantly... the combustion chamber! Pay special attention to the valve seats! Freaking beautiful.
I am going to spend time removing the residue from headgasket and intake/exhaust gaskets, but you get the idea.
This head had 180,000+ miles of daily driving. It was formerly in a homemade turbocharged E34... the kid I bought it from said he never head detonation since he was running 7 or 8 psi on a T3, and now I 100% believe him!