Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
97 535

Hey,

I don't have much info but my dad is looking at a 97 535 with 230k asking 6000.

Are these models reliable? Anything he or I should look for when test driving the vehicle?

Is it worth the price?

I will try and get more info later today.

Thanks

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
BigD
the misanthropist

A 97 535 for 6 grand? I'm guessing it's an 92 (or a mint 87) 535. North America didn't get the E39 535, and if it's an import, it's too good to be true, I doubt you could find a 97 528 for that. Other than that, if it's a 97 535, it's the same car as the 540 except half a liter less displacement.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Cool, I will get my dad to double check he might have the numbers wrong.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Red_Liner740
2nd Gear Member

never heard of a 97 535i

97's or the E39s came 528i (inline 6) and 540i (v8)

- 1994 530iT: M60B40'd + 5spd conversion, 18" Style 32's, Magnaflow catback, Voltglands, angel eyes, Erebuni ACS body kit, 10" sub and amp, Alpine deck, soon to be supercharged!!

- 1984 635CSI: 92 535 M30 5spd, Koni Yellows, Eibachs, Magnaflow cat + catback, short throw shifter, Style 5's, 2x 10" subs, soon to have 3.46LSD. STOLEN! baby's gone.
Red_Liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Yeah...no such car. E34 M30 535i stopped production in like 1993.

Don't feel bad. When my mom first got news of her new E46 323i, she told me she was getting a 528i.

-Jay

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

u probably mean a 97 528i and they are pretty much bulletproof. 6 grand is a bit high for that mileage, but if you can pick it up for around 5 that will be a fair price

the e39 is a smooooth machine
Old 05-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

There is most definitely an E39 535. It's a 3.5L M62. The E38 came with the same engine (they used it in the first Transporter). I wonder why we didn't get these cars. I bet the 535 was a great compromise between the fuel thirsty 540 and the dog 528.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
.......fuel thirsty 540 .......
Huh, my 540i gets over 31 MPG on highway and 24MPG city, that's better then some 6 cylinders out there.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3
Huh, my 540i gets over 31 MPG on highway and 24MPG city, that's better then some 6 cylinders out there.
Somebody set up the bomb to your calculator. The EPA rating on your car is 17 city 21 highway, and EPA ratings are absolute best case conditions - done on a dyno, at constant speed and load, accelerating like grandma. In other words you'll never hit those numbers, reality will be much worse, especially if you drive with any kind of enthusiasm.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Somebody set up the bomb to your calculator. The EPA rating on your car is 17 city 21 highway, and EPA ratings are absolute best case conditions - done on a dyno, at constant speed and load, accelerating like grandma. In other words you'll never hit those numbers, reality will be much worse, especially if you drive with any kind of enthusiasm.
That's strange, I averaged 21 mpg city highway, and got low 30 if it's pure highway....which is better than the POS Magnumb 2.7 I drive now!!!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Last I checked it was 18/24, which is better than an E30 325i/iS.

-Jay

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen
That's strange, I averaged 21 mpg city highway, and got low 30 if it's pure highway....which is better than the POS Magnumb 2.7 I drive now!!!
Did you actually calculate this (ie full tank, reset trip odo, drive, refill, divide)? Or are you guys going by the OBC? I mean the OBC isn't even close to accurate, it's an integral of an inaccurate value (gas tank level, which I haven't seen an accurate reading from since a 1950's ford truck with a barrel for a fuel tank).

Here's the official Gov't rating:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/13436.shtml

Quick google search, Motor Trend averaged 18.

You're right though, Jay. The EPA rating it had was 18/24, in the link above they say they've adjusted their older ratings to match the new measuring standard (I guess they made it more real world).
Old 05-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
It's absolutly not "the best case scenario" If you look at how they do their testing.

Their highway testing is done with a 16km 'simulated' run at varying speeds between 77 km/h and 97 km/h (not a constant speed). In the 540i 6th gear isn't even really useful until about 110km/h, If I use 6th at 97km/h I don't get great highway millage because the engine is lugging (as much as a v8 can). Personally I get my best gas mileage at 120+km/h in 6th with cruise control on, and I see an average of 8.5L/100km on the highway, sometimes even better.

The gearing on the 540i is the key factor in this situation, that is why you will consistently see 540i6 drivers getting better highway millage than the EPA estimates, and it's also why the EPA estimates list the 5 speed Auto 540i as getting better hwy mileage than the 6 speed. It's simply because their testing is not suited well to the 6 speeds long gearing.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius
It's absolutly not "the best case scenario" If you look at how they do their testing.

Their highway testing is done with a 16km 'simulated' run at varying speeds between 77 km/h and 97 km/h (not a constant speed). In the 540i 6th gear isn't even really useful until about 110km/h, If I use 6th at 97km/h I don't get great highway millage because the engine is lugging (as much as a v8 can). Personally I get my best gas mileage at 120+km/h in 6th with cruise control on, and I see an average of 8.5L/100km on the highway, sometimes even better.

The gearing on the 540i is the key factor in this situation, that is why you will consistently see 540i6 drivers getting better highway millage than the EPA estimates, and it's also why the EPA estimates list the 5 speed Auto 540i as getting better hwy mileage than the 6 speed. It's simply because their testing is not suited well to the 6 speeds long gearing.
Cool, I have been misinformed (edit: what load do they use though, that is the key. You can't measure how much you car will have to work in the real world on a dyno, when air resistance builds up exponentially, and not all roads are flat, plus I bet they accelerate slowly - well used to, that's why the 'adjusted' rates are much lower). Do you actually figure your consumption with real numbers?

How do you account for independent tests though, who consistently get worse mileage than EPA and as I noted above, the 540i6 is no exception, with MT averaging 18.

Last edited by BigD; 05-28-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Cool, I have been misinformed (edit: what load do they use though, that is the key. You can't measure how much you car will have to work in the real world on a dyno, when air resistance builds up exponentially, and not all roads are flat, plus I bet they accelerate slowly - well used to, that's why the 'adjusted' rates are much lower). Do you actually figure your consumption with real numbers?
The numbers I get personally are actual calculated numbers, the OBC is quite optimistic. If I go by it, It tells me I'm getting 7.9 L/100km or less on pure highway.

For the EPA and Canadian highway tests they use 'conversions' to account for wind resistance based on drag coefficient and frontal area. etc.

I heard a while back that they were going to add a 3rd test that would simulate 'higher speed' driving (100km/h +) and they would put that as a seperate rating for new vehicles, but I have yet to see them begin doing this.

Quote:
How do you account for independent tests though, who consistently get worse mileage than EPA and as I noted above, the 540i6 is no exception, with MT averaging 18.
I dunno, I can't really. Really there are just too many factors that could change the millage significantly. Like Elevation, temperature, gears, different drivers etc. It would be too hard for me to speculate why there are such varriances.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: