Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-30-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Question OZ Superleggera's or BBS RK's?

I'd like some opinions on wheels, I'm looking to pick up a set of 17" rims really soon and am having a touch time deciding on which ones.....I've basically narrowed it down to 2 rims: the OZ Superleggera, and the BBS RK.

Both are cheap and light, and they both come in 8" widths, although the BBS is available in 8.5" too....

I think a few people already have the RK's, what do you folks think of them?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:43 PM   #2
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Keep the one's you have DAMMIT !

OR

BBS RK'S FOR SURE !

But if I were you I'd get the HRE's ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final.jpg (275.2 KB, 358 views)
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:45 PM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

rob did u photoshop that? thats not bad of a job..i got the original pic..whoever did it is good at photoshop...

nelson your a mofo..i swear im gonna key the car! lol jk

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:49 PM   #4
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

BBS RK's on E36....(GR8 Ride's car)... 17 x 8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (67.1 KB, 375 views)
Old 12-30-2002, 08:52 PM   #5
89325i
2nd Gear Member

Go with the RK's, and get the centers painted black to match your car.
89325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:54 PM   #6
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89325i
Go with the RK's, and get the centers painted black to match your car.
His car is not black,it's technoviolet..
Old 12-30-2002, 11:07 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
His car is not black,it's technoviolet..
Actually technically it's Madeira Violet, but yeah, it'd be too much of the same colour.

And the HRE's are really expensive, I'd rather get BBS LM's. But for the price/weight/strength range, the RK's and Superleggera's are the only two options i'm seriously considering.

And no I'm not keeping my current rims, you can argue all you want, they're not staying.

Basically I like the OZ's because they're anthracite (subtle) and slightly lighter then the BBS's, but I like the BBS's because of the lip (and I'm a fan of BBS). Neither rim is forged.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 12-30-2002 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:26 PM   #8
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Nelson,

What colour would you go with if you got the BBS RK's?

Dave
Old 12-30-2002, 11:32 PM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by M50E30
Nelson,

What colour would you go with if you got the BBS RK's?

Dave
I dunno, silver? I didn't know I had options.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:53 PM   #10
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Nelson,

Generally for the E36 all they come in is silver painted. There *was* a limited run of Silver polished (which is what the BBS RK II's are).

The RKs are a little more money than the OZ Superleggera's, but a better looking wheel in my opinion. I had two sets of them available, but they are both sold now. All I have left is a single, brand new 17x8 BBS RK (and I can get you a deal on 3 more if you want....only 7% GST as well, all brand new in boxes). The one I have is $450 (no tax), and I can probably get 3 new ones for $475 each plus shipping and GST.

The RKs will typically run about $500 CDN each, plus tax, retail around Toronto. Nobody carries stock, so you'd be ordering them anyway. The OZ Superleggera's will run about $430 CDN each, plus tax, depending on where you get them from. Tireworks *may* have stock in these.

Specs are essentially identical, all 17x8 (17x8.5 RKs are tough to find..., and tough to fit up front in the E36 without some fender rolling). Both are sub 17 lb rims, and strength is probably equivalent. Either of them make an excellent track wheel for a BMW.

I still love the look of the RKs, particularly the RKIIs. Quite painful when I sold those....

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw-driveway2.jpg (92.2 KB, 303 views)
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:05 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Pat, I was hoping you'd post (seeing that you've used both wheelsets). The RKII's are nice, too bad they're 5lbs. heavier per wheel over the RK's (according to this ) for the 17x8. Currently all my fenders are rolled (front and rear) so if I decided to go for the BBS's, I may try to source out the 8.5"s.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:03 PM   #12
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

According to BBS, they no longer have a 17 x 8.5 in the RK for BMW E36.

Check out www.bbs.com for the complete listing of wheels and sizes for BMWs.

They list them as 18x8.5 in both silver and polished silver, and 17x8 in silver and polished, and in two different offsets.

You'd probably want the 40mm offset, and not the 35 mm offset (which would push the wheel farther out) unless you had plenty of room to move on the outside.

I know of only one person who has the 35mm offset BBS RKs; all the ones I've seen from Tirerack etc have been 40mm offset.

For the RKIIs, there is a 17x9 option. However, those wheels were probably about 5lbs heavier each, and had to be reverse mounted (tire put on from the back side of the rim, rather than the front side). Tire shops hate you for that....plus it's easy to damage the wheel surface that way.

Pat
Old 12-31-2002, 05:29 PM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

So 17x8 all around it is then. Wouldn't a 35mm offset bring the wheel inward compared to a 40mm?

What made you decided to get rid of the RK's and get the Superleggera's if you don't mind me asking, just brake caliper clearnace?
Old 12-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #14
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

No, offset is the distance between the actual center of the rim (vertically) and where the hub point is. So a zero offset would have the exact same distance between the outer edge of the rim and the inner edge of the rim.

A negative offset would have the inner edge of the wheel closer to the mounting point, and the outer edge pushed farther out. The bigger the negative offset, the farther out the wheel is.

For the E36, offsets are positive (typically 40 mm), and the larger the offset, the closer IN to the strut the wheel is. So a smaller number (say 35 mm in this case), actually moves the hub closer to the true center of the wheel, and *moves* the contact patch farther out on the axle.

As to the Superleggera's, I went with them simply for brake caliper clearance; no other reason. Had the Stoptech's fit into the RKs / RKIIs, I would have kept them. Really nice looking, solidly built wheels the RKs. And the RKIIs are some of the best looking wheels around in my mind. Great for the street, and I basically gave them away.

Pat
Old 12-31-2002, 06:42 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Ah ok, I was having a hard time visualizing the whole offset thing in my mind until I pictured out a 0mm offset rim would fit.

Well, if I can find the RK's as cheap, or almost as cheap as the superleggeras ($1700 shipped/taxes in, at 1010tires.com) they are the rims i will be getting then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: