Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 6/8 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
classiccarsr
2nd Gear Member

Post Need some knowledge....

I have for those who dont know or dont remember a '85 635csi with frontal damage to it so here is what I am panning on doing well bassically its a list and you tell me from your experiences which you think is easier...

1-Take the front nose assembly off cut off the damage repace it with what I have found at the junk yard....and since its really only the core support then i will need to use sheet metal to form a likeness to that of the other peice of the nose i.e. the nose body panel

2-I think there was a couple of years where a 7 series had the same front as the 6series ....i find one of them and use that front peice ...

3-I dont know if this is possible take the front center where the kidneys attach and spice it into that of a 7 series that has a similar front end just a different center....and using that to fix my 6

or 4 something I would not wish to do but if i could get another 6series out of it ...well that would be great, but anyways sell both my 6series as a package either fix the damage or change the starter in the other one and diagnose the spark problem.......

Those are my options I am not sure since ive never tackled something this big well i would not call it big but yea im looking for the best thing to do here in my situation I am gonna post pics of the cars at the end of this post feel free to look etc.....

P.S.If it turns out that the front end can be fixed with one of the 3 ways then I would like to know also the following....

-How hard would it be to convert the 6 to 5spd??
-Approx how much would be a engine rebuild kit for said 6 be ??
-Would it be a sin to customize the car??(my veiw of customizing is it should retain pretty close to what it is and should be unique)
-And portaining to the 5spd conversion question what parts will I be needing??
-Finally would it be reasonable if I started the repairs in october lets say towards the end that is ......would I be able to fix it and do a paint job and some other things like street roll cagethe 5spd conversion if possible,engine rebuild, by July 14th, or to extend it to latest possible date August 20th???
(since I would like to have this car ready for the Walkins Glen Vintage cup i.e. because they(bmws) will be the featured marque in 2007)

Thank you....I know this is a long post with many questions and maybe stuff that dosent make since but i am in need greatly of anothers word on this subject
classiccarsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
633csi
CMckeller

Send a message via Yahoo to 633csi
About Your 6

You spark problem is in the crank shaft sensor or flywheel sensor, And this is were you need to find them on the driverside of the transmission right before the slave cylinder there are 2 lines replace them the car will run. now about fixing your car, I have a 1984 633 that I drive everyday and a 1985 635 that I am restoring my 635 was hit in the front you can only get the front end off of a 6 not a 7, take the car to a bodyshop and let them drill out the spot welds and put a new one on and fix any other problems that you may have. DONT CUT THE RAILS OFF and weld in a new front your car will now be shit and if you ever want to sell you 6 no one will want it DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, It may be more money but its the right thing to do. You should be able to find a front end in a yard but new you are looking at $1.150.00 or $1.500.00 and from what i found out there are a few in the USA and you would be looking at 2 weeks to get one if not 3-4 weeks from Germany that if you go and see you local BMW dealer. Now if you have the time and money and you want to change your auto to a 5 speed, look at a 5 speed from a 6 and see what you are going to need I know what you are going to need and it big money my friend BIG MONEY and lots of time. for a rebuild kit you want to call Metric Mehanie or web page look and see what you want to do and I think I know what you want its BIG MONEY. Now when you say custom do what you like but here are somethings to remember the 6 all ready needs a 300 pound dieit, is this going to be a street car or a track car,......look man we have to talk you need my help email me at collinmckeller@hotmail.com give me your phone number so I can call you, Because I may say something that may upset others. But I want to help you and save you some money

Last edited by 633csi; 10-08-2006 at 12:32 AM.
633csi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: